LJ 70 (2LTII) Oil leak problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody! I own an LJ70 from 1990 with a 2.4TD 2LTII engine. The car has got 330.000km, I really love it, it's another world to drive it. After 4-5 kilometers (cold starting) it doesn't have got any more smoke, everything feels ok. Coolant level and temperature is constant. Unfortunately my happiness is not endless. I've got oil leaks on the engine. Where I live, I can't find a good mechanic specialized for this kind of car, however today I found somebody, but he is 500 kilometers away from me...

I marked the mostly affected areas, however I know, this kind of photos don't say much, the quality of them is not good enought too, but could give me somebody some directions? Could it be a cylinder head gasket problem? Is the situation very bad? The cylinder head cover gasket looks fine!

IMG_2141.JPEG
IMG_2430.JPEG
IMG_2413.JPEG
IMG_2393.JPEG
IMG_2382.JPEG

@HP96 , you have a few miles on that engine like most of us. Doesn’t really look that bad in the photos you posted. At least 2 of your pics have fuel lines to the injection pump circled in red. I would make sure the fuel lines are secure without going mongo on them. Also, I’d replace the valve cover gasket since that is probably hard by now. Also check the oil line coming off of the alternator. clean the engine compartment up good. Monitor oil level after a fresh oil change. If you burn / lose less than a half a liter between scheduled oil changes, I personally would not stress over what you halve posted. Enjoy driving it!

Last edited:
@HP96 , you have a few miles on that engine like most of us. Doesn’t really look that bad in the photos you posted. At least 2 of your pics have fuel lines to the injection pump circled in red. I would make sure the fuel lines are secure without going mongo on them. Also, I’d replace the valve cover gasket since that is probably hard by now. Also check the oil line coming off of the alternator. clean the engine compartment up good. Monitor oil level after a fresh oil change. If you burn / lose less than a half a liter between scheduled oil changes, I personally would not stress over what you halve posted. Enjoy driving it!
Finally the engine has been rebuilt. Except the pistons and the crankshaft (they were in impeccable condition) all parts are now OK. Every gasket and seal is changed with factory new ones and the head has been reworked (with factory gasket mark "F") too. Now I haven't got any leaks, the engine runs smooth, uses 7,5-8l diesel / 100km. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom