Sound Identification Please LC 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud Family,

I have been chasing this creak/clank noise for quite sometime, and I am finally going to ask for some help on this one. I have a 99 LC 100 with 225k miles. I have fox 2.0 in the front and bilsteins in the rear with I assume OEM springs. Previous owner did this, and i am working on getting it replaced with some Ironman FCP shocks and springs. About 8,000 miles prior to the work listed below, I replaced my front upper control arms with SPC UCA's and Toyota OEM lower control arms.

What I’ve done so far:
1. Tightened my e-brake cable, adjusted my shoes, checked every piece of the drum brake, rotor and caliper.
2. Superpro rear sway bar links. Thought this might be the fix because old bushings were toast.
3. Ironman 4x4 rear lower and upper control arms
4. I’ve hit under the car with a rubber hammer to recreate the noise.
5. I grease my spider and slip fittings every 3,000-5,000 miles depending on how I drive.
6. Tightened any suspension bolts when I was underneath.

When I push down or up on the bumper or tailgate I also get a creaking noise. The noise is also coming from the rear because if i go to a shopping center and go over a speed bump, no noise is made in the front axle area, but once the rear hits the speed bump I hear it.

Recently, a new noise has appeared and it is in the front right. It is a slight grinding noise when turning right at low speeds (5-10mph). I am assuming it is my inner tie rod on the front passenger because i am seeing some leakage on the boot. Previous owner said the rack was rebuilt. Not sure why he didn’t replace the rack with an oem one. But here we are.

Hopefully I can get some help here because I have been chasing this noise ever since I got this truck. I know it’s an old car, but I don’t think this noise should be made. I have photos of the inner tie rod boot, but can’t upload a video of the noise I have on my phone. If anyone would like me to PM so I can send them a txt of it, I could do that as well or vice versa.

Thanks everyone 🤙🏽

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to add that I can hear the noise in the rear when going over any rough roads: fire roads, washboard, uneven pavement, etc.

My inclination is that it's a bushing. So, in the rear there are the control arm bushings, the panhard bar bushings, the shock bushings, the swar bar mount bushings, and the sway bar end link bushings. Given your description of bouncing the rear bumper and recreating the sound, I feel like it's the control arm bushings or the panhard bar bushing as I think those are the ones most involved in that movement.

My first question is when you installed the rear control arms did you lower the car back down to resting on it's own weight PRIOR to torquing down the control arm mounting bolts? This is the correct way to install them so they "rest" in a neutral position, not it a stressed position.

If you can bounce the rear and make the sound, lay under the back while someone bounces the bumper for you.

My inclination is that it's a bushing. So, in the rear there are the control arm bushings, the panhard bar bushings, the shock bushings, the swar bar mount bushings, and the sway bar end link bushings. Given your description of bouncing the rear bumper and recreating the sound, I feel like it's the control arm bushings or the panhard bar bushing as I think those are the ones most involved in that movement.

My first question is when you installed the rear control arms did you lower the car back down to resting on it's own weight PRIOR to torquing down the control arm mounting bolts? This is the correct way to install them so they "rest" in a neutral position, not it a stressed position.

If you can bounce the rear and make the sound, lay under the back while someone bounces the bumper for you.
When i installed the rear upper and lower control arms, I did not lift the car up at all. All four tires were on the ground. Chalked all 4 tires so no to very little movement could have been made from the rear axle. I followed another post that another member posted. It made the same noise prior to the new control arms installation. I can check my panhard bushings tomorrow if the rain allows.

When i installed the rear upper and lower control arms, I did not lift the car up at all. All four tires were on the ground. Chalked all 4 tires so no to very little movement could have been made from the rear axle. I followed another post that another member posted. It made the same noise prior to the new control arms installation. I can check my panhard bushings tomorrow if the rain allows.
I also did the bounce test on the tailgate and could not really pinpoint the squeak. I’ll try to get a stethoscope. I’ll spray wd40 in a spot and track it down.

But i don’t think that’s my main noise when going over bumps or rougher/uneven road conditions.

My next check, especially given the thunk combo sound, would be the shocks.
Maybe they’re toast. Can’t really trust what the prior owner has done based on what I’ve done to the LC so far lol.

Any thoughts on the front inner tie rod boot leak by chance? Easy fix or something more?

Really appreciate the fast response btw

Rear noise definitely sounds like the top bushing on the shocks. Mine did the same thing until I replaced them. I'd get my wife to bounce on the rear end of the car as well and sprayed WD up there and it quietened it.

Just replaced my inner and outer tie rods about a month ago. Fairly easy job but mine wasn't leaking like yours.

I'd check the rear sway bar links, specifically where the link is bolted to the sway bar. These trucks have a weird almost plastic bushing in there that will fall apart and make noise.

A grinding noise is not something normally attributed to a steering rack. I would add AT-205 to the power steering and you may stop that weeping.

Grinding is often from CV axles. Are your boots leaking?

Rear noise definitely sounds like the top bushing on the shocks. Mine did the same thing until I replaced them. I'd get my wife to bounce on the rear end of the car as well and sprayed WD up there and it quietened it.

Just replaced my inner and outer tie rods about a month ago. Fairly easy job but mine wasn't leaking like yours.
The creaking/squeak noise is only heard when the car is parked. I’ll give the WD-40 a shot. The other noise when going over a speed bump and it is almost like a clanking noise. I’m going to try to tighten the rear shocks. It’s raining here in California so I’ll have to wait it out.

Searched more on the forum and it is sadly a sign of a steering rack gasket. Luckily i caught it earlier than seeing oil on the floor. My power steering reservoir is still normal level.

I'd check the rear sway bar links, specifically where the link is bolted to the sway bar. These trucks have a weird almost plastic bushing in there that will fall apart and make noise.
I replaced it with the superpro extended rear links and bushings. I really thought that would be the fix haha.

A grinding noise is not something normally attributed to a steering rack. I would add AT-205 to the power steering and you may stop that weeping.

Grinding is often from CV axles. Are your boots leaking?
I’ll grab some AT-205 today. I saw that might be helpful to seal the leak from other posts I’ve been reading.

The previous owner put duralast CV axles prior to me purchasing the LC. I checked and no rips or grease build up on the boots or lower control arm.

I’ll grab some AT-205 today. I saw that might be helpful to seal the leak from other posts I’ve been reading.

The previous owner put duralast CV axles prior to me purchasing the LC. I checked and no rips or grease build up on the boots or lower control arm.
Didn't read this one too closely but other than the obvious suspect you can lift your e-brake handle slightly while banging down the forest roads and try to eliminate that as a culprit.

Mine kind of mouse squeak / rattles over the washboard roads. Has been doing it for years, sometimes worse than others. If I lift the ebrake slightly the noise goes away.

Have seen a handful of others with this issue, just an easy quick test to try.

i was able to get under the LC when the rain stopped for a little and noticed something weird for the bottom part of the shock. Previous owner put a washer cup for the cushion at the bottom of the shock. Now sure if this is the culprit for the noise, but we will get to it tomorrow.

IMG_3960.png

IMG_3964.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom