LC100 Cabin Air Filter - I have AF slot but no filter - Should I get one put in? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow Mudsters, Hope everyone is doing great.

I was doing routine maintenance on my Toyota cars. The 3 that I have. Then I got intrigued if my LC100 has a cabin air filter or not. So being the curious cat I when on to look for my cabin air filter. Looks like there is a slot on my LC for a cabin air filter. But there was no air filter in place. My question are the following

1. Can I put a cabin air filter in it now?
2. If so what is the part number?
3. Does it do have a big benefit of having one?
4. Is there anything else I need to know in terms of cabin air filter?

As always your input is appreciated

LC100 Cabin Airfilter 1.jpg
LC100 Cabin Airfilter 2.jpg

Fellow Mudsters, Hope everyone is doing great.

I was doing routine maintenance on my Toyota cars. The 3 that I have. Then I got intrigued if my LC100 has a cabin air filter or not. So being the curious cat I when on to look for my cabin air filter. Looks like there is a slot on my LC for a cabin air filter. But there was no air filter in place. My question are the following

1. Can I put a cabin air filter in it now?
2. If so what is the part number?
3. Does it do have a big benefit of having one?
4. Is there anything else I need to know in terms of cabin air filter?

As always your input is appreciated

1. Looks like it, yes. Do you have the door/cover?
2. I get Denso on Amazon, 453-1001 for around $13.
3. Out here, absolutely. The desert is a dusty place. I suppose the benefit comes down to how you use the truck.
4. Not really :cheers:

That slot actually holds two identical filters. They lock together sort of to make one big filter. You insert the first one and it should drop down and only be partially visible. The second one then slips into the slot, the upper edge of the lower (first) filter mating with the lower edge of the second filter. You should definitely poke around in that slot with a chopstick or something and loosen up any accumulated crud, then vacuum it out before new filters go in. I slap a piece of masking tape on my “door” and write the date the new ones are installed.

That slot actually holds two identical filters. They lock together sort of to make one big filter. You insert the first one and it should drop down and only be partially visible. The second one then slips into the slot, the upper edge of the lower (first) filter mating with the lower edge of the second filter. You should definitely poke around in that slot with a chopstick or something and loosen up any accumulated crud, then vacuum it out before new filters go in. I slap a piece of masking tape on my “door” and write the date the new ones are installed.
@saucebox - Really appreciate the info you provided. Especially the part number for the air filter. - And yes I have the air filter door.

@Rad26rio - Thanks buddy I was wondering why in this picture from Amazon it was showing 2 filters. I thought 1 was extra for the 2nd time.

BTW what is it required to change these filters...every 100k miles?

Thanks

1615923158880.png

@saucebox - Really appreciate the info you provided. Especially the part number for the air filter. - And yes I have the air filter door.

@Rad26rio - Thanks buddy I was wondering why in this picture from Amazon it was showing 2 filters. I thought 1 was extra for the 2nd time.

BTW what is it required to change these filters...every 100k miles?

Thanks

View attachment 2616145

Sometimes I change them after just one trip. A couple weeks ago I was in Baja California, and almost every road was dusty. The set had probably 2500 miles on them.

If I haven't been out, I usually check once per month when I'm already looking at oil levels, tire pressures, the underhood air filter, etc.

This is a no-brainer since you have the pre cut slot - you should definitely just drop a cabin filter in an improve your air quality.

I had to do the full retrofit which was a bit of a hassle, but something I felt was well worth it.

Mine looked like this at about 49k miles.
unnamed (3).jpg

Once a year, usually right after HIH.

TYC 800099P2 Lexus Replacement Cabin Air Filter​

Every time I get back from Death Valley, or anywhere in the desert, the 1st thing I do is change the filters. My Land Cruiser didn't come with them from the factory so I did the retrofit. It has been worth every minute of the 10 minutes it took to do it.

That you guys for all of this info. I’m headed to the Moab area next month. I know I’ll need new ones before and after.

Man, I tried this, but was shot down.

I have a JDM 2002 UZJ100, and my cover / cabin is flipped. But, I figured the filters would fit the same, as there was a part on a fiche to source.

But, once I pulled off the cover, the depth on the a/c evap coil, is no where near as deep as the USDM enclosure / coil. My coil is about two inches shallower…

So no filters for me. Unless I just stuff some foam in there.

21528014-A16B-4733-8CE8-0705D979819E.jpeg

4994B9D1-69C6-4B53-9CAB-4453FBAAB367.jpeg

nope, I resigned to no filter in there...dunno.
I've measured the slot, will post a pic of estimates. I've got a 2000 4.2TD(South African spec) The filter in the pic is for later models(with measurements indicating size I require, not to scale obviously) Magenta line is the filter slot and Green is how far down the filter needs to drop, so 2 filters, 1 on top of the other needed
IMG-20220928-WA0013.jpg

Got a few spares from a guy who just sold his 100, so going to make do with the filter that came with the hamper.

Gonna separate the sponge and cut into 2 blocks as indicated in Green. Will reglue the sponge with a hot glue gun. Update on how it all goes will be posted

I also intend pulling the dash to clean all the ducting and evap(which I'll soak in the housing with some detergent) pretty pointless if not done with all the gunk that's already passed through. Initial inspection was quite a nauseating site to behold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom