Lets cook up some backcountry fun. .. Alaska Cruiser Trek 2015 is starting brew. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not for the unprepared!

uploadfromtaptalk1421253980598.jpg

Minimum vehicle requirements on past Trek"s has been 35" mud terrain tires, rear locker, winch, the ability to carry extra fuel (20+ GA). More recently, an air intake snorkel has been added to the list.
My 60 meets those requirements. That said, when I look at the pictures of the trucks that run this, all of the 60's are spring-over...I am spring-under. Is that a small issue, or a big issue?

Just saw this thread and subscribing to it.

With a year of advance notice, I'm in again for 2016 or 2017. I will be in Alaska twice in 2015, and too late to change plans.

If the rental thing becomes a reality, I'll do that.

Congrats on continuing the tradition.

Awesome to see this coming back. Always wanted to do this. Depending on the exact dates and what the work schedule is I could possibly be in. Probably would have to be on the last trip or so, later the better for me.

My 60 meets those requirements. That said, when I look at the pictures of the trucks that run this, all of the 60's are spring-over...I am spring-under. Is that a small issue, or a big issue?

The omptimal setup for this type of event is heavy load carrying capacity and decent wheel travel to absorb big bumps at higher trail speeds without bottoming out. This could be acheived with either spring over or spring under.

For you guys that have done this in the past with a FZJ80 with the 1FZ-FE, what kind of fuel economy are you getting on the trail with 35-37's on this trip loaded down? Thanks.

For you guys that have done this in the past with a FZJ80 with the 1FZ-FE, what kind of fuel economy are you getting on the trail with 35-37's on this trip loaded down? Thanks.

Bad. Really bad. Ask Darrell but I think we had 45 EXTRA gallons on board when we started. I would count on low single digits.

The automatics really suffer on long slow trail runs like this. Due to the speeds we run they spend most of the time with the torque converter slipping.

But part of the reason for the large fuel loads is of course the distance run with no resupply. We have seen up to and over 400 miles from trailhead to trailhead.

I'd expect about 7 mpg or so from an '80 on typical nominal trails when we are out.

wondering if the dry winter in the west of the lower 48 will make the water crossings any different this year?

found this site while looking for info:

do you have any maps of the areas?
i'm planning on web wheeling this trip. but still very interested.

The automatics really suffer on long slow trail runs like this. Due to the speeds we run they spend most of the time with the torque converter slipping.
I was looking at torque converter lock up options but they don't include 1st gear without a valve body modification. What do you think of torque converter mods for lock up especially in first gear? Any recommendations on the best way to do this? Thanks!

The stars would have to align for me to be able to make this trip, but...

If someone wants to go, how much notice would you like?

Also, sounds like 35" MT's are the minimum required tire size. I've got Nitto Trail 33"'s currently, but could get a set of 35's for the trip I suppose. Sounds like people mostly get stuck in big mud--do Maxtrax work? I realize the point of 35's is to not get stuck in the first place :) But I'd be driving from CO. And it would be nice to keep my existing tires on (but I would not want to be the weak link in he convoy either).

I have Slee building my rig in June (installing the parts I should say) and I will meet all the other requirements for my 200 series.

Any feedback is appreciated!

wondering if the dry winter in the west of the lower 48 will make the water crossings any different this year?

found this site while looking for info:.

Oh yeah Tok, Alaska center of the universe. :D Snow pack is also less than normal this spring all over Alaska. Not sure if this will effect summer water crossings. The long term forecast is for warmer and wetter conditions this summer, so it may all add up to a "wash".

Any updates on this? I maybe able to do this if it is happening again in 2017. We have an gasser 80, but could bring the diesel to help us on fuel consumption concerns...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom