lift??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We currently have a shackle reverse on our '63 fj40, but we want another 2" of lift at max. We are setting the truck up to primarily be a DD. I can't decide what to do. We have contemplated doing a SOA. I have also contemplated just getting a 2" body lift kit. I've always been kinda against body lifts, but I don't want to pay $600 for a 2" suspension lift kit. What would you guys do? ??? Should we just do a spring over, since it would give us plenty of room? Or, should I just suck up my pride and buy a "poor man's lift" (body lift kit) instead. Take into account the fact they we were already planning on changing all of the body buhings out, so we would be down there anyway. Thanks for the help. :)

Also, if you are using nearly flat OEM springs you can add an intermediate-length leaf to each spring pack and restore an inch or so of lift.

I am sitting here researching suspension stuff on other sites right now. I had just started formulating a plan. I thought maybe some add-a-leafs all the way around in conjunction with maybe a 1" body lift. My goal is to be able to run 33"x12.5" or 13.5" tires when complete. I forgot to mention that we already have some lift through the shackle reversal and the use of extended Confer shackles. That is only in the rear however, to reduce the ass-end droop these things have. So, should we maybe order some add-a-leafs for the truck? If so, how many do you think we should put in? I want to try and avoid stiffening the ride as much as I can. I've also looked around for body lift kits and can't seem to find any. Any ideas on that? I think I am definitely going to install 1" of body lift as I needed to change hte body bushings out anyway.

1 long leaf, 3rd position in the pack. Any more and it will ride like a brick. IIRC, Downey makes a long add-a-leaf...MOST companies make a short one and it's nasty....LONGER is better.

Poly boat rollers and a chop saw...hole is already in the center.

I also think you should stay away from short AAL's. I've never run them in my cruiser, since I've only had it a short time. I have however used and broken some short ones in my last truck.

Long=more flex, more comfort
Short=rougher ride, more load carrying capacity(usually)

If I add 1 leaf all the way around how much is the going to change my driveline and steering angles. Will the effects be negligible?

I just talked to Downey. They claim to have a single add-a-leaf that is 46" long that gives 2.5" of lift. I am thinking about getting a set of 4 of these. Although I am a little skeptical as I can't see how one spring added to each pack will give that much lift. They say that they are supposed to be added to the top of each spring pack. Anybody ever used these, have any insight? Thanks.

another way to go is to have your springs rearched that should give aleast 2" my friend had his done and he runs 35"s with fender triming

I have no idea who would rearch springs, but I will look into it. :)

i have some extra stock spring packs is there any way to make add a leefs out of these if so how

My stubborness has gotten the best of me. &nbsp:Decided to do a spring over, while I don't really need that much lift, I guess I could stand it. Anyway, thanks for the input. I just can't stand to do stuff the "cheap & easy" way unless it's right. I may have some more questions before this is all complete. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom