LED turn signal hyper flash fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed some front LED turn/ park indicators. Naturally it flashed faster than it should. I did some research and found that if you remove ( or clip one leg) a resistor in the factory relay, it'll flash at normal speed.

I did this on my 86 4Runner and it worked.
Here are the pics:

IMG_20200419_141725038.jpg
IMG_20200419_141725038.jpg
IMG_20200419_144907_915.jpg

Nice. I remember reading this tech article in my 4wdtoyota magazine but have since forgotten which resistor to cut. I just decided to ignore my hyper flash but I think now I’ll correct it. Appreciate the write up.

How do you know which one to clip? or does it not matter?
It's the one I zoomed in on. It has to be that one. Look at the pics u can figure it out. It's the only one right of the transistor.

Bottom line is … a more knowledgeable fella figured this out and shared it. Wish I knew about this trick before I bought a LED flasher for my truck and FJ40.

It has something to do with current running a different route through the flasher so you know you have a light out.
Cutting the resistor eliminates the "warning" circuit in the flasher. Or something to that effect. :flipoff2:

I think this is a holdover from when flashers were bi-metalic strips that heated up when current passed thru. They heated up and bent opening the circuit. Then they cooled, closed up and made the circuit again. This also made the old school blinker sound under the dash. When a bulb burned out the current drops, the strip doesn't heat up as much and closes faster. Hyperflash. And it let you know a bulb burned out.

Generally speaking I just go to a led flasher so I can control the blinky speed to what I want.

Generally speaking I just buy the HD electronic flasher instead of the std bi-metal replacement flasher. Hyper-flash occurs because of how fast the bi-metal heats up due to the low "bulb" resistance. Electronic flasher doesn't care what the load is, it flashes the same. Sometime these are labeled as being for towing trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom