Leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We currently are having the wettest winter in 40 years and my 73 series has decided to spring a leak suddenly:mad:.
It didnt come on slowly. I checked when I bought it 3 years ago and have checked it reguarly since and its always been dry.

Im getting a steady drip from behind the blower in the left footwell.
When I had a day or 2 of fine weather I put the hose onto and got it to leak in a few minutes and it continued very slowly for another 2 days.

Cant see any where in the firewall where it would leak,all the grommets seem to be in place and undisturbed.

The body is virtually rust free so Im hoping its not a rust issue

Im not sure wether to start stripping it from the inside or come in from the top through the panel that the windscreen wiper arms come out of.

Are there any hidden drainholes that can block up?

Gonna do the investigation sat morning if the weather improves:D

there is a drain in the windsheild frame (i believe) that might be plugged or it could be the rubber and glass has a leak and the water is making it's way down the firewall.
i have had a couple trucks with simular leaks. try putting the hose on the windsheild alone and see if the leak is there or under the windsheild...
just a suggetion / guess...
cheers

crushers said:
there is a drain in the windsheild frame (i believe) that might be plugged or it could be the rubber and glass has a leak and the water is making it's way down the firewall.
i have had a couple trucks with simular leaks. try putting the hose on the windsheild alone and see if the leak is there or under the windsheild...
just a suggetion / guess...
cheers

I wet the lower left windscreen corner the other day and that made it leak so I know its that area.
Can you take the whole windscreen frame out without removing the FRP?.
I got a hunch its coming in under the frame.:crybaby:
I had a new windscreen and seal put in a couple of years ago.

remove hinge bolts an dhinges, remove 3 lock down bolts inside, remove FRP top bolts to windsheild frame, remove side cross post bolts, (now, this whole thing might become undoable if the top 2 bolts from the cross members to the windsheild frame are not accesable) remove wipers, pull out on bottom and drop from top. maybe put a cloth or leather gloves to prevent scatching.

I also have leak problems at that same location, but mine I think is from the rusty windshield frame. If yours has no rust, I'd look at the seal between the windshield and the body.

Dave

That seems to be where mine was leaking from rusty lower windscreen corners. I fixed the rust when I put in a new windscreen and rubber. I dunno about the fold down windscreens though.

I have had leaks that pool in the left and right floor mats, mine was do the the windshield gasket. I was finally able to locate 70 series windshields and found that the price for the windshield gasket was more than the windshield (86' - 89' variety) so I calked the gasket and problem went away.

Cheers,

Michael

crushers said:
remove hinge bolts an dhinges, remove 3 lock down bolts inside, remove FRP top bolts to windsheild frame, remove side cross post bolts, (now, this whole thing might become undoable if the top 2 bolts from the cross members to the windsheild frame are not accesable) remove wipers, pull out on bottom and drop from top. maybe put a cloth or leather gloves to prevent scatching.

THanks Wayne .I was having similar thoughts.

beanz2 said:
I also have leak problems at that same location, but mine I think is from the rusty windshield frame. If yours has no rust, I'd look at the seal between the windshield and the body.

Dave

That would mean removing the frame huh?:mad:

If it is just rusty by the window, you might get away with taking the glass out and fixing the rust while the frame is still on, but it would probably be easier to fix off the truck.
If it's not too rusty, just silicone and keep driving :D
Cheers,
Deny

roscoFJ73 said:

Not necessarily, it depends on where it is on the frame and how bad it is. You will want to remove the windshield though.

Cheers,

Michael

it is very easy to remove and replace the windsheild on a 70 but i would wait till you needed a new one since the old one is likely to crack...
it is true that IF you can get the frame off it will make it easier not to have to cover the inside of the truck against paint...
there is a product on the market that works great for "welding" a patch of new steel on. it is an adhesive and holds real good. i don't know the name though sorry. cheers

roscoFJ73 said:

Not necessarily, fold the windscreen and see how the rubber seal underneath looks. The ones off a 75 ute would suit the FJ73 if you need a replacement. Also look for rust holes.

Dave

I had a positive result to stopping the leak by filling the gap between frame and body with a marine black rubber sealant.
I got a nice neat recessed joint so you can hardly notice. Weve had 3 rainstorms and no leaks:D

Its only temporary till I can paint it next year.I had a good look at removing the w/frame without removing the FRP ,which is possible,but getting it back without introducing another leak looked unlikely.

Another source for that kind of leak is an extremely hidden spot. After fixing my w/s frame, the leak was decreased but not eliminated. After getting a new w/s gasket, the leak decreased to next to nothing, but still not eliminated. This leak then slowly increased over a winter (2 winters ago) despite the good w/s frame repair and new gasket. Finally, it turned out to be the inner/lower cowl.

The top plate of the cowl and the fender had to come off in order to expose the source. This lower/inner cowl panel is a kind of "spillway" that directs water off to the side and down to the ground under the cowl top plate and the outer fender. The very edge/lip had corroded away and allowed water to curl under through a small hole into the cabin. As it happens, in LHD Cruisers, this leak will likely occur on the right side b/c of parking on the side of the road; the vehicle is canted to the passenger side. (This may well explain why it usually seems to be that side that the w/s frame rusts). In RHD Cruisers you're parking on the "other side of the street", left side canted lower.

Fix = cut, weld, caulk.

Trivial Pursuit, anyone?

Before you pull out the window lift the bonnet look where the hinge folds into the vehicle and you will see a hole (it looks like someone hit it with an axe) pore water in there and see if that leaks.If you have leaks on both sides of vehicle it will probably be there.Fill the hole with whatever goop and hopefully its fixed.It might be worthwhile doing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom