lift springs are skinnier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
whats the deal, I got some BDS lift springs and they are skinnier then stock, how hard is it to make the springs the same width, so you would think that the bushings they supply would be a bit fatter to pick up the slop in the shackle, but nooo that would make too much sense, I gotta jam some washers in with the bushings to get a firm fit, how bootyfab is this, anybody else had this problem, now I gotta custom make some shackles that are skinnier at the spring end, not to mention longer cause the stock shackles with the lift springs are at the completely wrong angle (I emailed BDS about this they say leave the stock shackles in, bunch of dumasses, if i want it to ride like shiat forever, not to mention it would limit the springs articulation.) Even with longer shackles, the angle still may be off, I might have to reweld the shackes pirches farther back on the frame, but the spring co's wont tell you this, they just want to sell you springs :flipoff2:

Wonder if you got the wrong model.

Does BDS put their part number in paint, or some other way on the spring?

I have not heard of this with BDS systems, and could not imagine that they would be as popular with cruiser people if they were in fact made this way...

Dave is probably on to something. I would call BDS and find out what is up...

-Steve

no, i got the right springs this is something apperently most spring manufacturers do execept Old man emu i hear. Stock FJ40 spring width 2.75 inches. BDS lift spring width 2.5 inches, its only a quarter inch, but still, at least I've mastered counting to 10, its easy use your fingers ::)
008409 on rear, 008401 on front. maybe skinnier springs flex easier, hows that for a good reason.

The US standard for spring widths does not include a 2.75" width. 2.00 and 2.50 only. Anything else is custom, with custom pricing..as per Kreamer spring in Inver Grove Heights, MN.

well I'm in Canada so maybe my 76FJ40 has fatter springs than US models, that I never heard of? but the stock ones are deffinately 2.75

[quote author=dingo link=board=1;threadid=7249;start=msg60397#msg60397 date=1068248917]
well I'm in Canada so maybe my 76FJ40 has fatter springs than US models, that I never heard of? but they are deffinately 2.75
[/quote]

From all the trucks that I have played with, I have not seen a US spec Land Cruiser that has 2.50" leaf springs. I am pretty certian that they all had a 2.75" leaf.

2.50 is a far more common material to build leaf springs..All the spring shops here in Minneapolis laughed at me when I wanted a 2.75" leaf made for my spring packs..which are OME.

-Steve

oh ok i get you now, I kinda misunderstood ya :p

so what's the moral of our little story here,

A) you get what you pay for, (OME or go home)

B) spring it over ya wussy!

C) suck it up buttercup, it's only a quarter inch, it's better than something more usefull being a quarter inch :banana: :eek:

D) morals? what are those? are those the guys that do circumcisions? :-X

:ban:

My BDS kit fit just as snug as the stock springs. They were just as tough to get in as they were to get out! Mind you my truck is a BJ60 not an FJ40. Are you sure that you have the right kit ???? Maybe you have a kit for a Heep or some other.

BJ60's have larger bushings I believe

[quote author=dingo link=board=1;threadid=7249;start=msg60416#msg60416 date=1068251253]
BJ60's have larger bushings I believe

[/quote]
If that's the case then all '60's have larger bushings as my kit was in the catalogue as an FJ60 kit and I said "Yeah fine, same thing, the engine won't change the spring"!

from bds book.

8401 is front
40.375 eye to eye, free 7.875, 20 Frt eye to center, 24.5 rear eye to center, both eye dia are 1, 5 leafs, 2.5 wide, weight 33.75lbs

8409 is rear
40.5 e to e, free 9.25, f e to center 21.372, r e to center 24.625, both e dia is 1, 5 leafs, 2.5 wide, 34.25 lbs,

fj60 does spec a 1.4 dia eyes, a 2.76 wide spring, 5 leaf front 8 leaf rear (beef)

Just for craps, i checked the rancho cat, and it specs 1.38 eyes for the fj40 springs and a 2.75 wide spring.

[quote author=HI^C link=board=1;threadid=7249;start=msg60524#msg60524 date=1068266401]
from bds book.

8401 is front
40.375 eye to eye, free 7.875, 20 Frt eye to center, 24.5 rear eye to center, both eye dia are 1, 5 leafs, 2.5 wide, weight 33.75lbs

8409 is rear
40.5 e to e, free 9.25, f e to center 21.372, r e to center 24.625, both e dia is 1, 5 leafs, 2.5 wide, 34.25 lbs,

fj60 does spec a 1.4 dia eyes, a 2.76 wide spring, 5 leaf front 8 leaf rear (beef)

Just for craps, i checked the rancho cat, and it specs 1.38 eyes for the fj40 springs and a 2.75 wide spring.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info HI^C, was going to go looking for that next!

Stock FJ40 spring width 2.75 inches. BDS lift spring width 2.5 inches, its only a quarter inch, but still, at least I've mastered counting to 10, its easy use your fingers
2.75" = 6.985mm, Should be 70mm. :-* :flipoff2:

If I were buying new Springs, I would only consider Ironman as they state the Specifications.
TYPE A SPRINGS (E.G. TOY008A)
These springs are best suited for mostly on-road use. They have been re-designed and up-rated around 20% over new vehicle (OE) spring specifications and provide improved ride comfort, handling and control to cope with lightweight accessories while providing a slight lift above new vehicle ride height.
TYPE B SPRINGS (E.G. TOY012B)
These springs are designed and rated for the off-road enthusiast who requires ride, handling and control in harsh off-road conditions. This is achieved by up-rating the springs by approximately 25% over OE springs to support heavy accessories such as a bull bar, winch, etc. These springs are made from thicker spring steel that provides greater roll stiffness and carrying capacity while also providing a slight lift above new vehicle ride height.

TYPE C SPRINGS (E.G. TOY041C)
These springs are up-rated by around 30% over OE spring specifications through the use of thicker spring steel. These springs are 'heavy-duty' to cope with the constant loads and the toughest conditions.

TYPE D SPRINGS (EG TOY009D, TOY006D)
All type D Springs are for specific application. TOY006 is designed to cope with a turbo diesel motor while TOY009D is a spring used on HZJ75 series vehicles for mining use.
http://ironmansuspension.com/leaftec.htm

I have the BDS kit, they were just as tiugh to put in. I will measue them to see if they are 2.5".

how about this, your springs are right, but the bushing are wrong? a bushing with a wider shoulder would take up the space your putting a washer in. Thats my guess, if others with the same springs are saying they fit tight......

or how about this? is your fj40 a 1980+? if so you need fj60 bushing and shackles

John H

My BDSs (went out and measured) for my 40 were 2.5, and the oems 2.75, too. But I didn't have a bushing size issue. I'll bet John H. is right.

Hmmm, I installed Skyjacker 4" springs a few years ago, and they seemed to be a bit skinnier than stock too...But the bushings fit in there great, and there is no slop. I'd bet you got the wrong bushings...Don't know anybody here with BDS springs...sorry bout that.. :slap:

I was looking into having springs made and i could have gotten the 2.75 but the leaves were alot thicker. They were commercial truck springs for the isuzu/mitsu type box trucks. They would be the same width but ride like the old ranchos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom