LHD 1HD-T 80 In the Classifieds, this is interesting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Germany, Italy, France?... any other region that is LHD.... but the miles on those places would be higher that a JDM thats for sure

there was on for sale in ontario, I think it was in ottawa, but yes 300k on the clock, not bad but he was asking 12500, that's what I paid for mine(locked and arb'd with a h151f)

Probably Austria...

I wonder how much I should ask for my 80 if he thinks he's gonna get $37K ?

Shall we start the bidding at $24K??

It is a different market. Your 80 has a few more years before it could be offered as an export sale to the US.

Any US buyer should really dig into how this one was "legally imported and registered" and avoided their federal 25 Year Rule. We all have seen newer than 25 year imports come up on US Ebay. However, I have also heard of "legally imported and registered" imports of under 25 years being seized and crushed. I wouldn't risk ending up with a $37K steel brick to someone's claims.

I have yet to find a single first hand account of a US person having their car taken and crushed. Lots of speculation, but no info. 'Some guy with a nissan skyline in LA.......' is found in web searches but it is just like the JATO/chevelle urban myth no names, no images, no dates, no government entities.

Gray market discussions are just that.

Canada is different and the first hand account of a cruiserhead's (and mud member) truck getting crushed is well documented.

I also have deeply investigated the importation thing and the RI issue is pretty easy to get around. Newer cars are the pita.

The emissions is a kicker, but the regulations relate to HDT's and HZ's change in 1998 so post that year engines (automotive) need work to get into the country. It is a pure horsepower cutoff and mandate.

Tier emissions come into play after 2000.

You can sit and discuss corrosion all you guys want but the specifics are found in images of the truck and the care taken by current and previous owners. It could live in Michigan but if kept in a garage 10 months out of the year and hosed off daily there will be no corrosion.

As an Arizona resident I'd also like to say that arizona cars normally come from somewhere else. I have seen a hundred 40 series advertised as AZ trucks that have more corrosion than a Pennsylvania 1968 buick le sabre.

That all being said (now we are in chat) unless a hdj80 is gold plated I can't see a market for a $37K truck.

just purchased an HDJ80 in Ontario

I just bought a 1993 LHD HDJ80 with 1HD-T from a guy near Toronto, Ontario. Maybe it's the one referred to by northernrighty. Pd less than that asking price though. 316000km, in overall very good condition (of course I'm looking through rose-coloured glasses). Originally from Germany but came through Poland judging from receipts in glovebox. Some very minor rust, but clean and solid underneath.

But has a few things against it. km's of course, the leather seats are cracked but not split, the ABS does not work (not that I care), it has a rebuilt tranny replaced with the earlier mechanical version, not electronic, and the speedo does not work (maybe caused by the tranny swap?). Seems to me there is no O.D. or lockup converter, but I can't tell for sure. Most are things I can live with (using a GPS for the speedo but hope to fix it properly).

I looked for a long time for one of these in LHD, and they're not easy to find. That increases their market value for sure. I guess you get what you pay for, and you pay what you can afford...

There was a HDJ81 here on craigslist a few months back that was converted to a HDJ80 using a US FJ80 for 25000. When I talked to a guy that first week it was up he said a guy was coming from manitoba to look at it and haven't seen it since.

Apparently it was well done so if you can do it for a good price and market it to a Canadian province that are against RHD then good on ya.

Other than that I would be surprised if it sold for 37k.

I have yet to find a single first hand account of a US person having their car taken and crushed. Lots of speculation, but no info. 'Some guy with a nissan skyline in LA.......' is found in web searches but it is just like the JATO/chevelle urban myth no names, no images, no dates, no government entities.

I can tell you that Abbotsford Nissan was importing Skylines into the US. I knew the parts manager there. He had informed me that there were some loopholes which allowed it. I don't know the specific details of the case because he wouldn't say anything other they got into some real trouble with the Americans government and lost a lot of money: the loop holes closed around their necks. Not only did they stop their trade in Skylines but the dealership owner was so ticked off that he ordered them to stop selling all JDM parts - that was something they were actually making legit money on.

Over the years, there have been a few threads on this on IVOAC.CA - usually because someone in the US is scanning CL ads and tries to get the seller to bring the vehicle across the border for the transaction. I am not aware of anyone pursuing this now. Nor am I aware of anyone posting up the procedures on how to easily import a less than 25 year old vehicle into the US. Homeland Security is pretty clear on the rules: Importing a Motor Vehicle - CBP.gov. If you know how it is legally and easily done, then post up the procedure for all Cruiser Heads to see.

transplants

just curious of thoughts on my putting a 1hdt in my 40
my 40 is a lhd north american spec and I shipped it when I moved to the uk for my work with a 2f installed

I am putting a 1hdt and h55 in it and I havent read anything that would stop me doing that, seems I could bring and old diesel rover into the us if I wanted as long as it was over 25 years old right?

so i dont forsee a prob putting this more modern diesel into my 40

Anyone see different than that?

I would think that it would be okay. However, I recommend you check with the Feds and State officials first before doing it. Get it via email, so you have something to fall back on in case someone gives you a hard time. If someone tells you over the phone, it is just word of mouth with very little chance of proving what they said.

Uhh guys, I´d say just look south. Not for nothing but these things are all over Central and South America. There were at least 6 of them in my 4x4 club in El Salvador. They never go on sale in the classifieds there. All used sales are word of mouth. No rust and all clean. Just can´t import them yet.

80's

Uhh guys, I´d say just look south. Not for nothing but these things are all over Central and South America. There were at least 6 of them in my 4x4 club in El Salvador. They never go on sale in the classifieds there. All used sales are word of mouth. No rust and all clean. Just can´t import them yet.

yes, quite a few 80s here in the UK too, nice trucks! As far as engine swaps I was reading that half cuts are allowed because they are classified as parts just cant ship the whole vehicle

talking about the rusted hulks though not suggesting cutting up some nice clean 80's :eek:

I think I would like an 80 as a daily driver or if I could only have one 4wd, luxury and comfort but can be awesome off road too! only thing is I do like a manual and not the auto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom