LJ78 2LTE - Turbocharger Upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what is the best solution to reach over 200-250hp? what type of engine is recommended and what upgrades?

how much is it possible to catch 7.5-8 seconds for 100 km and 200 km top speed?

Why did you buy an old Toyota diesel truck if you want to go fast? :rofl:

New V8 pick-up trucks in North America are fast. 2007+ Toyota Tundra has a 5.7l 400hp V8. Not sure what you have in Europe though.

I really like my pickup, I have had it since 2004 and I am a fan of vintage

I can tell you that you could tune up your 2LT for a lot more power. It takes some time and money though. It will be much stronger than it is now; at least 50% more power.

But if you want fast, you need a different vehicle. Maybe buy a sports car as a second vehicle?

Understood. however for what I am asking do you think it is worth investing in this engine or do you suggest someone else? 1kz?

That is a tough question. If your engine is the late model 2LT with the better cylinder head, and you know all the history of the engine, it runs well, then maybe it is best to keep it.

A 1KZT has more power potential (12mm injection pump), but is a risk as you may not know the condition of the engine. It will also cost a lot to transplant, especially if you need to pay someone.

If it was me, I think I would keep the 2LT and work with it.

Does your engine look like this? If so, it's the last generation 2LT, and is the best:

HILUX-2.4-TD-122825-Kms-4-1.jpg

no it's not him. I had this engine and I broke it. I put another of the same type which was not good at all. I did a turbo repair, changed the springs on the engine and now it works well but it is very slow

no it's not him. I had this engine and I broke it. I put another of the same type which was not good at all. I did a turbo repair, changed the springs on the engine and now it works well but it is very slow

Ahh, OK, I see. Well, maybe it is time to move away from the old 2LT to 1KZT or 1KDFTV.

Interested too in any td04 update? Have you got around with the fabrication of those adapters?

Interested too in any td04 update? Have you got around with the fabrication of those adapters?

No, have not made one yet. Having looked at my TD04 a bit more, I realize an angled adapter may be needed. Or at least, the CHRA and compressor housing will need to be clocked relative to the turbine housing. The reason being, the turbo drain needs to face down and the compressor housing outlet needs to face the same as the stock CT20. (the angled 2LTE manifold flange throws the geometry of the turbo a bit, as it's designed for a level manifold flange.)

I did receive an alibaba dump pipe though! It's a total POS, but will do the job ok with some modification.

I've thought of buying a td04 flange and a ct20 flange, and welding the two together on the correct wedge angle. The flanges are a bit pricey though. Can make my own but just need time.

No, have not made one yet. Having looked at my TD04 a bit more, I realize an angled adapter may be needed. Or at least, the CHRA and compressor housing will need to be clocked relative to the turbine housing. The reason being, the turbo drain needs to face down and the compressor housing outlet needs to face the same as the stock CT20. (the angled 2LTE manifold flange throws the geometry of the turbo a bit, as it's designed for a level manifold flange.)

I did receive an alibaba dump pipe though! It's a total POS, but will do the job ok with some modification.

I've thought of buying a td04 flange and a ct20 flange, and welding the two together on the correct wedge angle. The flanges are a bit pricey though. Can make my own but just need time.
What about a CT9? It's a newer, better design turbo that should spool much earlier than a CT20 and utilizes the same oil and water lines, so no need for adaptors. Would that be considered an "upgrade" from a ct20 if all I want is earlier spool up? I got a quite large fmic and I'd like a turbo that could start boosting a bit earlier, my current one is pushing some oil in the charge pipes so I'll remove it anyway to either rebuild, replace or upgrade.. wondering if stud pattern of exhaust manifold is the same..

What about a CT9? It's a newer, better design turbo that should spool much earlier than a CT20 and utilizes the same oil and water lines, so no need for adaptors. Would that be considered an "upgrade" from a ct20 if all I want is earlier spool up? I got a quite large fmic and I'd like a turbo that could start boosting a bit earlier, my current one is pushing some oil in the charge pipes so I'll remove it anyway to either rebuild, replace or upgrade.. wondering if stud pattern of exhaust manifold is the same..

Interesting you mention the CT9. It's actually what Toyota put on the later 2LTE right from factory! Look up LN165 on Megazip and compare the turbo related parts to the LJ78. I *think* the CT9 might actually bolt right to the older manifold, but not 100% without digging back into part drawings/numbers.

Anyhow, my feeling is the CT9 would be awesome at stock boost levels, but would quickly run out of puff on an upgraded engine. (intercooled running higher boost).

I have thought of making a hybrid CT9/CT20. But just not worth the effort for old tech. I think a modern turbo like the TD04L is a better solution.

Here are pictures of the 2LTE CT-9 version (chinese one). I do have pictures of an OEM Toyota one too if you want.

turbo-para-toyota-hiace-o-toyota-hilux-2lt (1).jpg
turbo-para-toyota-hiace-o-toyota-hilux-2lt (2).jpg
turbo-para-toyota-hiace-o-toyota-hilux-2lt (3).jpg

Last edited:
I was also considering a td04 or even a gt2052, I wouId prefer to avoid adaptor fittings for a cleaner, "factory" setup so I begun considering this Toyota option. I'm not after high boost, have never messed with fueling too, so even if I get 12-13psi out of the CT9 but earlier on the rev range that would worth the upgrade for me.

I was also considering a td04 or even a gt2052, I wouId prefer to avoid adaptor fittings for a cleaner, "factory" setup so I begun considering this Toyota option. I'm not after high boost, have never messed with fueling too, so even if I get 12-13psi out of the CT9 but earlier on the rev range that would worth the upgrade for me.

I'd say it's worth a try. I'd love to hear how it works out. I run a Chinese CT20 and it's given me no grief. Maybe buy a new Chinese CT9 (make sure it's the Hilux version as pictured above) and see how it goes. I know I've been tempted. Turbo is so easy to change on these motors.

That's the plan, I'll source a chinese ct9 (yes, the square hole one) and everything but the downpipe should bolt straight up. Fuel is untouched from factory as my grandfather bought the truck new and never messed with it, so I'll have pretty good impressions on the performance/efficiency difference of the two turbos. Just spent €700 on new 235/85 conticross set so this project might not get done right away, but soon enough! Will definitely update the thread!

That's the plan, I'll source a chinese ct9 (yes, the square hole one) and everything but the downpipe should bolt straight up. Fuel is untouched from factory as my grandfather bought the truck new and never messed with it, so I'll have pretty good impressions on the performance/efficiency difference of the two turbos. Just spent €700 on new 235/85 conticross set so this project might not get done right away, but soon enough! Will definitely update the thread!

In case you're interested, here are how the three different turbo compressor/turbine sizes compare (from what specs I can find):

CT9 (Toyota Starlet)
Compressor (ind/exd) Turbine (Ind/Exd)
34/48.1mm 46/36mm

CT20A (1990 Toyota LJ78)
39.6/57mm 60/44mm

TD04L-13T (2006 Subaru WRX turbo)
40.3/56mm 47.2/41.1mm

This is why I thought the TD04L would be a good 'performance' match for the 2LTE. It has a much smaller turbine, but more efficient. Very close in size to the CT9 in fact. But the compressor is the same as the CT20 compressor. So hopefully, faster spool, but still decent pressure ratio and flow potential. Of course there is way more to it with A/R specs etc. that I don't know.

Lots to be said for bolt on upgrades though. I hope the CT9 works out really well. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

In case you're interested, here are how the three different turbo compressor/turbine sizes compare (from what specs I can find):

CT9 (Toyota Starlet)
34/48.1mm 46/36mm

CT20A (1990 Toyota LJ78)
39.6/57mm 60/44mm

TD04L-13T (2006 Subaru WRX turbo)
40.3/56mm 47.2/41.1mm

This is why I thought the TD04L would be a good 'performance' match for the 2LTE. It has a much smaller turbine, but more efficient. Very close in size to the CT9 in fact. But the compressor is the same as the CT20 compressor. So hopefully, faster spool, but still decent pressure ratio and flow potential. Of course there is way more to it with A/R specs etc. that I don't know.

Lots to be said for bolt on upgrades though. I hope the CT9 works out really well. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
Thank you for providing this information! Looks like compared to the stock CT20A, a CT9 will start spooling much sooner! I know some starlet/glanza fellows have been running 1.1 bar with them in stock form and other supportive mods, so if I can get close to 1 bar considering my large fmic, then I'll be very happy! Biggest goal is to get that early spool in 2nd gear, being a manual when climbing up a hill in first and shift, I feel that power "gap" until engine gets up to sufficient rpm and start spooling that large turbine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom