Builds LJ78 Build: "The Space Whale" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tighten the line that has greatest volume of diesel coming out. And crank some more.
OK. Unfortunately, I can't try it right now because the truck isn't at my house, but I'll try it ASAP.

I still feel like soemthing is off with the injection timing, because I swear fuel was coming out of all 4 lines before I clocked the pump, but I double checked the timing belt/sprockets and all the marks line up. I suppose a lot of air could have gotten into the fuel system, though, in the week while I was looking for that cap for the fuel return line bolt.

This is correct, right?

20210623_215302.jpg

ThAnks @Dprio34 !!
I'm just working on the LJ right now. I actually got it to start once by hotwiring the spill valve, but it was just smoke everywhere. I don't think the wore to the spill valve is working properly. I think there might be ground issues on this engine. Can you send me some pictures of where the grounds are on your engine?

For example, I have one ground that jumps from the left frame rail to the block, but that was connected to the pump bracket, and I'm not sure if that's correct. I'm also not seeing that ground cable that's in your picture with the bracket.

@gannex , You are looking at one of the battery grounds in the photo above. I run (2) grounds from the battery. (1) above, and another to the left fender.

20E57E78-C43F-43A9-A945-0CB446126036.jpeg

0F4FD5F0-AA53-438A-8B99-EF69BCEABF74.jpeg

Last edited:
I have that ground bolted onto the starter. Is this incorrect?

20210717_184447.jpg

There is another ground wire on the left frame rail. It was originally bolted to the bracket for the injection pump, but I think it should be on the block.

20210717_184910.jpg

OK so I found the relay for the spill valve and tried unplugging it and testing the signal at the spill valve plug, and it indeed comes on and off, so I think the wiring going from the harness to the spill valve is intact. I am pretty sure this means the ECU is not sending the right signal to the injection pump.

I brought the truck to a friend's shop (they're big rig mechanics) and they checked through the wiring harness. Unfortunately, I can't find the correct pinout for the ECU (there is one translated from Japanese posted on here, but the colours of the wires don't seem to match mine). Anyways, we eventually got fuel coming out of all 4 lines, and they confirmed that the timing is correct, so I think I have done everything correctly.

Last edited:
So I think I've found the cause of the issue where it wasn't getting fuel to all 4 cylinders. There was a short in the main relay preventing the spill valve from getting power. I fixed that today and got fuel to all 4 cylinders. But it still won't start and idle.

I brought it to a shop and they confirmed that it had enough compression to start. The only thing I can think of now is that it's because the TPS is disconnected (the TPS plug was damaged and I still need to fix it). Is signal from the TPS to the ECU required for the 2L-TE to start up?

I also tried a second ECU, so I've confirmed it's not an ECU problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom