Levinson speaker sizes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Proud new owner of an 01 LX470 w/ 95k and am looking at completely replacing the stereo with a Nav head unit and all speakers. Did some searching and cant seem to find the speaker sizes for a 9 speaker Levinson system so I can start looking for components that may fit. It sounds like ass plus I would like the Nav.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to just start taking them out, I dont think very many (if any) on mud have replaced the levinson speakers........I want to since at least 3 dont work anymore, but i have no $$$:crybaby:

I was hoping you wouldnt say that. I wanted to take my door panels off once. Mine sound like Charlie Browns teacher right now.

There are plenty of speaker replacement threads on here. Just search for speaker install.

2001 LX-470 With Factory Levinson, non-navi.

Front: 6.5" Mid Woofer, 2.5" Mid 1" Tweeter

Rear Door: 4" Mid, factory seperate tweeter in plate holding Mid.

Sub: Supposed to be 6.5" (I havn't addressed replacing mine yet, currently running with just the F&R)

Sub: Supposed to be 6.5" (I havn't addressed replacing mine yet, currently running with just the F&R)
Consider the sub size confirmed...also a few threads here on replacing it. It's a single voice coil, only two wires involved...takes longer to remove the trim necessary to remove the side panel than to replace the speaker.

=steve

Consider the sub size confirmed...also a few threads here on replacing it. It's a single voice coil, only two wires involved...takes longer to remove the trim necessary to remove the side panel than to replace the speaker.

=steve

Would you post what you installed? I'm doing the exact same thing in the next couple weeks to my 01 LX470 and would love to see what you ended up with and any comments or thoughts you have on the matter.

Any issues with the foam rings go bad on the subwoofers? I had the same on my '02 LS430 ML subwoofer. $2 tube of silicone caulking fixed that. Look at the LS forums for more info.

I've confirmed it's the foam around the sub that is bad, I can replace the sub with a Kicker for $100 or replace the foam, I'm curious to if the Kicker is a better sub than the Levinson. I think the Kicker was a 2 ohm which as I understood was the right replacement for the ML sub.

Keep in mind, that speaker size (4", 6.5" etc.) is easy to determine. But, the depth of the speaker is also very important on these trucks due to the tight room in the door panels and sub box......

Would you post what you installed? I'm doing the exact same thing in the next couple weeks to my 01 LX470 and would love to see what you ended up with and any comments or thoughts you have on the matter.
I did not replace the sub...it went completely dead. Found one of the braided conductors from the terminal strip to the voice coil had frayed and broken. Grabbed the soldering iron and some tiny braid and fixed it...would love to replace it but I'm budgeting a front bumper at this point.;)

Steve

eta...I had the front door panel apart a few weeks ago to fix a loose window bracket...with speakers in the future in mind I did do a few measurements on the front drivers door...

Midrange speaker is 6.5" and measures 6.6 ohms resistance. Watch the depth of the replacement speaker as if it's too long you could hit the window glass w/ window rolled down.

Smaller midrange mounted mid-door is 3" and 6.9 ohms resistance

Tweeter is 1", 5 ohms and has a small electrolytic cap in series with the leads.

As a very general rule of thumb, dc resistance is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the speaker's impedance...you could say, generally, you're using speakers w/ 8 ohm impedance.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve and others I ended up buying a glue gun and fixing the rear sub myself. A $20 glue gun and a pack of glue for $7 sure beats the price of a new oem sub or aftermarket unit.

image-4291622001.jpg

I know my glue skills suck. The foam had detached around all but an inch of the sub and the plastic ring just outside the foam had detached about half of the circumference of the sub. I pulled the outer ring apart, used the wire wheel on the dremmel to clean the foam and most of the glue off then reglued that ring back to the sub and started gluing down the foam ring which you can see the end result above. Before I was done I dropped a bead of glue around the out side of the outer ring and let it dry overnight.
image-4291622001.jpg

Last edited:
oon8, your glue skills are similar to mine:D...does it work??

happy new year

steve

hankinid, It works good as new!

I'd eventually like to replace the whole system, for now I just wanted to get the little issues fixed as cheaply as possible to make me feel better about a $14700 purchase price on the rig.

=steve
Can someone tell me what wires from the amp go to each speaker in the front doors or how they are routed? I guess what I am asking since there are 3 speakers in a one of the front doors, does that mean there are 3 sets of wires (total of 6 wires) running from the amp to a front door? I had the amp out last night and I did not see that many wires to be able to go to all the speakers in the vehicle? I am thinking about replacing the entire system and include a new double din head unit with a new amp and sub and am wondering what king of speakers would sound good in all four of the doors without performing new wiring.

Thanks,
-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom