Leak Identification Help Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've noticed a slight burned smell on the truck since I got in November but never anything on the ground under the truck...so I just chalked it up to being old. When I was driving around the other day I saw smoke coming from under the driver side near the door. It sent me on a search for the source. I was digging around with the flash light and noticed a few things but no idea what I'm dealing with.

On the driver side I found red fluid with "medium" viscosity (honestly not sure if the viscosity is a matter of other gunk though) on the triangular exhaust connection to the header (red arrow below). I sprayed it with break clean to try and watch for the source. I watched for a few minutes with no luck but after driving around a bit I saw a new drip but still no clue where it's coming from. ATF, power stearing and radiator are all proper fluid levels. Any idea/suggestions on how to further diagnose?

Driver Side Red Fluid.jpg

I decided to move to the passenger side to try and see if there was something on that side. Found it pretty gunky on the power steering pulley and the hoses leading to it. Here again I break cleaned much of the area to try and check for leaks. Decided to get OCD and took off the skid plates to find the sway bar had a bunch of oil on it as well. So more break clean! With all cleaned up I watched for a while with everything off, nothing dripped. So started the truck. A bit of smoke came out of the area near the bolt closest to the firewall (picture below). It stopped after running a few minutes so assumed it was junk I knocked when cleaning. Drove it around a bit and then checked and small amount of consistent smoke was back. So I assume I have an oil leak (levels are fine though) and again, no idea where. Where else can/should I be looking?

Pass Source of Smoke.jpg

I'm going to give it a bit more research but just not sure where to go from here. The valve cover gasket and steering rack were replaced by Duggy's when I picked it up as part of the initial base lining. I'm hoping to fix this myself (with some help of the great minds of Mud) but just not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

Is the smoke steady? Could be an exhaust leak?

The drip/residue might be a different issue.

I've seen many times where the new or old bolts holding the head (valve) cover loosen, even after a gasket job! Could be oil burning. But so much as too smoke. Nope, not seen that.

Pictures lack clarity so useless for my old eyes. But PS looked dry at tab below bolt.

Red fluid on DS near the fire wall. May be coolant. Have you checked your heater tees. Very big deal. Was coolant level checked; after 8 hour cool down. By looking under radiator cap!

Plastic Heater Tees. Note: Lower rubber lines to/from rear heater core. Transmission Dipstick remove in 04-.
Heater tees.JPG

Last edited:
Can't tell for sure, but my money is on valve cover gaskets. I'd try snugging up the bolts there first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom