Leftovers and Soup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to have to try that bueno stuff. Looks really good.

We had grilled London Broil for dinner last night.
I cut the leftovers up added some Feta cheese, the left over salad greens from dinner plus a big handfull of baby spinach. Made a dressing from Walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, tarragon, thyme and sage. It made a great lunch.

Leftover chicken stock, rice and spicy stewed chicken gizzards. That's right, gizzards. Bring it on.

IMG_1374.jpg

Not quite leftovers but could have been ;)...this is what got made yesterday at the Streight res.

Chicken-Root Veggie Pot Pie.

Very good camp potential with a collapsible Coleman oven...was going to try it on our DV trip a couple weeks ago but need to play with a smaller group than 9 :D

Dan's Chicken Pot Pie .jpg

The wife has been sick, and I've been trying not to be, so there's been a lot of chicken soup getting made around here lately. She's sick of it so I tried a twist on it and added some vitamin C along the way. She loves plain buttered noodles, so this was great for her.

All the usual suspects as the soup except I added a few shots of OJ to my broth and reduced it to a good thick consistency with a little butter. Mixed in the egg noodles, diced chicken and carrots with some thyme and frozen peas. Added a little breadcrumbs and cheese over it and she was happy. The OJ added more citrus kick than I would have thought but it turned out well. I guess I really just made a kind of casserole but I didn't let it get that thick.

--john

The wife has been sick, and I've been trying not to be, so there's been a lot of chicken soup getting made around here lately. She's sick of it so I tried a twist on it and added some vitamin C along the way. She loves plain buttered noodles, so this was great for her.

All the usual suspects as the soup except I added a few shots of OJ to my broth and reduced it to a good thick consistency with a little butter. Mixed in the egg noodles, diced chicken and carrots with some thyme and frozen peas. Added a little breadcrumbs and cheese over it and she was happy. The OJ added more citrus kick than I would have thought but it turned out well. I guess I really just made a kind of casserole but I didn't let it get that thick.

--john

.....Don't tease John, you know we love pictures,..:beer:

.....Don't tease John, you know we love pictures,..:beer:
She didn't want any pics taken looking like the walking dead. Oh, you mean the food...light colored food in a white bowl on a white counter looks like crap. Think this justifies new counters? ;)

All you need is some hot sauce in her meals.
I actually tried that! She got pissed because she wasn't congested and hadn't lost her sense of taste. Well, she should have told me. She's not into heat :doh:.

--john

Tis the season for soups/stews, and the Flu.
The last coupla weeks have seen chicken tortilla and plain chicken soup, turkey soup, navy beans and ham hocks.
Get well Mrs JVee.
John have you tried EmergenCe, the powdered drink mix, Works for me.
-Jim

FWIW John: Fresh ginger is good for me for congestion and/or plugged sinus relief. Fresh garlic does the opposite: Good for arresting runny nose/sinuses.

Ditto photos of soup: Typically challenging to take them so they look like anything attractive/inviting/appetizing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

Took the leftover turkey meat and bones and made a very classic but relatively quick soup from basically all leftovers in the fridge. Sauteed onion and celery; added a couple turkey bones; chicken stock; bay leaf and a little ground celery seeds; added the cubed turkey and diced rutabaga; added uncooked pasta; and about 10-minutes out added leftover basil marinara and chopped parsley for my Mom's version of Pasta e Fagioli. To be honest we liked it even better than using smoked hocks/shank...surprised us really!

For photos of my Pasta e Fagioli...see my 2nd paragraph above :D

Plain Ol' turkey soup....Added healthy dose of IRIE hot sauce,....

turkey soup 1.jpg

turkey soup 2.jpg

Last edited:
I boiled the turkey bones. Made a stock and next day made a white bean soup with some turkey meat. Pretty good actually.

that soup looks healthy

I never argue with home made soup. ojaij40 that soup does look good and wonder, is it true that cooking veggies cooks the nutrients out of it? I should hunt one of these days and put something other then store bought chicken in the soup.

John have you tried EmergenCe, the powdered drink mix, Works for me.
-Jim

So I arrive in Asheville Wed night with my crew of 6 for a 3 day event (20+ hrs a day each). Guess who gets sick by lunch on Day 1? Sore throat, achey, headache, light headed... I give a runner a wad of cash and hand him a list of crap to buy at the drugstore: Lozenges, Dayquil, Nyquil, Advil, Aspirin, Emergen-C, etc. I start hitting the Cepacol lozenges and the Emergen-C pretty hard. Now that Day 2 is over I'm feeling fairly decent. I hope I caught it early enough to stop it with the mega doses of vitamin C and positive thinking.

Two of my guys started feeling ill this morning and are making a big dent in my drugstore supply (I anticipated this!). One of the others had been sick before we left and didn't tell anybody. She will be punished.

The Strawberry Kiwi Emergen-C is pretty palatable. Thanks for recommendation.

--john

I never argue with home made soup. ojaij40 that soup does look good and wonder, is it true that cooking veggies cooks the nutrients out of it? I should hunt one of these days and put something other then store bought chicken in the soup.

WEll, I figure if the vegetables had nutrients when they went into the pot, they must still be in there, maybe in the broth? I'm pretty sure they didn't evaporate. I don't know what John didn't like about my soup:confused:
When I travel for work, I go into the crockpot mode :)

Hotel Crock Pot Dinner.jpg

So I arrive in Asheville Wed night with my crew of 6 for a 3 day event (20+ hrs a day each). Guess who gets sick by lunch on Day 1? Sore throat, achey, headache, light headed... I give a runner a wad of cash and hand him a list of crap to buy at the drugstore: Lozenges, Dayquil, Nyquil, Advil, Aspirin, Emergen-C, etc. I start hitting the Cepacol lozenges and the Emergen-C pretty hard. Now that Day 2 is over I'm feeling fairly decent. I hope I caught it early enough to stop it with the mega doses of vitamin C and positive thinking.

Two of my guys started feeling ill this morning and are making a big dent in my drugstore supply (I anticipated this!). One of the others had been sick before we left and didn't tell anybody. She will be punished.

The Strawberry Kiwi Emergen-C is pretty palatable. Thanks for recommendation.

--john

Wow, sounds like you're taking the whole drugstore, hope you're drinking tons of water, good luck

JVee, the EmrgeenC plus (SP) Ecenasiaa, which is a flower extract as in tea has been recommended by my Dr in the past. Also take Goldenseal, some kind'a root extract, it will probably show up on a piss test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom