LC80 "Explosive" Oil Leak? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't worry so much about oil leaks. It's not a Jeep. The slightest leak or issue WONT make these cars commit suicide. I used to be super paranoid about any issues with my Jeeps since they were skilled at leaving me stranded. My 80's which are much older with double to triple the mileage have never left me stranded. The days of being a crazy paranoid car enthusiast are over. Baseline it, maintain, and drive it like you stole it. A loved 80 will love it's owner back. Not a motto in the Jeep world.

A friend of mine has been highly concerned about his 94......It's leaking oil........per him, it's about one drip per month.......I started laughing........

My son drives my old Jeep GC (ZJ) and we don't even have to change the oil because it leaks faster than we can change it. Every time we refill it is like getting 50% new oil........... We just don't park it in the driveway......

Yup, very likely a rear arch seal. Best way to handle leaks is to find a local place that does engine steam cleaning. Have them clean the engine top and bottom, then look for and repair leaks. Much faster, cleaner, and it makes an old truck a joy to work on. I have a local place and have had 4 of my vehicles there. Usually about $100 and worth every penny.

BTW, my rear arch seal was leaking (barely dripping, really) when I bought my '96 and it looked pretty similar to this truck. It's a bit of a pain to reseal, but not very difficult.
hey man, thanks for the info. im sorry but my english is not the best with technical stuff.

wha is the rear arch seal? i have a similar oil leak, not as bad but maybe i can have a look at this, thanks

wha is the rear arch seal? i have a similar oil leak, not as bad but maybe i can have a look at this, thanks

This is a good resource, should help get you started in the right direction:

This is a good resource, should help get you started in the right direction:

thanks

pretty normal of this truck's age. You can fix it over time but not something i would worry about as long as you keep that oil topped.

I have a 2016 JKUR and much like you have an 80 to supplement the jeep (i call them brothers from another mother!). Obviously most folks here would want to believe that a used 80 with spotty history is more reliable than a newish Jeep is just a bit being romantic. Reality is you will have to do quite a bit of preventive maintenance, get to know your new to you truck, and prove itself over time before it can earn your trust. The best part though is that yes, it will eventually get to that point and then you realize why folks have such high respects for this truck.

Good luck with your 80 ownership and hopefully the Jeep won't fall to the wayside as it has been happening with me lately

Be careful when getting the transmission out... I snapped off a small piece at the tip and destroyed the tranny... mainly because I also replaced the rear main seal while in there.

pretty normal of this truck's age. You can fix it over time but not something i would worry about as long as you keep that oil topped.

I have a 2016 JKUR and much like you have an 80 to supplement the jeep (i call them brothers from another mother!). Obviously most folks here would want to believe that a used 80 with spotty history is more reliable than a newish Jeep is just a bit being romantic. Reality is you will have to do quite a bit of preventive maintenance, get to know your new to you truck, and prove itself over time before it can earn your trust. The best part though is that yes, it will eventually get to that point.....

Good luck with your 80 ownership and hopefully the Jeep won't fall to the wayside as it has been happening with me lately

I left the majority of your post to keep context, but I disagree.

These were $35K-$70K rigs in 1993-1997 USD prices.

A Jeep is what....$35-40K in 2020 USD?
:::: I think even that is liberal pricing ::::

From that, decide the build quality of a 1997 ~$55K rig vs. a $35K 2020 MSRP rig.

With service & seals, and same/same services, which of the 2 has greater intrinsic value?
-True intrinsic value, above the collector/cult status value we’re seeing?

—Point being, if I’m doing a rear main, it’s money well spent on a F(z)J80 over any Jeep. Simple math.

Jeeps are NOT any form of ‘brother/nuther mutha’.
Doppelgängers at best - in the CJ/40 days.

At best.

Why don’t you call a Land Rover D90 like a FJ40 while making this point? - because it won’t fly.

To circle back, to the OP - take it slow.
Clean your motor. Isolate oil leaks on clean metal.

I don’t mind my ‘blowdown’, but I lose <1/4qt of 5-30 Mobil 1 in blowdown versus prior to doing stem seals - I’d drop near a full quart on my old stem seals.

And that’s 1/4qt on ~8K/annual oil changes, whichever I hit first - so not like I’m talking 3K intervals.

So if you ever need to do a HG, do a good head service - my oil went out the tailpipe, not into the “rustproofing” I’m fine with as I see my 148K 80.

I left the majority of your post to keep context, but I disagree.

that's fine. I expect a bit of heat from my statement lol. But well, a triple-locked, solid axle 80 has a lot more similarity to a Jeep than the 100s/200s so yeah that's how i see it, nothing more. Besides those are my rigs, i can call them whatever i want.

Not sure where intrinsic value came from as i never mentioned any of it. But i'm talking about earning trust of your truck. Buying a used truck of this vintage requires a bit of preventive maintenance and requires a lot of miles getting to know them. It is true for any used vehicles, although i have to say when i bought my LC with highest confidence that it will earn my trust quickly. For me, in less than a year, i took it to a 2-week trip to Colorado mountains and other than a busted exhaust, i only had to use the hammer on the starter a few times.

My 80 drinks a quart every 1K. Someday i'll have to take care of those stem seals.

Honestly that looks exactly like the bottom of mine. Front crank seal, oil pump seal, and distributor o-ring ALL were toast. Took maybe a solid weekend day to do all three. Check out Wit-End for parts. That's what I used for the oil pump seal kit.

There is a back dust cover on the bottom of the bellhousing facing the front of the truck. Pop it open and see if the flywheel area is dry or has oil. If it does have oil, it is your rear main seal. All other leak areas mentioned above are sources and easy to do. Rear main is not that easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom