Little help deciding.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
My 60 is sold pending funds, new owner will pick her (BeBe) up on Sunday this week.
With that said, I am on the hunt for an LX/100.
There are two that are semi local to me (less than 200 miles) that I am interested in but really I am on the fence about both...

Similarities:
- Both less than $8k
- Both pre-03 (for nav-delete) 99 and 2000
- Both at smaller used car dealerships
- Both less than 250k mileage
- Both have similar service records (about 16 records, not much else on Toyota/Lexus of Carfax)
- Both have clean carfax (no liens or accidents reported) so bodies and interiors are 7/10
- Both have hitches already installed

Differences:
- LX has 178k vs. 100 has 239k
- LX vs. 100 (so AHC and NAV vs. rear locker, non-nav)
- 100 is a 1 owner vehicle vs. LX is 4 owner
- 100 is champagne brown vs. LX is blue vapor metallic (odd blue grey with grey lower fascia)
- 100 vs. LX lights (both are glass though instead of plastic)

Like I said I am on the fence about both, leaning more to the 100 for looks/color and single owner but the mileage of the LX has me liking that a bit more. They are both semi-close to one another so hopefully I can get some time next week (once funds clear my account) to run down and check both out.
But if it were up to you, which would you pick and why.

100 - Sacramento
LX470 - Davis

Last edited:
Mileage is close enough between them. The LC interior looks a lot cleaner than the LX (to my eye), one owner is a plus (to me). Your losing out on the 4 pinion front diff and ATRAC that you would get with the LX. Also the LX has the LATCH system so if you have kids, it'll be easier strapping down their seats. That LX might be one of the colors that have fading problems, you can search here on mud for more info about that color. Can you ask for pictures of both of the engine/undercarriage? That may help you pick the winner. Good luck with your search.

Going by your Bebe thread, and your willingness to dive in, I’d go with less mileage. The other stuff you can easily overcome, but less overall wear has real value.

Mileage is close enough between them. The LC interior looks a lot cleaner than the LX (to my eye), one owner is a plus (to me). Your losing out on the 4 pinion front diff and ATRAC that you would get with the LX. Also the LX has the LATCH system so if you have kids, it'll be easier strapping down their seats. That LX might be one of the colors that have fading problems, you can search here on mud for more info about that color. Can you ask for pictures of both of the engine/undercarriage? That may help you pick the winner. Good luck with your search.

No kids but nieces and nephews but all are 3yrs old an above at this point. We don't babysit unless we borrow one of their parents vehicles with system strapped in already. So the LATCH system is no a deal breaker.

As far as engine and undercarriage, good call. I did check and the LX is a Reno Native and moved to Cali in last few years. LX is Cali, Central Valley only vehicle. So not overly worried about stuff like rust.

The looks of the LX have started to grow on me, hence why I am having a hard time deciding. Part of me wants to lean on the mileage/one owner thing but not overly fond of the color. Yeah it can be repainted and I have done that myself already on BeBe. Wouldn't mind doing it again but not something that I would want right away. The other stuff like the AHC and NAV are kinda a bummer but again, not deal breakers. NAV just means I would have to deal with the antiquated system for a while to build up funds for the swap (from the threads about $2k all in) and the AHC, as long as it was taken care of will be something there until I have money burning a hole in my pocket for the lift kit.

Conversely I wouldn't have to worry about those things with the 100. Which is what has me leaning more towards that, plus I like the color. I am going to check and see if they have indication on both of when the TB/WP was done last with the engine and undercarriage shots.

Rear locker is an incredible value 👌 Love my 99 but be prepared to put some money into parts with either vehicle.

Also, not having to screw with removing AHC in the future is a peace of mind

I would try to get the price of the 100 down to make the decision a little easier. Why spend $2k on Nav when you can put that to other more fun items such as a lift and sliders. That 100 looks really clean and better shape than mine and I have 40k less miles. However that dealership name is awful.

Land Cruiser gets my vote here

LX looks better to me, I think the headlights have aged way better, but I'm biased. I also like my HID retrofits that look great compared to the LC headlights. Interior of LX is nicer as well... quieter, all one-up one down windows, nicer leather, etc etc.

P much if you want the factory locker, thats why I'd buy the LC. Which I wouldnt blame you for... but putting in lockers is just a good reason to throw in some 4.88's as well. :cool:

Edit: LX is a way better color of those two choices as well. IMPO.

Have a mechanic put them both on a lift and check them out. Tires and timing belt could cost you another $1500. I could say that one is better, then you could have a mechanic find evidence of frame work and parts being zip tied on. Or the one you prefer could need a new valve cover gasket, springs, and the front seats are torn... totaling about $800, the less desirable one could be perfect but need tires, totaling $800. Oh, and pay close attention to the glass. The LC has the back seats, the LX doesn’t...

I just bought a white 01 LX with 236k miles from a used car dealership in the SF Bay Area(Vallejo) for $6000.01 out the door. It needed new leather on the front seats, the cloth speaker covers need to be replaced, the hood shocks are useless, the reflective piping that belts the car is flaking, the rear passenger window control on the driver's door is broken ($700) and someone attempted to paint the factory rims black. Those problems are awesome for negotiating, they have nothing to do with drivability but destroy it's desirability. With my knowledge of lefty loosey, adhesives, solvents and YouTube tutorials I can address those problems for almost nothing.

The specific LX you are asking about has been at that dealership since I started seriously looking at 100 series back in early September. According to CarGurus it had been for sale for 118 days. It's the end of the quarter, it's the end of the year, the car has been there for way too long. Get it checked out, sleep on it, then low ball them with something reasonable. I got an online offer of $6350 from a broker for an 02 LX with 160k miles. So that's a good reference point for what the car is really worth. That particular one is a year older with an accident and it's missing seats that cost about $500 to replace. I would offer $5,250 out the door. If you actually have the cash I would make an offer on the land cruiser of $6k out the door. When the professionals on Florin Rd scoff, point out that you have cash, and that Christmas and New Year's are coming up. Something tells me that an operation on Florin Rd that's named after a crime doesn't have the strickest rules on depositing cash into the bank.

I test drove quite a few 100 series and paid mechanics to look at a few I didn't buy. I don't regret paying to look at a car I don't own, I learned that the problems my car does have are nearly universal and shouldn't scare me away from that particular VIN. They almost all thunk when the drive line is placed under tension. The bushings are likely shot. But if you hear an expected thunk, you can negotiate a lower price. Assume the same about the steering rack, it may be fine but just know that it may need replacement after 20 years.

With the LX you can look up service records https://www.driverslogin.com/ from Lexus. You can find notes where it tells you that the customer refused to address issues for years on end (I would still buy it, but I would use the knowledge to negotiate). Cycle the ahc through all of its settings(all doors closed, ignition running, it won't work if your foot has been on the brake for over 5 seconds) a few times when you test drive the LX, it may improve the ride quality.

AHC height test.
Put vehicle in LOW. Mark fluid level in AHC reservoir.
Put vehicle in HIGH.
Number of graduations (ticks) on the reservoir from LO to HI should be at least 7. If less, your globes are shot and it's very expensive to replace.

P.S. an LX isn't a Land Cruiser and it never will be. Out here Land Cruisers have about a $1k premium vs identical LXs. Having an LX feels how I imagine being an all star on the Clippers would feel, everyone knows that you want to be wearing the Lakers jersey even though the only difference is a few letters.

Last edited:
P.S. an LX isn't a Land Cruiser and it never will be. Out here Land Cruisers have about a $1k premium vs identical LXs. Having an LX feels how I imagine being an all star on the Clippers would feel, everyone knows that you want to be wearing the Lakers jersey even though the only difference is a few letters.

LOL I feel the opposite. LX headlights have aged so much better (and though expensive, @Luke111's HID upgrades are...well, nothing compares). Color and headlights would sway my decision, all other things considered/even. ATRAC is really good in crap weather, but coming from a 60, you'll be fine. I think @ikarus's LX is one of the best rigs on this board—looks amazing (same color, I think), and he uses the hell out of it.

But given these two specifically, I'd also head towards the single owner and rear locker. If maintenance looks good on the LC, then it's kind of a no-brainer.

Yeah the ability to upgrade the LX headlights to HIDs is nice but not a deal breaker. I like the aesthetics of the LC more than the LX. However, the ATRAC is definitely something else that I did not think of. We have that in our 2011 4Runner and it nice in the snow and ice this time of year. You hear it kick every once in a while but I would not say that it is something that saves us.

The single owner things, depending on how well he/she took care of it, is really what is the kicker for me. And @changingground is right in that I really won't have much issue diving into the truck if there is some maintenance or work that needs to be done. Big ticket items like the TB/WP will be something that I will farm out to the local Toyota Dealership (we have a good relationship with them) or one of the smaller shops that I trust and get good reviews. With that many miles I kinda assume that the CV boots will at least need to be replaced probably along with pretty much any other bushing on the vehicle.

@NickSonoma So you actually looked at the blue LX in Davis? Good to know! Yeah I will likely be walking into the dealership with cash in hand so I will be throwing a low number to start with with the caveat that I have green to back it up HERE and NOW. I know that I would be happy with either but I will most likely have to rely on myself to do the checking and whatnot as it is a 2hr+ drive (depending on weather) to get into Sac for me. Add to that the need to coordinate with the wife to ensure she doesn't have clients, we are likely talking a full day over the hill regardless. So there really will not be any "sleeping on it". More likely I will stop at the LC first and foremost to check it out, if something has my feelers up then I will head to Davis. Otherwise, I will likely throw them a low number.

The guy at the dealership has been communicative with me so that has been nice. He has answered any of my questions I have asked and said he would try to get undercarriage and engine bay shots today. But even the Facebook Marketplace KBB price thingy says that they are high, giving it a range of $4941-$7815, which has me thinking if everything looks good and they can show that TB/WP were done recently (sticker in engine bay) then I will offer them $6500. If not, then it will be $5500 with the indication that having a shop do the job will cost me about $1200 ($300 for kit plus labor I think is what I found) and seeing as it is supposed to be done every 90k that would mean that it is WAY over due even if it was done at 100k miles. Then throw in the CV boots if they are wet/weeping and that is another $500 at the dealership/shop.

The LX has had 2 owners, not 4. Apparently the owner moved to Florida for a year or so and then moved back to Nevada. This is not a CA vehicle but actually a Reno, NV vehicle most of it's life. Inspect that DS rear quarter panel closely.

Honestly, sounds like you don't love either one of them. My advice is patience. 100s are tough to find but new ones will always pop up for sale. I had to fight the urge to buy ASAP. Thankful I was patient because I have one now that I absolutely LOVE. No compromise was required.

LX looks better to me, I think the headlights have aged way better, but I'm biased. I also like my HID retrofits that look great compared to the LC headlights. Interior of LX is nicer as well... quieter, all one-up one down windows, nicer leather, etc etc.

P much if you want the factory locker, thats why I'd buy the LC. Which I wouldnt blame you for... but putting in lockers is just a good reason to throw in some 4.88's as well. :cool:

Edit: LX is a way better color of those two choices as well. IMPO.

These are the reasons I ended up with the LX as well, really appreciated the extra luxury touches since this will be my daily. While I miss the later 5 speed and will have to deal with AHC in the future, I liked the lack of NAV and lower price of the pre facelift models.

Either way you are going to be good as long as you budget a few Ks to bring it up to your liking and take care of any deferred maintenance.

Just found this one and like the color, lack of NAV and another 1 owner vehicle. Price is pretty competitive out there so seems like it may be a good find.
2000 LX - Santa Cruz

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom