Lift Done! Which Tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put the mystery Downey springs and new Bilsteins on the 80 yesterday with the help of a couple of friends. I say mystery springs because I bought them from a friend who had them laying around his shop, and he couldn't remember what size lift they were supposed to give. Well, it looks like about 3", and the ride was definitely much improved. The lift was very easy, went without a hitch. I'm really starting to enjoy working on this thing, now I just wish it wasn't 100 degrees outside here in S. Texas.

Now for the question. What tires? The stock Michelin 275/70's measured out to 31", and it sure looks like I have plenty of room under there. I was really looking hard at Yokohama Geolandar's, the 285 measures 33", but there is a 305 or 315 that measures a hair over 34". Do ya'll think 34 would fit? Any help is of course much appreciated.

The 34's would fit in on the wheels, but I don't think in the spare location, unless you have a tire carrier. On these vehicles, the spare has to be the same size or you will damage something.

I run the 285 BFG AT's, but I hear the Yokohamas are a good tire and a lot cheaper.

I just put on my 315's two days ago and it is such a great improvement. Plenty of room and just looks like it was meant to be!! Oh ya, I am running BFG Muds. :beer:

Well it just depends on what your gas budget is .... I have just put the 315s toyo's MTs on and their nice... great tire and great size....M2c

Last edited:
DigitalMRB said:
I'm really starting to enjoy working on this thing, now I just wish it wasn't 100 degrees outside here in S. Texas.Now for the question. What tires?

I know the feeling, I was in Del Rio all weekend working on my M416 trailer....the thermometer said 107 degrees. Now I'm back in Houston where its 95 and 70% humidity today.

I have run everything up to a 315 and IMO, the 285 BFG All Terrain is the best combination of bigger tire, price, availability in small towns and performance on hot Texas highways, a lot of which are the gravel blacktop. Here's mine with them:
FJ80Ann2.jpg

elmariachi said:
I know the feeling, I was in Del Rio all weekend working on my M416 trailer....the thermometer said 107 degrees. Now I'm back in Houston where its 95 and 70% humidity today.

I have run everything up to a 315 and IMO, the 285 BFG All Terrain is the best combination of bigger tire, price, availability in small towns and performance on hot Texas highways, a lot of which are the gravel blacktop. Here's mine with them:

That looks very nice and sharp! What tires are those? Are those the 285/75/16's?

I just ordered the OME 850/863 HD's and am trying to figure out what size tires to get. Most seem to suggest the 285/75R16 AKA 33x11.50R16. I was thinking of the 33x12.5x16 MTR's What advantage do the slightly skinnier ones have? Do they stuff into the wheelwells better?

Thanks

Boston Mangler said:
That looks very nice and sharp! What tires are those? Are those the 285/75/16's?

I just ordered the OME 850/863 HD's and am trying to figure out what size tires to get. Most seem to suggest the 285/75R16 AKA 33x11.50R16. I was thinking of the 33x12.5x16 MTR's What advantage do the slightly skinnier ones have? Do they stuff into the wheelwells better?

Thanks
IMO, the slightly skinnier ones (285/75 R16) are less expensive and (depending on where you are when you need a replacement) easier to find. Essentially, you're comparing the 285s vs. the 305s -- everyone has their preferences. My decision was driven by cost and availability. I had not had problems with the 285s when I had them -- traction on/off road. When aired down, they handled very well. The difference between the 285s and 305s (when not aired down) is about 3/4" in width per tire. Given that the 305s are wider than the 285s, if you do rub in the wheel wells, it'll more likely occur with the 305s. I don't think I ever had problems rubbing with my 285s (I have the same lift to what you ordered -- I don't recall anyone reporting problems with rubbing and 305s with that set up...

Tire update

Thanks for the input, guys. I went up to Discount to order the Yokahamas (I was going to go with 285's) and I got to lookin at the Dunlop Mud Rovers. I remember CruiserDan's post about ordering a set, and the price was certainly right, plus they were 8ply and non-directional, so I bit the bullet and ordered a set in 305/70/16. They are on a month-long backorder, so looks like I will get a little more mileage out of the good old Michelins.

It looks like Dan got the last set in the US before backorder.

THANKS ALOT, DAN. :)

Well it looks as if they dont even make the MTR in a 305/70x16, they only offer it in a 285/75x16 for the 33" equal

I guess that answers what size i am getting! :D

Boston Mangler said:
Well it looks as if they dont even make the MTR in a 305/70x16, they only offer it in a 285/75x16 for the 33" equal
I guess that answers what size i am getting! :D

Yes, the pic above is 285 BFGs. Regardless of brand, you will find that 285s are much easier to find than 305s, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom