Let's talk about axes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My problem with these fiskars space age axes is that when the handle breaks (and it will) you have trash.

Traditional tools, broken handle goes in fire, new handle goes on the old head, and away you go. Over and over again, practically forever.

My problem with these fiskars space age axes is that when the handle breaks (and it will) you have trash.

that's your problem, not my problem. I love the fiskars new age one and have used it most of last year even over my log splitter on oak.

For your pine, anything will do...

IsoCore-8-lb-Maul-36.jpg

Hey Guys,

My 2 cents...65 years old and heated with wood my whole adult life. If you're splitting wood for home heat then get something that will split wood fast. Through the years I've gone through several different wood furnaces that required different size wood. The best tool I've used is the Monster Maul, 16 pounds and will split most of the toughest rounds. The force from splitting will bend even steel handles, fiberglass will not hold up in the long run. If you only need a trail ax then just buy an old American head and rehandle it because you will break it at some point.

I use an outside furnace now and if I can lift the piece it will burn, so I don't split like I used to. I hand split wood for the house fireplace, but only a couple cords a years. When I retired I bought a 34 ton hydro splitter for the really big rounds.

IMG_3727.JPG

You can see the bend in both of them and the wear of the head, many years of use.

IMG_3728.JPG

I go through a little bit of wood...

IMG_3366.JPG

Here's my "go to" ax for small stuff, the handle has loosened up, so it should be replaced soon. Something like this would be great for a camping ax.

IMG_3730.JPG

that's your problem, not my problem. I love the fiskars new age one and have used it most of last year even over my log splitter on oak.

For your pine, anything will do...

IsoCore-8-lb-Maul-36.jpg

Any idea what that weighs? The only one I see that looks like it on Amazon weighs 8 lbs.

I have a 10 and 12 lb. conventional splitting mauls (fiberglass handles FYI) and the 10 feels like a toy and doesn't get used. I may get a maul like @scrapdaddy uses. I have a hydraulic splitter but like to split by hand when I gave time.

Any idea what that weighs? The only one I see that looks like it on Amazon weighs 8 lbs.

I have a 10 and 12 lb. conventional splitting mauls (fiberglass handles FYI) and the 10 feels like a toy and doesn't get used. I may get a maul like @scrapdaddy uses. I have a hydraulic splitter but like to split by hand when I gave time.
I have that one. Fiskars Iso Core. It's 8 lbs and splits quite well.

I'm looking for ideas. How are most of you storing your axes/mauls for transportation? I don't have drawers or any external racks and I don't think I'd want to keep my maul outside anyways. I'll just be transporting it on camp trips but I want it secured. I'd hate to have that thing flying around in a roll over or something. I'm driving a '07 100 series.

Thanks,
Will

i was given a gransfors axe and when i found out how much they cost i thought what could make it worth that money?!! well i swung it once and realized what made it worth the money. there’s just something in the feel of the handle and balance. great quality metal. i now own two!! love it and makes me smile when i get to use them
yup, i bought the carpenters axe after a buddy gifted me with one of the small forest axes. they are an extension of your arm

Traditional tools, broken handle goes in fire, new handle goes on the old head, and away you go. Over and over again, practically forever.

i have three space age axes, 15, 7 and 4 yrs old,,,, still waiting. for the price if/when it breaks i figure got my monies worth.

now, i do really like my gransfors, but the price of the space agers got me an axe i didnt really care much about hitting the odd nail or stone,,, but i gotta tell ya, they are fine tools, just not the heirloom of the gransfors my son is looking forward to getting.

Last edited:
i have three space age axes, 15, 7 and 4 yrs old,,,, still waiting. but i tell ya, for the price if/when it breaks i figure got my monies worth.

now, i do really like my gransfors, but the price of the space agers got me an axe i didnt really care much about hitting the odd nail or stone,,, but i gotta tell ya, they are fine tools, just not a heirloom my son is looking forward to getting.

Wooo Nice to hear from one of the 4 original CSC members.

html5

You all need to find one of these... Or maybe not?
IMG_3071.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom