Leaving for CA in the morning.. AC compressor just locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving home from dinner with my parents before a week road trip up the CA coast from Phoenix... Ac compressor makes a "WHIRRRRR" and then everything goes, AC, Windows, Cluster/Gauges all go dead.

I pull over and realize that the compressor is smoking and limp it home.. sweating my ass off i might add.

Can I cut the belt and do this road trip AC-less without issue?

The real kick in the junk is just dropped $900 on AC repairs at the Toyota Dealer. Woo!

Cut the belt, enjoy the heat. What all did they do AC work wise?

Fortunately NorCal is a little cooler... They did Evap/expansion valve, dryer, cleaned the lines as they were fairly gunked, recharged the system and also did the fan clutch. My guess is it was on its last leg and having everything work again just shortened its life to 2 days. Real bummer though as im sure ill be ponying up some more cash to get this thing working as it should.

... then everything goes, AC, Windows, Cluster/Gauges all go dead.

Most likely the clutch smoked, shorted, blowing the fuse. Best to unplug clutch and replace the fuse.

Most likely the clutch smoked, shorted, blowing the fuse. Best to unplug clutch and replace the fuse.

I concur as the clutch was literally smoking on the side of the 60 lol. Looks like it also took the blower relay with it as i dont have a blower at all AC or otherwise.

Gauge is the one blown, replaced and it was fine for a few minutes and it blew again. Assuming I need to completely disconnect the compressor wiring?

There is only the 1 wire to the top of the clutch.

Gauge is the one blown, replaced and it was fine for a few minutes and it blew again. Assuming I need to completely disconnect the compressor wiring?

Just the clutch, a single wire connector near the rear of the compressor.

any tips on disconnecting it? Cant get it to pop loose. Doesnt help that its hot as s*** back in there ha

Make sure that the tab of the connector is pushed all the way in to unlock it. Then wiggle the harness-side connector while gently pulling.

Just the clutch, a single wire connector near the rear of the compressor.
There is only the 1 wire to the top of the clutch.

Alright wire disconnected.. blower motor works again. Now bare with me for my next three questions:

1. Why did the check engine light come on/Is that normal
2. Why Does the AC seem to still kick on when the AC button is depressed.
3. Do i need to worry about removing the AC belt?

It’s on a separate belt for a reason. I made a drive from the Central Valley to Fallon Nevada a few summers ago after having to cut my belt. Rerouted myself through Yosemite to avoid the valley heat. Saved 75 miles from my trip and enjoyed the scenery. Got super hot coming down into Hawthorne and Walker Lake. I had a seized up idle/tension pulley and replaced it when I got to Fallon.

Long story long, Cut it, fix it when you get to where you’re going.

Alright wire disconnected.. blower motor works again. Now bare with me for my next three questions:

1. Why did the check engine light come on/Is that normal
2. Why Does the AC seem to still kick on when the AC button is depressed.
3. Do i need to worry about removing the AC belt?

1. There may be another fuse blown OR it the computer sees the disconnected wire.
2. When you say the AC kicks on; do you mean an indicator light illuminates OR the compressor clutch is enabling?
3. If there is a problem with the clutch or the compressor bearings; removing the belt is advisable.

The CEL shouldn't have anything to do with the A/C clutch, what code(s)?

With the clutch disconnected it wont work, but the rest of the system, faster idle, etc will.

If the clutch bearing is bad, it can lockup, best to remove the belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom