LED Headlight relay failing - anyone recognize this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CHILLCAT

SILVER Star
Threads
Recently acquired an HZJ73 - yesterday the headlights stayed on when I tried to turn them off. Long story short: tapping the relay in the engine bay solves the problem.. for now.

It looks like there was some LED conversion done at some point. Koito H4 lamps but with LED's inside. There is a relay in the engine bay right by the right headlight, which appears to be the problem. I sprayed some contact/electronic cleaner in there but no relief. 9/10 times they stay on, but tapping the box instantly shuts them off.

I don't know any other solutions other than replacing the relay. Hoping someone recognizes it or has a better suggestion? There is no writing anywhere on this thing. I'm assuming its not stock with the LED conversion?

Thanks for any help!

IMG_20231102_173646 (1).jpg

Sounds like the relay is sticking! It's aftermarket and looks like there was supposed to be a label on that indented plastic portion of the relay case. If you can't find it on google by counting the number of pins it has, it might be easier to outfit another LED conversion kit. Good luck!

Hello,

LED lights use a different voltage setup, because they draw less current to operate. If not done properly, it may cause the relay to fail.

You should also check your combination switch for continuity. In old age, it tends to lose electrical continuity and play tricks with the low/high beam switch.

Juan

Yeah, in order to get aftermarket LED lights to work with a negative switched system, you need to add in a relay. I wouldn't even bother with the old one, just order a new one online. Just verify that the relay you choose will work with your voltages (assuming you have a 24v system)

For an example: Amazon product ASIN B06XHSFLTZ

Did you just have one relay for both headlights? Every harness I've seen has one for each light, as shown in the photo above.

That image isn't showing up for me, but yeah every system I googled had a relay for each. This seems to have the Red relay box in my photo, but then each headlight also has a metallic looking "digital ballast" which is possibly also working as a relay? I am out of my depth when it comes to this..

I really don't care for the look of LED lights on these old rigs. I'm considering just yanking the whole system and trying to go back to Halogen, but I'm not sure what was removed to update to the LEDs. I'm going to do some fiddling today and see what I can figure out.

That image isn't showing up for me, but yeah every system I googled had a relay for each. This seems to have the Red relay box in my photo, but then each headlight also has a metallic looking "digital ballast" which is possibly also working as a relay? I am out of my depth when it comes to this..

I really don't care for the look of LED lights on these old rigs. I'm considering just yanking the whole system and trying to go back to Halogen, but I'm not sure what was removed to update to the LEDs. I'm going to do some fiddling today and see what I can figure out.
Hopefully the PO didn't do something boneheaded, but they shouldn't have needed to remove anything to switch to LED's

It sounds like it is possible that these aren't LED's at all but HID's if they have ballasts. If that is the case, I would be inclined to rip it all out as well. You should be left with just the 2 original 3-prong ceramic plugs that plug into the bulbs

Hopefully the PO didn't do something boneheaded, but they shouldn't have needed to remove anything to switch to LED's

It sounds like it is possible that these aren't LED's at all but HID's if they have ballasts. If that is the case, I would be inclined to rip it all out as well. You should be left with just the 2 original 3-prong ceramic plugs that plug into the bulbs

Bingo! They were HID's (PO said they were LED so I just assumed..). I pulled all the extra junk out of there, plugged in a couple halogens, and promptly fried them :hillbilly: Looks like the pair of 24v bulbs I had on hand were actually 12v :cool:

Once I track down the correct bulbs I should be good to go for a while! I might look in to those Holley retro headlights in the near future. They look pretty sharp.

Bingo! They were HID's (PO said they were LED so I just assumed..). I pulled all the extra junk out of there, plugged in a couple halogens, and promptly fried them :hillbilly: Looks like the pair of 24v bulbs I had on hand were actually 12v :cool:

Once I track down the correct bulbs I should be good to go for a while! I might look in to those Holley retro headlights in the near future. They look pretty sharp.
Awesome, glad it is all sorted. A couple of 24v halogens should last you forever (just remember to not touch the bulb glass).

I don't think I have ever needed to replace a 24v headlight bulb In any of my 24v cruisers.

Sorry for bringing this back, but I wanted to clarify something:

Bingo! They were HID's (PO said they were LED so I just assumed...

I'm assuming that you don't mean it was a projector system... because that doesn't usually bolt into a halogen housing.

Input voltage on those tops out at 18v, FYI.

Sorry for bringing this back, but I wanted to clarify something:

I'm assuming that you don't mean it was a projector system... because that doesn't usually bolt into a halogen housing.

Input voltage on those tops out at 18v, FYI.

Hmm well I'm no expert when it comes to lighting... I can snap some photos of the old lighting system when I get home. The digital ballasts stated HID on the labels. They were fitted into my Koito halogen glass with some adapters that appear to be made for the conversion. I believe it was done in Japan at some point prior to export.

Ahh ok it sounds like the Holley's aren't made for a 24v system then? The halogens I picked up actually produce a good amount of light so I'm pretty happy with what I've got now. 👍

I mean, if you had ballasts then I'm assuming it was a legit HID system...but I'm just wondering how the projector lens would've fitted into a stock housing. Seems effectively impossible, so yeah, some photos would be great.

Also: I'm looking at LED conversions right now, because they're finally getting good enough for me to step away from halogen...and these old sealed-beam-era units are just being outclassed. The Holley-branded Morimoto set looks good, but I'm not impressed with the performance numbers...and the voltage makes all kinds of problems for us. J.W. Speaker makes a set of their 8700's that are a good option; they're rated for 12/24v and go up to 30-ish volt input. Not cheap, but as best I can tell they're an easy upgrade. Several other companies do 24v-rated stuff as well, but for us the main issue is negative switching; I think there are a few splice-in bits that can take care of that. I'll have to look them up...but I seem to recall that TruckLites makes one. Give me a bit and I'll sort it out; I'm already working on this for myself, so I'll pass on what I find out.

Edit: it's Holley/Morimoto that makes the negative-ground harness. This is a plug-and-play system, but it's designed for their 12v RetroBright units...so we should be able to switch the relays to an identical 24v-rated set and have it work with whatever drop-in LED unit we like, because we're just using the wiring here.

Linky.

Last edited:
I mean, if you had ballasts then I'm assuming it was a legit HID system...but I'm just wondering how the projector lens would've fitted into a stock housing. Seems effectively impossible, so yeah, some photos would be great.

Also: I'm looking at LED conversions right now, because they're finally getting good enough for me to step away from halogen...and these old sealed-beam-era units are just being outclassed. The Holley-branded Morimoto set looks good, but I'm not impressed with the performance numbers...and the voltage makes all kinds of problems for us. J.W. Speaker makes a set of their 8700's that are a good option; they're rated for 12/24v and go up to 30-ish volt input. Not cheap, but as best I can tell they're an easy upgrade. Several other companies do 24v-rated stuff as well, but for us the main issue is negative switching; I think there are a few splice-in bits that can take care of that. I'll have to look them up...but I seem to recall that TruckLites makes one. Give me a bit and I'll sort it out; I'm already working on this for myself, so I'll pass on what I find out.

Edit: it's Holley/Morimoto that makes the negative-ground harness. This is a plug-and-play system, but it's designed for their 12v RetroBright units...so we should be able to switch the relays to an identical 24v-rated set and have it work with whatever drop-in LED unit we like, because we're just using the wiring here.

Linky.

I'll still snap a picture, but this HID system on Ebay looks nearly identical to the one I yanked from my 73. It doesn't show the little adapter/shields for the bulbs that go in the housing, but must be the same or very similar.

I'll still snap a picture, but this HID system on Ebay looks nearly identical to the one I yanked from my 73. It doesn't show the little adapter/shields for the bulbs that go in the housing, but must be the same or very similar.

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! 😱

But for seriously... that's...uhh... that's an interesting system. You've made very good life choices by consigning that to the bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom