LC200 Engine swap options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like it is just a cylinder head and some valves and valve springs that need replaced.. I'd probably do the other head as well just to be safe..
as long as the damage was just bent valves and not catastrophic the 3UR-FE can be rebuilt like any other motor..

Jegs has complete 3UR-FE heads for $772/ea.. for instance...

The head gasket is a separate issue... blowing through between the cylinders will result in a loss of compression basically, and cause misfires etc (since the mix is no longer correct.) but not use coolant since it is not a blow out to a part of the block cooling system..

It might have caused the bent valves but probably not..
If you engine was feeling underpowered before all this happened then that is why.
It’s almost like you didn’t read the original post or thread. I have rebuilt engines (plural). The individuals whom I consulted, are master mechanics in charge of multiple shops. The opinion that you hold, was the assumption that I held prior to breaking my 3UR-FE. I have done my due diligence.

The disclaimer, which was the first line of my post, was intended for this exact reason. I’m seeking individuals who have swap recommendations…

LX600 is an option
I think the turbo v6 is a step in the wrong direction as far as reliability is concerned, but it is a Toyota so it's probably better than ecoboost! I do get the message though, you have the money to do what you want, which is a nice luxury.
I would also like to know this. My new (used) 3UR-FE is out of a 2010
2010 LC? I've wondered how difficult it would be to swap in a low mileage Tundra engine, I'd imagine the oil pan, and pickup would need changed, front dressing, etc. Probably have to strip it down to a long block and move everything over but it might not be difficult. I had an 07 tundra and like most of my Toyotas, I spent little time under the hood. Now my vintage Fords, I know every nut and bolt on them!

You swapping it in a home garage/shop? I'd love to see pics, or even an engine swap thread.

Oh I read your post..
you might have some luck on the tundra forums..

I think you are probably on you own in pure custom land trying to do a 6.2.. with adapters and such.. but the real challenge is the electronics.

We do them with defenders all the time but nothing to integrate to on the truck… it’s all new gm parts. We do integrate to the puma dash via canbus but there is a part for that.

For the 200 nothing I know of.

I think the turbo v6 is a step in the wrong direction as far as reliability is concerned, but it is a Toyota so it's probably better than ecoboost! I do get the message though, you have the money to do what you want, which is a nice luxury.

2010 LC? I've wondered how difficult it would be to swap in a low mileage Tundra engine, I'd imagine the oil pan, and pickup would need changed, front dressing, etc. Probably have to strip it down to a long block and move everything over but it might not be difficult. I had an 07 tundra and like most of my Toyotas, I spent little time under the hood. Now my vintage Fords, I know every nut and bolt on them!

You swapping it in a home garage/shop? I'd love to see pics, or even an engine swap thread
I’m also interested to see the longevity of the 300 platform. Gasoline turbo engines don’t have a “bulletproof” track record. Lexus has a 75k mile drivetrain warranty so I’d consider the lx after a few years of it proving itself to consumers.
I have a trusted friend of the the family doing the swap for me at one of his dealerships. Unfortunately this happened just as I took on a new role at work. When it rains it pours.

As stated in the original post, I’m in the middle of swapping for a used 3UR-FE…. It’s a 2010 with 63k miles
Gotcha. Sorry after a few days and replies I’d forgotten that. I think you’re making the right call and I’ll be surprised if you run into another issue. Lots of folks with 250k on their rigs still running strong on the forum

To the original question, I think it’d be a challenge to for an LS motor in an LC. Dimensionally it may work, though I suspect you’d have some interesting clearance issues with the front diff. As others note the electronics are likely to give you issues, as there are a lot of sensors (and more importantly specific sensor values/ranges) that the Toyota ECU relies on, so you’d need to figure those out, otherwise you’ll have a beefy 6.2L motor that will be stuck in limp mode doing 50mph

the Land Cruiser to tundra 3UR-FE motor swap is fairly straight forward for your friend to do.. there are some parts that need to move over from the old motor but nothing that does not bolt up..

So that part of the job is just time.
It is done fairly regularly given the availability of Tundra 3UR's (a friends LX had this done, different failure, one that could have easily been avoided as well, but that is another story).

I would do a L87 6.2 in a 70 series :)

the Land Cruiser to tundra 3UR-FE motor swap is fairly straight forward for your friend to do.. there are some parts that need to move over from the old motor but nothing that does not bolt up..

So that part of the job is just time.
It is done fairly regularly given the availability of Tundra 3UR's (a friends LX had this done, different failure, one that could have easily been avoided as well, but that is another story).

I would do a L87 6.2 in a 70 series :)
It’s actually a 2010 LC 3UR-FE. The only noted difference with the 2010 is an oil sensor on the pan that doesn’t exist on the 2008.

70 series are cool.

What's the current price for a used 3UR-FE? Just curious, I have no need for one, knock wood. I had heard there was an issue with early valve springs but have heard any numbers. A friend locally had one from a Tundra for sale a few years back and he didnt get any bites. He had bought a wrecked tundra and parted it out. He said that it must mean they are pretty reliable.

Hoovie on Youtube had a video where he talked about how to determine if an engine is good or bad. The cheaper the used engines are, the better they are because not many people need them. On the other hand engine swaps screw that up a little because the market price is high because people are putting it in vehicles that didnt come with it originally. I dont think many people are swapping 3UR-FEs into anything really.

What's the current price for a used 3UR-FE? Just curious, I have no need for one, knock wood. I had heard there was an issue with early valve springs but have heard any numbers. A friend locally had one from a Tundra for sale a few years back and he didnt get any bites. He had bought a wrecked tundra and parted it out. He said that it must mean they are pretty reliable.

Hoovie on Youtube had a video where he talked about how to determine if an engine is good or bad. The cheaper the used engines are, the better they are because not many people need them. On the other hand engine swaps screw that up a little because the market price is high because people are putting it in vehicles that didnt come with it originally. I dont think many people are swapping 3UR-FEs into anything really.
Check car-part or similar but $4-6k seems to be a rough cost for a used engine. Dealer labor is easily that much to do the swap, likely more. I think indycole’s swap was about $15k out the door

Everyone wants to say "Just LS swap it!" but they've never done it. I've been there, done that and on a platform where all the swap stuff was available, so motor mounts, tranny adapter plate etc. It was still a gigantic PITA to get everything integrated and running like factory, took an inordinate amount of time and several truck loads of money.

Let's put it this way, I'll *never* do it again.

Everyone wants to say "Just LS swap it!" but they've never done it. I've been there, done that and on a platform where all the swap stuff was available, so motor mounts, tranny adapter plate etc. It was still a gigantic PITA to get everything integrated and running like factory, took an inordinate amount of time and several truck loads of money.

Let's put it this way, I'll *never* do it again.

See my sig.

I would, but only in something meant to be a toy like an Exocet or drag/track car of some kind.

Anything meant to be integrated like a modern vehicle and functional for daily driving: absolutely not.

track car is one thing, street car where you want all instruments working, cruise control, hvac, emissions, etc, etc is a whole other story.

Gotcha. Sorry after a few days and replies I’d forgotten that. I think you’re making the right call and I’ll be surprised if you run into another issue. Lots of folks with 250k on their rigs still running strong on the forum

To the original question, I think it’d be a challenge to for an LS motor in an LC. Dimensionally it may work, though I suspect you’d have some interesting clearance issues with the front diff. As others note the electronics are likely to give you issues, as there are a lot of sensors (and more importantly specific sensor values/ranges) that the Toyota ECU relies on, so you’d need to figure those out, otherwise you’ll have a beefy 6.2L motor that will be stuck in limp mode doing 50mph

I'm not surprised by dealership prices, but like for like motors can generally be swapped pretty easily. Having done it on several occasions, it'd be under a 10 hr operation, and possibly far less, for a fully equipped garage.

I'm not surprised by dealership prices, but like for like motors can generally be swapped pretty easily. Having done it on several occasions, it'd be under a 10 hr operation, and possibly far less, for a fully equipped garage.
I know now where I’m shipping my truck when I need to rebuild the engine… ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom