Events/Trails LCDC 7 - Summer 2021 Official Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A sort of SOS to the mud/lcdc crew. On the way back from Silverton to Ouray we got stuck behind a Subaru (always a Subaru) that decided to do 2mph through a water/rock fall onto 550. Of course they went straight down the middle of the road and we caught a rock right through the sunroof. We are fine, the truck has a blue tarp over it because it's still raining, but does anyone know a dealer in Durango, glass people, etc. Does anyone know what it would even take to change the sunroof glass? We were supposed to head to Yellowstone, grand Teton, and back through Utah on the way home, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be good with a missing sunroof.

Thanks,
Josh
(You can also text) 5o49o57o23

Last edited:
I'm jealous! Wish I was there. I did see a couple decked out 200 series last weekend heading west on I80 through Iowa. I have to assume it was folks going to this. Some year we'll be there.

Another great day today! We had to abandon the original plan and @indycole did a great job of selecting a backup option. Last Dollar to Telluride and Ophir Pass back to Ouray. Beautiful day:

A3DEB0EF-42DB-420A-B5FB-9DD427599C56.jpeg
FAEF7B5F-9741-4FD4-A67F-0E23347A3B4D.jpeg

A sort of SOS from the mud/lcdc crew. On the way back from Silverton we got stuck behind a Subaru (always a Subaru) that decided to do 2mph through a water/rock fall onto 550. Of course they went straight down the middle and we caught a rock right through the sunroof. We are fine, the truck has a blue tarp over it because it's still raining, but does anyone know a dealer in Durango, etc, or what it would even take to change the sunroof glass?

Thanks,
Josh
might be able to find a glass guy in Montrose. Otherwise Grand Junction for sure. Sorry I don’t have an idea who but I would think most glass shops could do it… would just depend on whether they had to order it

We had a bunch of “pebbles” smack my roof and windshield on that same spot (there were like 5 waterfalls coming down into the road) about an hour ago. Two stayed on my hood until we got back to Ouray. I can’t yet tell if one cracked my windshield as it’s still raining too hard.

Black Bear today. Most of the good pics are on the Nikon and will take some time for me to upload once we get home, but here are a couple from my iPhone
1B23E3DD-3FAF-4FEE-9D21-175A60E6BD22.jpeg

E2949022-249E-4125-B382-C9ACC0AE2FBE.jpeg

696E15DF-8680-4F2B-BB32-874F46AA3AAA.jpeg

We’ll be there. Seems decent chance rain might be out of the area within the next hour.
All right. Count me in. 730 sharp, or earlier?

might be able to find a glass guy in Montrose. Otherwise Grand Junction for sure. Sorry I don’t have an idea who but I would think most glass shops could do it… would just depend on whether they had to order it

We had a bunch of “pebbles” smack my roof and windshield on that same spot (there were like 5 waterfalls coming down into the road) about an hour ago. Two stayed on my hood until we got back to Ouray. I can’t yet tell if one cracked my windshield as it’s still raining too hard.
I did call one guy up there. He told me it would definitely be an order part for anyone and it would probably be weeks. That is a bummer, but I am going to try some more places. I thought maybe a dealer could track one down if I'm lucky...

I did call one guy up there. He told me it would definitely be an order part for anyone and it would probably be weeks. That is a bummer, but I am going to try some more places. I thought maybe a dealer could track one down if I'm lucky...

I'll be there at 7:30.
Right on. See y'all then.

A sort of SOS to the mud/lcdc crew. On the way back from Silverton to Ouray we got stuck behind a Subaru (always a Subaru) that decided to do 2mph through a water/rock fall onto 550. Of course they went straight down the middle of the road and we caught a rock right through the sunroof. We are fine, the truck has a blue tarp over it because it's still raining, but does anyone know a dealer in Durango, glass people, etc. Does anyone know what it would even take to change the sunroof glass? We were supposed to head to Yellowstone, grand Teton, and back through Utah on the way home, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be good with a missing sunroof.

Thanks,
Josh
There is a dealer in Durango. Drove by it several times when we were there earlier this week. Glad no one was hurt.

my wife just saw Facebook book post about mudslide on 550 about 40 minutes ago.

Did you see the mud slide closer to Silverton? Think it was a little after the one that closed the road a few days ago. I was able to make it by, but looked like it was across the whole road.

If you can't find one and don't want to cancel the rest of your trip, find a Home Depot or similar and get a sheet of Plexi and just tape it on.
Easy to cut and with some good tape should stay on for the rest of your trip.
Otherwise check SLC and see if any dealers there can get you one on your way to Yellowstone.

Although not secure and probably loud, a vinyl/sign shop can throw a vinyl patch over it. Some good vinyl with heavy lamination will stay on there just fine, And you can get it the color of your LC and no one would ever even know ;)

Thanks,
Josh
Man I would use the gorilla tape. The wide kind. It’s like 3inches wide. Just put it on the glass part for now. I am sure it will hold up for a week or so. That stuff is tough. Just an idea if you can’t find a replacement locally.

Did you see the mud slide closer to Silverton? Think it was a little after the one that closed the road a few days ago. I was able to make it by, but looked like it was across the whole road.
Did you go through the slide? I got gas in Silverton after you left. This is what it looked like when I got there.

20210730_180914.jpg

Thanks guys, I am going to call SLC and Durango tomorrow morning. There was muddy water flowing heavily across 550 by red mountain when we crossed @RobW0. I went to the hardware store and bought 3 "open house" signs, some insulation foam, and a lot of gorilla tape. I cut a blank out of the signs, and used a ton of tape to make it solid then stuffed the foam between the makeshift sign sunroof and the shade to give it some more rigidity (obviously closed the shade all the way after the picture). Seems like it will keep the weather out until I can get somewhere for a replacement. I'm going to bow out of Imogene tomorrow sadly, but will be around for the after party.

Screenshot_20210730-212703_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom