Little help deciding.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also found this one... getting into the Bay Area so prices are starting to go up. Mileage is nice (just over 200k) looks like it has some items straight off to negotiate price down not to mention the dealer has had it for almost 3 months.

1999 LC - Martinez, CA

The LX has had 2 owners, not 4. Apparently the owner moved to Florida for a year or so and then moved back to Nevada. This is not a CA vehicle but actually a Reno, NV vehicle most of it's life. Inspect that DS rear quarter panel closely.

Yeah, think I had information a little mixed up. Between those two (blue LX and tan LC) they both were of little worry for rust.
The damage is a little concerning, that would kinda explain the lower price (as it is lowest around) but no airbag deployment means that it should have been less than 20mph but depends on how it was hit. Based on time of year it was probably a snow skid related accident where someone hit them.

Just found this one and like the color, lack of NAV and another 1 owner vehicle. Price is pretty competitive out there so seems like it may be a good find.
2000 LX - Santa Cruz
This one is the most appealing to me... except it has the "dreaded" MY 2000 transmission. I would check to see if it had it's transmission replaced at any time. Some will say the likelihood of failure is less 0.00001%. Others will say steer clear of any 2000. Read up and make your own decision.

This one is the most appealing to me... except it has the "dreaded" MY 2000 transmission. I would check to see if it had it's transmission replaced at any time. Some will say the likelihood of failure is less 0.00001%. Others will say steer clear of any 2000. Read up and make your own decision.
??? I am unaware of what you are talking about? Can you provide links? I have not seen anything in my research or the FAQs about staying away from that specific year tranny? NVM I did some searching and found information. Nothing on LX or CarFax so may be a negotiating point to bring price down.

And yes, this one is more appealing to me as well lower mileage, one owner, non-nav, like the color. And bonus would be I could stop in and see some family in the area.

Last edited:
Start here... or just search "2000 transmission" I think it affects some 2001's as well though.

@hoser Awesome, thanks for the links. Looks like there is a slight chance that it has not had any issue, but definitely something to consider. Just got a response back from the dealer and there is a sticker in the engine bay saying that TB/WP were done at 183k on that one. That would make it close to time for another TB/WP anyways vs. the LC in Martinez that has 203k on it but they don't have any indication of when the last TB/WP was done (no sticker).

The recommended t-belt interval is conservative. When it does break, it is often collateral damage from something else failing along the path. The 2UZ-FE is said to be an interference engine but it seems 99% of the t-belt breakages result in no internal damage (VVT-i engines excluded).

Yeah so far the two that are hitting my "like" are the LC in Sac (first post) and the LX in Santa Cruz. Really wish I was closer to get a good once over. The one in Martinez is kinda nice as well, but something has my feelers up.

Just found this one and like the color, lack of NAV and another 1 owner vehicle. Price is pretty competitive out there so seems like it may be a good find.
2000 LX - Santa Cruz

Just got a response from this guy and he provided some extra photos via email. These two have me a bit concerned, looks like CV boots will need attention and possibly transfer or oil pan? Can't quite tell what that is behind the exhaust pipe that is wet.

DSC00256.JPG

DSC00258.JPG

Ok how about this one....
LX470 - Marysville

Has pretty good carfax report, low mileage but is throwing a PO430 code for the Cat Bank 2. (Looks like this should be an easy fix with new O2 sensors on passenger side). Guy has been super communicative on FB, sending lots of extra photos and video of engine running.

Last edited:
Well, the wheels are awful, but that’s easily solved. The tb/wp, AHC check, all the usual caveats apply. But it appears to be well kept. Service record?

Well, the wheels are awful, but that’s easily solved. The tb/wp, AHC check, all the usual caveats apply. But it appears to be well kept. Service record?
Guy that is selling it has only had it for a little over a year and has done a few things to it. Said he bought with the PO430 code just never fixed as he doesn't drive it much. Repacked the bearings and replaced one coil pack but other than that he said he has only put 5k miles on it, which matches the CarFax. Not a whole lot on Lexus.com and a decent amount of service records on the CarFax, nothing spectacular though and it is clean. Looks like it has lived its life in NorCal and NV.
At 185k it is due for a new timing belt and water pump which is probably why he is only asking $7200 (will probably offer him $6500 to see if he would take).
He did say that the rear gate has been replaced (you can seen that it has been debadged in one of the shots). Said that the color isn't exact but close. Happened before he bought it so no clue as to why and everything closes properly and what not. He said he would get more pics for me today.

Strong potential- I would have gone for that. The first pic shows a little oddity on the driver's side of the windshield- might be a photo apparition, or might be some defect in the glass? I'd give that a closer look. Otherwise, for the money it seems like it has great potential. At 185k it is going to have some issues, but I'm betting they're all within what you can handle. It's a solid starting point.

Yeah, he and I have been talking all morning via FB. Seems like a real nice and communicative guy. No problem giving me shots of what I ask for and from everything I see the truck is real clean. Will need new O2 sensors and TB/WP service pretty much right away but aside from that it is a clean truck. Has even sent me short videos of cold start, revving, etc. So pending some random issue while driving I think this is the one.
Also, the guy from Grand Thrift Auto (100 series in Sac on Florin Rd.) sent me a bunch of under carriage shots and that truck is super clean as well. I see what you are talking about in the first photo @changingground but looks more like a photo issue vs. something with glass. I will take a look when I go see it but aside from the engine code and need for TB/WP I think this is a pretty good deal at $7200 all things considered.

So now found this one here locally to me. Just popped up on Saturday and I have been in contact with the owner. Carfax has 60 service records. Guy says he has a bunch of receipts and is flexible on pricing as it needs new tires (about 5k left on them) plus it is about time for TB/WP service which he was quoted $1400 from the shop he has been taking it to since they bought in 2014/2015.
2000 LC - Reno

He said he does remember the PO they bought from talking about having work done to the transmission and is going to see if he can find the bundle of receipts from when the bought from the PO. So the dreaded 2000 year tranny issue may have happened on this one and been remedied. He did have new radiator done about a year ago plus new battery. Has sent me a lot of pictures via text and carfax checks out with what he has talked about (60 records). Has 251k on it, was his wife's mall crawler but they just bought a new tacoma as the kids are growing up.

Some new stuff has transpired for the one in Auburn that is putting my feelers up.

So the one in Auburn/Marysville (the LX) the rear has been debadged because the upper lift gate was replaced at some point. There is no rust to speak of but a number of dings and chips in the paint that are pretty good sized. Also the roof, the clear coat is completely peeling between the windshield and the sunroof and then in multiple sections to the back of the vehicle. The sunroof apparently works but is real slow, he says it has no leaks. The engine is also missing the cover over the intake (not a huge deal but something) and the third row seats are of similar color but not original to the vehicle.

The owner has been sending me lots of pictures and videos via FB messenger which is making me feel like I am the only one that has expressed interest in it as it has been on for over a week I believe. Don't know if I am over thinking things or if my feelers truly are onto something. He also said that it is time for an oil change but has only driven it maybe 5k miles in the year or so he has owned it so hasn't really worried about it.

This Reno one looks promising. CL ad sounds like you're dealing with a normal person.

TB/WP, some seat covers, and you're good to go. The running boards will be coming off anyway, right?
Yup... running boards will be coming off for sure. The mileage of the marysville one is what still has me but the other stuff just has my feelers up. Reno one also says they are somewhat flexible on price and we can discuss. Honestly with 251k on it and asking $6300 seems like a pretty good price. I would of course try to see if I can get them a bit lower seeing as it will need 90k service plus new tires. Either way both need the 90k service, but the marysville LX needs the Po430 code taken care of.

The Marysville thing makes me wonder... guy has it for a year and never fixes the issue? I'd be wary unless it goes super cheap and you are feeling adventurous. B/C remember that no matter what you get, no matter how clean -- it'll be old, so you'll be throwing some $$ at it after purchase regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom