Let’s see those 200s camping….. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where ya headed?
The wife and I and our 6 and 7 yr old boys for 23 days to do Georgia -> Badlands SD (probably just 2 nights) -> Wyoming back country discovery route and any other dirt road we find with something rumored to be worth seeing in that state until we run out of time -> Georgia. Our main destination is Wyoming but skipping the Yellowstone and Jackson crowds to focus on getting remote and staying on dirt as much as possible.

We’re open to suggestions and leave no trace… dm’s are open lol.

The wife and I and our 6 and 7 yr old boys for 23 days to do Georgia -> Badlands SD (probably just 2 nights) -> Wyoming back country discovery route and any other dirt road we find with something rumored to be worth seeing in that state until we run out of time -> Georgia. Our main destination is Wyoming but skipping the Yellowstone and Jackson crowds to focus on getting remote and staying on dirt as much as possible.

That’s awesome. We did much of the same Last year, didn’t get on enough dirt though and didn’t slow down enough to enjoy it all.

This year we are going to Montana and slowing way down. Hoping to do exactly what you described, as much dirt as I can find without being extreme trails.

and didn’t slow down enough to enjoy it all.
How much time did you have? This is always on the back of my mind, it’s easy to get caught up in making the next POI and missing out on the true purpose of the trip… relaxation and resetting.

From what I’ve been able to glean there doesn’t appear to be a lot of technical wheeling in WY when compared to our destination last year, Ouray, CO and the surrounding area. Not sure about Montana, but we’ll be finding out in the years to come for sure.

How much time did you have? This is always on the back of my mind, it’s easy to get caught up in making the next POI and missing out on the true purpose of the trip… relaxation and resetting.

From what I’ve been able to glean there doesn’t appear to be a lot of technical wheeling in WY when compared to our destination last year, Ouray, CO and the surrounding area. Not sure about Montana, but we’ll be finding out in the years to come for sure.

We did southern Missouri to badlands, to Rushmore, to devils tower, to lake in Wyoming, to grand Teton, to Yellowstone (overnight camp in Yellowstone), west Yellowstone hotel to find next direction, headed to Idaho, camped above salt lake, dinosaur attraction, Rocky Mountain National park, home. In 9 days with 3 kids. 6months, 5 years, 7 years. Ended up being 4400 miles round trip.

We did southern Missouri to badlands, to Rushmore, to devils tower, to lake in Wyoming, to grand Teton, to Yellowstone (overnight camp in Yellowstone), west Yellowstone hotel to find next direction, headed to Idaho, camped above salt lake, dinosaur attraction, Rocky Mountain National park, home. In 9 days with 3 kids. 6months, 5 years, 7 years. Ended up being 4400 miles round trip.
I believe I remember reading your thread on this.

PINS

3F1B1EDB-ED4A-40C7-8501-A2804CAC4167.jpeg

IMG_1876.jpeg

We did this a few years ago and really enjoyed the NF just west of Rapid City. Plenty of good trails, wildlife galore, etc. only suggestion is to be prepared for no cell service!

Camping at a KOA this weekend, but whatevs….still will have the coolest ride there. ;)

@Tex68w How are you liking the Oztent?

I love it! It's a little long and heavy when packed up, but it's one hell of tent when setup and it doesn't take long to do that either. I had a few different people come by and talk to me about it that weekend. Slept me and my buddy on opposite sides very comfortably for a weekend. If you buy one lightly used they are a steal and very little compares IMHO.

Northern Idaho. Montana is just over the next hill. The bear, moose, deer and the other regulars didn’t mind my company for a couple of days. The evening lightning storms kept me inside for an hour or so until the blue sky reappeared and the thunder moved on to the next peak.

33A4AF69-E965-4C69-A58E-2448DD63040A.jpeg
D20644AB-1CAB-4B33-9FA7-4F59B4726516.jpeg

Northern Idaho. Montana is just over the next hill. The bear, moose, deer and the other regulars didn’t mind my company for a couple of days. The evening lightning storms kept me inside for an hour or so until the blue sky reappeared and the thunder moved on to the next peak.

View attachment 3350319View attachment 3350320

Tell us more about your tarp setup!

It’s a Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp. In the Idaho picture, it is set up with both poles so the sides are higher and I can see what is wandering about. I would recommend setting up with one pole in the “A” frame style if expecting rain. It doesn’t hold buckets of water with the two pole set up unless you have the hatch open, tested…Well designed flat tarp with lots of options.

F2980A9C-A834-42CE-9FA5-30CF75119092.jpeg
38C0B9C8-C005-4CB7-B2EE-0193C64E9E6C.jpeg

A drive through Wind Cave National Park is very cool to see all the bison roaming freely. There is a scenic loop called Highland Ridge Rd/NPS 5 that is a nice relaxing loop with great wildlife viewing. If you can somehow swing it between Badlands/WY I'd recommend it. If you have a day to burn you can try to book one of the campsites and do the actual cave tour too.

zDD88iHh.jpg

5izUkysh.jpg

6KVOsOhh.jpg

WD57JMPh.jpg

k7uHDcYh.jpg

Very first camping trip with the LX 570. I bought it in January and spent a good four months doing a lot of maintenance and things to get it ready for this.

Note that we installed the awning room backwards. It was my first time using it and we were being eaten alive by gnats as soon as we parked so I was in a rush to get it up. It was really nice to have. I have had it for over two years but have not used it because we never really needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom