Lippincott Road Death Valley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
Another bit of video from my March Death Valley trip. This one covers bits of the Lippincott road as I headed from Saline Valley to the Racetrack. Bumped into the Socal 80 cruiser group again. I had stopped at a wide turnout area after what I think is the 'exciting' part of the road based on other youtube videos and heard chatter on the radio from their group. So, figured I'd wait for them to appear and tag along with them to the racetrack, a couple of miles further on.

I found the road (this time of the year and this year) quite an easy drive, just requiring a bit of self-spotting in one location (rocky area). It's a decently wide road and if you just ignore the 'missing' bit of the road (i.e. the bit that drops into the valley below), it is just a dirt road :)

cheers,
george.

Not many places at all to pull over on the mountain portion.

Nice video George!! Skipped thru some of the entire 38 minutes but great flavor for the road. Thanks again for playing traffic cop with the two jeeps. They wouldn't have liked backing up!

Last edited:
Thanks Brent. Yeah, the jeep fellows were more than happy to wait for your group to go by. As you say, backing up would have been a non-fun event for them :)

Another vehicle came up after me (I had seen them parked in another turnout a couple of miles earlier), but before your group. Chatted a bit and they had turned around down there since they weren't sure if the road was going to get worse - I explained that they had done the worse bit and where they were was all smooth sailing/easy going down into the saline valley. So, they got to enjoy the bad area twice in one day :) Pays to have decent maps sometimes... AND if you see someone on a track it's generally a good idea to stop and chat - they had seen me but ignored me as I was driving by...

Was a great trip and one highlight was definitely meeting you and the other group members. Neat to put some faces to mud avatars, especially some long time members.

It is interesting that lippincott is a two way road, yet titus that is so wide & easy has been made one way. I suppose the park services figures that titus is such a tourist attraction that many can't be trusted to deal with negotiating safely with two way traffic while presumably they figure anyone on lippincott has likely some offroad skills.

cheers,
george.

I agree on Titus! That one is negotiable with a sedan tho as I recall. DV website does state that uphill has the right of way on Lippincott for all the good that may be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom