leak on air intake airflow to throttle body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my 94 fzj80 to change spark plugs and distributor cap and rotor, and found out that the air intake has a vaccum leak. According to the mechanic causes sensor to send the wrong signal therfore more gas. currently givin me 9 miles /gal. It sucks the question is what are my choices to fix this problem.

I am avoiding the delership

any suggestions

Is he right

oh by the way the spark plugs wires are expensive originals 131.00 dollars

oreili´s 72.00

anyftermarket or good quality wires

131.00 for yota wires is expensive

hope to hear from you all soon

thanks!

Sounds like the black rubber intake tube is leaking due to cracks in the pleated section. The bottom usually cracks. You can buy this, and all other parts for your truck from Cdan here on the list or you can get your head ripped off locally.

DougM

Any ideas how much the rubber tube costs (ballpark?)

I cracked mine yesterday putting in a new airfilter (Doh!)

Cdan...

yea Cdan. He set me up real nice for the axle job, everything I needed was there.

I wanted to leave him alone since I will probably source that from the local shop. I'll call them and post here with results.

They are cheap compared to dirt ingestion into your engine!

Give CDan a call -

Intake hose for '94 ~ $60
Plug wires ~ $100

You'll pay more locally.

Tucker

BTW - You can wrap your intake tube with duct tape until you get a new one, stay away from the aftermarket Bosch wires -

ARRRRGH.

$60 for that POS hose? Cripes that might be worth $12

Man this thing sucks the big one.

$99.38 from the dealership locally, well in harlingen 30 min away plus gas prolly a 130.00

the engine goes up and down on the rpm you culd tell, misfiring a little.

after the change of sparkplugs and rotor and dist. cap it dies but the rpm's go down furhter.

before they would go down to 500rpms and it would come back up
no problem. but I hate it when my cars start running with problems

I call Dan but no answer yet.

Domek said:
oh by the way the spark plugs wires are expensive originals 131.00 dollars
oreili´s 72.00

The Toyota wires are far superior to aftermarket. There have been several posts where guys have put in the non-Toyota wires and complained of poor fit, water leaks, installation problems, and so on.

The price from C-Dan will be close enough to the O'Riley's price that you don't want to risk it. After replacing the wires once, I wouldn't buy aftermarket even if I had to pay the $131 list price.

-B-

GRRrrrr part two.

$100 from local dealer ($80 after TLCA discount) for a $#@% 6 inch long 2.5" in diameter hose? Jeebus, the rotors cost $100 and they look like $100 worth of steel. This thing looks like a $12 piece of hose.

What a PITA.

terry.mc said:
This thing looks like a $12 piece of hose.
What a PITA.

You must be looking at a different hose. The intake hose is a complex molded piece with a bellows in one section. As I recall, it's more like 5" in diameter rather than 2-1/2 and about 12" long instead of 6".

You've already been given the C-Dan price of ~$60. Call American Toyota and move on.

-B-

This is freaking silly -

Domek & terry.mc - you guys asked a question and we told you the best way to fix it, where to get the parts and how much it would cost. You haven't been around long enough to realize we've all either tried the alternative or helped others who though it was a better route - that's where the advice came from. If you want to do something else or buy somewhere else fine ... just giving you the best option. The parts you are replacing have probably been on the truck 100k or more ... and the OEM will last you that much longer. The aftermarket will not. The IH8MUD forum doesn't set the prices - Toyota does.

My $.02 -

Tucker

I maintain that I have the right to b!tch about the Toyota prices even if they are the best option :D

Thanks for the help fellas.

tucker don't take me wrong about not wanting to pay the price. I like my cruisers to run smoothly w/out hassle, since the 94 is the family hauler. I want that puppie to run good. you are right the sucker we bought it last year w/ exactly 100k miles.

Dan called with prices for the intake Reg. price as I said before $99.38 just as at my local stealership, w/ discount $74.93 I also had a post for a birfield seal kit $104.00 and cents per side.

the wires were at $81.00

Thanks for the response.

My wife called me to let me know that know the truck dies every five minutes

and parts will be here till monday.

is there any remedy to get it going for know, OK till monday? or is it better to let it rest for the entire week end

how about duckt tape?

I believed someone metion it before?

Hey Rick! You out there anywhere?

Domek needs some advice here and I was hoping you would chime in. :D

Domek,
As you were told in post #8 by Tucker74, you can temporarily seal any leaks in the intake hose by wrapping the hose with duct tape.

-B-

Domek,
wrap some tape around the pleated section of the tube, should keep you clear till monday, also check the vacuum tubes that run on the side of this section, a little leak causes a lot of problems.
Dave

I don't know if you have a similar intake, (it sounds about the same..) but I've fixed mine before using a split plastic water bottle and plenty of electrical/duct tape. It held enough to finish a trail and get to the shop for a replacement part..

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom