LC 105 underpowered and over-equipped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would take a GD series G-wagen if someone wants to buy me one...otherwise I am sticking with my lil 80

03Mar2004 (UTC +8)

[quote author=FJ809496TLC link=board=2;threadid=10593;start=msg97182#msg97182 date=1075520482]
Cool. I have never been to Visayan Island nor Mindanao. :-\ Maybe someday. I experienced riding on a ferry inside the cruiser from Victoria Island, Vancouver to Seattle, Wash.. Have a good time. :)
[/quote]

I did have a bit of fun... too much actually :)

26348323.toomanyspottersdamn.jpg

More at:
http://www.pbase.com/drexx/libertad_23feb2004&page=all

That's why they sell the 78/79. It's the real basic down getting to the meat of a tough vehicle. I thought you could get a stripped down 105 with solid axles over there anyway... the 100 seems pretty decent to me.. the only thing is it's out of reach for your more common folk who would have bought a 40 or maybe a 60 back in the day.

Regarding the Hilux, as mention:

There is no relation between the overseas Hilux and North American TAcoma. Even the body is different, even though they look similier.

The frame, suspension, axles, transmissions and T-case are totally different. The Hilux did use the same 3RZ for a while, and the interior is very closely related, but that's about it. The Tacoma uses a coil spring front suspension, rack and pinion steering and different rear axle and diff and the T-case drops down on the driver's side. The frame is Dana built and is not fully boxed at the rear.

The Tacoma is basicly a 1/2 ton rated truck that is never intended to carry a load more than 1/2 ton. The Hilux is a 1 ton rate truck that is sold in both 1 ton and 1/2 ton model. The Hilux uses the the old style IFS and suspension that was introduced in 1986. They basicly took a new body and interior and dropped it on the same old frame and IFS. But this old frame and IFS design is far superior to the Tacoma design off road and for carrying heavy loads. The Tacoma design is far superior on the highway and handles and drives better.

I'll be really interested to see what Toyota decides to do with the Hilux after they introduce the all new Tacoma. The new Tacoma will be much larger and will still be heavily designed toward cruising the mall rather than the bush. I would imagine Toyota isn't going to sell the new Tacoma overseas as it probably wouldn't hold up to the abuse and they probably aren't going to design an all new model just for the low sales volume of the overseas market, so I would expect the current Hilux to be sold for several more years.

As for the South American Land Cruiser 80 series, Toyota does sell old 80 series in certain countries, specificly, Venezuala. Toyota owns a factory in that county and produces Toyotas there because that country has laws against importing a certain about of vehicle content from overseas. This left Toyota with a problem. If it wanted to continue to sell Land Cruisers there, they would either have to bring in all new tooling to produce the new 100 series, or just continue to produce the old 80 series for which the tooling already existed. With the low sales volumn it made sense to just keep building and selling the 80 series.

Toyota did the same thing in South Africa for a number of years. Rather than introduce the newly redesigned Hilux in 1989, they continued to produce the 1984 design through 1997. So you see a bunch of 1990s model Toyota pick ups over there that look just like our 1984 and 1985 trucks.

"There was a Landrover Defender 110" Troop Carrier availible from 1984/1985 to about 1993. "

there still is a defender 110 troopcarrier (or at least there was last year)

still a valid compeditor for the 7X troopy...

I think the 40s got more room.In a 40 you dont have the door jammed into your shoulder and your left knee doesnt rub on the aircon duct. Apart from the ergonomics the defender's not bad and heaps better than all those s***boxes that struggle on a rough track into a picnic area!
If I was doing the big trip round oz I would still prefer the troopie if only for its road manners.

still a troopy style thing with utilitarian looks and (allegedly) rugged construction... not that i'd buy one, but joe blogs who just wants an offroad wagon might consider it (esp price wise) over our beloved 7x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom