LED bulbs vs the blinker flasher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to convert my blinkers to LED bulbs, but the flasher freaks out when I try that. It blinks as fast as a politician tells lies. I guess the LED bulb draws too few watts to make it blink like it's supposed to.

I remember when I lived in CA I once bought a flasher unit that didn't care how many bulbs it flashed. That was for pulling my boat trailer. I think I got it at Pep Boys, Kragans, etc. Anybody else BTDT, or know where I could order one on the web?

know where I could order one on the web?

Superbright LEDs sells relays for LEDs. Not sure if ours is in the application matrix or not though. If you can't find it there I can track down a part # for you.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's a standard flasher unit like almost any other car. I just tried to find it, sounds like it's up under the dash. Do you know if it's a standard flasher, or Toyota specific?

Could you not just increase your load by adding a resistor in series?

A 555 timer, a MOSFET, and a few various passive circuit parts and you could make a super cheap, super reliable flasher that will drive a hell of a lot of LEDs.

Adding a nice high power resistor should work too, but will waste power. Someone probably already makes the led blinker circuit in a package you can buy, but where is the fun in that.

... Adding a nice high power resistor should work too, but will waste power. Someone probably already makes the led blinker circuit in a package you can buy, but where is the fun in that.

I'm part Scot, so I hate waste. Ima cheap bastid, eh? And the fun in buying somebody's nice LED blinker circuit (made in China by poor lil childrens that otherwise would starve) is that it's cheaper and easier! :grinpimp:

Superbright LEDs sells relays for LEDs. Not sure if ours is in the application matrix or not though. If you can't find it there I can track down a part # for you.

Could you do that? I'm thinking of doing this mod

I'm interested in this also

Adding a nice high power resistor should work too, but will waste power.

Just how much power will you waste while your blinkers are on?

I mean all you have to do is fool the system to use the same amount of power your normal bulbs use to have the stock flasher work at its normal rate.

Or do you really need that extra amp in your system while the flashers are on?

A 10watt 12v turn signal bulb uses just less than 1 amp while its flashing, so a 50ohm 10watt resistor in parallel with each bulb should be just fine. (you could probably use less like 8ohm 5 watt, but testing would be needed)

If my math doesnt fail me... which it could.:D

Many vendor make these for Motorcycle applications.

Heres a Load Equalizer Resistor kit you would need to install one of these resisitor per light (2 in kit) LOOK FOR STAGE II KIT!http://customled.com/products/load_equalizer/load_equalizer.htm#Layoutregion2lyr Just clip on to the power line and the ground line of the LED (simple and fast) These are 25watt so they may get a bit hot while blinking.

Last edited:
Here for those inclined on the realy solution,

I found some LED flasher relays for various cars

They have one for JAPANESE and one for Newer Toyotas.

Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

They only cost 12.95

One of these should be the cheapest simplest solution if you can find a plug and play relay.

Last edited:
The LED resistance is too high. To use a resistor, you would have to put it in parallel with the LED. You would need something that has the same resistance and watt capacity as the bulb.

Getting a new flasher would be cheaper and easier.

SiRaDuDe said:
Here for those inclined on the realy solution,

I found some LED flasher relays for various cars

They have one for JAPANESE and one for Newer Toyotas.

Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

They only cost 12.95

One of these should be the cheapest simplest solution if you can find a plug and play relay.

You beat me to it. If in doubt, email superbright. I did that for a previous car and my first Gen insight and the one they recommended worked like a charm. I haven't made the switch to LEDs on the cruiser yet so I don't have an exact part number yet.

Ok, I tried superbright's flasher, and for starters, in my 91 the poles are reversed for non-load terminals. Installing it upside down with the flipper soldered to my Toyota relay gave me clicking but no blinking. Rigged right side up does nothing at all. Does someone want to try the CF13GL-02 for "German /European," it looks like it has higher amps and wouldn't need the "flipper clip" on the yota relay.

... If in doubt, email superbright. ...

I emailed them over a week ago, no answer yet! On the phone they told me that they cannot tell me which is the right flasher for my 80, or any of my other cars either. :mad: Are you sure superbright is the best source out there?

Ok, I tried superbright's flasher, and for starters, in my 91 the poles are reversed for non-load terminals. Installing it upside down with the flipper soldered to my Toyota relay gave me clicking but no blinking. Rigged right side up does nothing at all. Does someone want to try the CF13GL-02 for "German /European," it looks like it has higher amps and wouldn't need the "flipper clip" on the yota relay.

Sounds like we need some brave 80 owner in the US to try that one and see if it works. I would, but postage to France costs much more than the item (thank you terrorist bastids).

I'll order one this week and report in. That place used to have great customer service, helped me design a lighting system for my brother in law's kitchen. I guess the mighty have fallen, as it were. Anyone else know a better place before I blow some $$ on a stupid relay?

The only other company that I've used is RADIANTZ for my motorcycle (Yamaha Warrior)

They have an universal 3 wire Flasher Radiantz LED Lighting

but its not a plug-in type.

The universal flasher is a good move, as long as you don't need the OEM look. Do the motorcycle relays make a loud clicking noise like the OEM Toyota ones?

superbrightleds.com

Get flasher P/N CF13GL-02: LED Bulb Flasher Unit.

It works.

It's all you need to get your LED flashers working right.

I just got one and plugged it in.

Simple.

Aloha mudheads......

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/213060-definitive-led-thread-80s-4.html post 64 and 65

Tuner flashers no more!!

The OE flasher is located in the driver's side kick panel about as far forward as you can go. Turn on the hazards and let the clicking be your guide

From what I could gather, the stock flasher is a EP-34 type and according to Landtank's heavy duty flasher upgrade thread Toyota swapped the E and B legs from the norm and used a jumper to reverse the leads. Instead of rewiring the 80, I swapped the jumper over to the new flasher.

Napa carries an EP-34 flasher rated for LEDs, 2-6 lamps, 12.8v, and 162W max (might read 182W max...the ink is blurry). Part number EP-34 and $14.00. The other chains had the same Tridon flasher for around $9. I went for the $14 one to support the shop that dug through the books to find it. Thank you NAPA

Works perfectly! I also want to note that cutting the pin7 LD (Lamp Failure Detection) circuit from the IC chip of the OE relay DID NOT work...

The old flasher is Toyota part 81980-12070 166500-0300 27W Max 4 Bulbs

DSCF6514.jpg

DSCF6515.jpg

DSCF6517.jpg
DSCF6514.jpg
DSCF6515.jpg
DSCF6517.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom