Let’s talk CB tuning. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last time out @BruceFZJ80 was saying he could hear me, but I could not hear him. I saw the tip of his antenna was a bit out of whack which reminded me that mine is not properly tuned either. I have attempted to tune mine, but couldn’t get it into the desired area. I believed the problem was related to a super cheap cable, but never got around to trying again.

I do have a tuner (cheapy off of amazon), but I’m unsure of how accurate it is. I was also having issues finding a desired location (free of trees, bulidings, antennas). I’ve watched several you tube videos on it (that makes me an expert, right?) but I have not successfully tuned one.

I know quite a few of you guys are in the same boat of not having a properly tuned antenna. My question is, does anyone in here consider themselves good at it or would a group of us like together some weekend and see if we can fumble through it together?

I found that getting into an open area greatly improved my tuning. I initially tried to do it in my driveway and the results sucked. Also check your grounding point if using the Bandi Mount. Have to take the paint off to ensure the ground is good.

Quality coax, good grounds, and good connections in general are what makes for good TX.
Use an SWR meter specifically for CB freqs (27 MHz) and the correct length cable.
You will get slightly different results for each frequency, so tune based on the most common one you use.

Or, throw the CB in the trash and get a $29 (delivered) Baofeng UVR5, get yourself a ham licence for $20 (good for 10 years), and that $29 radio will make the most expensive CB setup sound like 2 soup cans with string.
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523545975&sr=8-2&keywords=uv5r

CB is dead technology. It has not had any technical advancement since the late 1970s. It is the 8 track cassette of communication.
Ham radio is under constant development, the prices have come down significantly, and the technician test is pretty easy.
I didn't even bother to install a CB in my LX450. I bought a cheap Midland handheld CB to pass inspection at events that require CB, but it never gets used.

Last edited:
@jonheld the idea of the ham radio keeps popping up in my head. How involved is the test? Do I need to commit to weeks of studying or is it read a manual and as long as you aren’t a total rock eater you should pass?

Also do you need to have the license to purchase the radio or just to broadcast? I assume it will operate same as a cb in the sense that everyone can be on the same channel and hear each other?

@jonheld the idea of the ham radio keeps popping up in my head. How involved is the test? Do I need to commit to weeks of studying or is it read a manual and as long as you aren’t a total rock eater you should pass?

Also do you need to have the license to purchase the radio or just to broadcast? I assume it will operate same as a cb in the sense that everyone can be on the same channel and hear each other?
You don't need a licence to purchase a radio, but you need a license to transmit in a non-emergency situation. In an emergency, anything goes.

I prefer HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests
It enables you to study at your own pace and uses the actual question pool from the exam. It reinforces areas that you are weak in, so with a bit of memorization, it should be pretty easy.

For basic trail use, a ham will work exactly like a CB radio. You pick a frequency, like you pick a channel on a CB. The difference is the clarity of the sound and transmit distance. A CB sounds like bad AM radio because it's bad AM radio with 5 watts of TX power.
2 meter ham is FM with 50-60 watts of TX power. With a CB, you're lucky if the trail leader can reach the tail gunner within your group while your at Rausch. With a ham radio you can talk to just about everyone on that frequency from anywhere in the park. 4-5 mile TX distance is a short hop for a decent ham setup. I've done 10+ miles from radio to radio on the highway without issue. In places like Moab where there are no trees, I've done 20+ miles radio to radio (simplex) and the guy sounded like he was sitting right next to me.

A ham radio also allows the use of local repeaters. For example, at CMCC we use the local Pine Grove repeater. We were able to chat with folks standing in the staging area at Rausch while packing up the trucks at Twin Grove. All with those little $29 Chinacom radios.

I have a nice Kenwood V71A radio in the Lexus, but there are very good single band (2 meter) mobile radios for a LOT less money out there. I still think that the Baofeng radio is a great entry level unit. IMO there's need to spend more than that to get your feet wet.

Last edited:
@dci blair I think we had a thread somewhere about the club getting Ham Radio Licenses I will try to find it and bump it, A few guys at work have theirs set up and always tease me that I don't have mine. If the club plans on doing bigger trips or stuff outside of the parks, this will come in handy.

Jon Thank You for the info and link!

If you study the link Jon posted for a couple of days before the test you will probably pass. All of the peaple that showed up for our club test passed. And one of the participants (will remain nameless) slept throw part of the instruction. I don't know when Edd will have another instruction and test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom