led lighting help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to light this section of my rear bumper with red leds. I'm think some kind of plexiglass similar to the stuff in speaker boxes. Just not sure where to get the supplies and do it. I was thinking having it come on with the running lights or just a toggle switch. Any help to point me in the right direction would be great.

20130408_125845_zps2a39ff64.jpg

It's going to be hard trying to light up that area only. You are going to have to fabricate a housing, mount a bulb inside, and tap into a power source.

Another option is to get a piece of plexiglass, drill a hole in both ends and stick a red LED in the holes. That will light up the plexiglass, give you a even distribution of light, and pretty cheap. Paint the back of the plexiglass black so the red does not leak out the back and illuminate the ground. It will also disappear when they are not on.

Hope that helps.

^ Interesting. How thick does the plexi need to be to hold the bulbs?

^ Interesting. How thick does the plexi need to be to hold the bulbs?

The plexi needs to be as thick as the bulb, since you are inserting it into the plexi glass and securing it. You can pick up the pigtail sockets pretty cheap off eBay, Amazon, or any local auto parts store if they carry them. You will need to drill a hole in each end of the plexi and secure the LED's into that.

Here is what I am talking about, it's a popular way to make glass shelves light up.

floating_16_shelves_decorating_ideas1.jpg

Probably late to the game... but I'm an architect and do this all the time. Let me know if you still need help. It is really easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom