Landcruiser Prados (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have any of you BC guys out there checked out any of the 1990 model year Landcruiser Prados at Penticton Toyota. I think they have about 4 of them. I wonder who is importing them for the dealership. It's kinda strange a dealer would try and break into the importing older vehicles market. Anyone know what the specs are on these rigs. Solid axles front and rear?

Mike.

I think they are on consignment, dont know who owns them though. Ours will arrive here tomorrow afternoon! :grinpimp: For an 8 seater, with elec diff locks, comfy ride, winch, low kms turbo diesel the value of these trucks is a no-brainer in my opinion. I know the 2L, 2LTII, 2LT-e gets a bad rap but I have quite a lot of experience with these over the years and I dont mind them. Ya sure there gutless but they do the job and economically (unless you blow the headgasket ;) ) Stress regular maintenece especially cooling system hoses belts, oils etc. I would expect to see plenty more of these trucks and others (Nissan, Mitsubishis) and prices to rise accordingly. Give you a report tomorrow night when I get behind the wheel.

:beer:

JOhnny

Hi Gang,

There's a '90 Prado for sale in the Buy & Sell. Dealer in New Westminster. I think they want $16,900. No winch and a rear electric locker. Nice rig with an expedition rack.

B

i have driven one and the 2L-T is a very fine engine for this vehicle.
the coil ride is phenomenal, very roomy, good head room.

the wheelbase length is exactly the same as the 60 series to the cm.

the engine is actually quite powerful, not a 12HT but still powerful for the size of it. i have not tested the fuel economy yet but i am sure it will be very good, should be in the low 30s for 90 k/h and the high 20s for 110. i would definately crank the boost a bit and turn up the fuel since the Japanese have a lower setting than what the rest of the word got. for those that need even more power a propane Injection system is the ticket. i am not sure the 2LTE got the same bad rap the poor old 2LT did or not.

these 4 door Prados (LJ78) have a look and feel of a downsized 81. at least this is exactly what i thought when i first looked at them. the rear seats fold down and up the side simular to the NA spec 80s and the middle row folds down and ahead.

the controls are all within easy reach of the driver.

i have a very nice one showing up next month, low km and in extremely clean shape (it is coming in with my first 5 spd HDJ81 (58,000 km).

what i find funny is Toyota slams the door on the import parts (not on the NA micro then Toyota will not bring the parts in) then a dealer starts selling them. i guess Toyota really is upset over the imports taking business away from the dealers.

cheers

I was tempted to go for an LJ78 over here for a while but it ended around the same time as my 2LT powered hiluxsurf came down with a cracked head, between the valves on 3 of 4 cyls. That said the 2LT is a fine engine when in good condition, you just need to nurture the cooling system and keep it 100%. Theres lots of pre '93 LJ78s around here all with either 2LTs or 2LTEs, also surfs too. I'd really really love a KZJ78, late '92 auto .... mmmmmmmm......zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Good luck with the '90, happy cruisin'

A2B in a TLC said:
Hi Gang,

There's a '90 Prado for sale in the Buy & Sell. Dealer in New Westminster. I think they want $16,900. No winch and a rear electric locker. Nice rig with an expedition rack.

B

Heres the results for a search I did on 'Prado' in my local 'BUYANDSell' here in Ireland (next door neighbours to the USA only theres just the technicalities as in the Atlantic Ocean in the middle!!!!) These are RHD though....

TOYOTA LANDCRUISER, 1997, swb, passenger, Prado, p/s, c/l, e/w, a/c, cd, front A bar, rear towbar, blue over silver, very clean, €13,950. Contact: 086-2693635.

Toyota Landcrusier Prado 2.4 Dsl '91.7 seater, auto, full NCT, 120k mls, wine, immac throughout, €6,000. Contact: 087-7488750.

€13,950 = $17,247
€6,000 = €7,418

Anyone wanna send me lots of dollars???

Hi Wayner,

First, once again its too bad we won't see you at Cruiser Days next w/e. But make sure you give notice when you make it to Vancouver and we'll pull a group together.

I was in love with the LJ78 you had for sale. Is it sold yet, as I note it still on your web site. You quote 33-38 mpg.

Take care and have a good trip out east.

Bruce

Bruce,
yep it is still forsale and arrives the end of Sept...

Berni and i will let the list know when we are heading down your way. i would love to get together with everyone. thaks for the offer
cheers

2rivers said:
I think they are on consignment, dont know who owns them though. Ours will arrive here tomorrow afternoon! :grinpimp: For an 8 seater, with elec diff locks, comfy ride, winch, low kms turbo diesel the value of these trucks is a no-brainer in my opinion. I know the 2L, 2LTII, 2LT-e gets a bad rap but I have quite a lot of experience with these over the years and I dont mind them. Ya sure there gutless but they do the job and economically (unless you blow the headgasket ;) ) Stress regular maintenece especially cooling system hoses belts, oils etc. I would expect to see plenty more of these trucks and others (Nissan, Mitsubishis) and prices to rise accordingly. Give you a report tomorrow night when I get behind the wheel. :beer: JOhnny

Didi it arrive? Your thoughts?

Thanks

gb

Hi Greg,

It is with sad heart I say that I report when the vehicle was drove up here the headgasket went. Awesome first day, second day disaster. So I will exchnage my :grinpimp: to an :crybaby: I have begun to accept I will be looking at possibly a 3L head swap ($$) and phoning Aus for parts. For the record:

720 kms from 70L of diesel day 1 up Fraser Canyon!!! not bad!
elec diff lock in rear only
very nice inside / upholstery
very roomy, dash setup identical to the other BJ7 etc
no susp seats
good power - similar to 13BT (w/auto)- we had a few 100 lbs of ARB springs in the back of the truck also (it is an automatic )
very nice finishing on the rear quarters (inner fender well meets outer) is now (1989+?) sealed !!! YAY FINALLY TOYOTA

I hope to look back on this as blip on the radar and we drive this ting into the ground (90,000kms on the clock FYI) ....I had bought this for my wife/kids daily driver..OUCH! From what I have read so far those Surf owners etc who have done the 3L head swap have had no regreats. I havent had much time to get into it becasue I am swamped with other projects. I'll keep the board posted on findings....

Sorry for the downer report but the old saying is buyer beware I guess. Kind of makes me wonder if I should have stuck it out with the 3Bs 2H 13BT 12Ht etc.
I hope others bringing them in make out better.

now for some beer to cry my sorrows into...

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

johnny

2rivers said:
Hi Greg,

It is with sad heart I say that I report when the vehicle was drove up here the headgasket went. Awesome first day, second day disaster. So I will exchnage my :grinpimp: to an :crybaby: I have begun to accept I will be looking at possibly a 3L head swap ($$) and phoning Aus for parts. For the record:

I hope to look back on this as blip on the radar and we drive this ting into the ground (90,000kms on the clock FYI) ....I had bought this for my wife/kids daily driver..OUCH! From what I have read so far those Surf owners etc who have done the 3L head swap have had no regreats. I havent had much time to get into it becasue I am swamped with other projects. I'll keep the board posted on findings....

johnny

Sorry to hear abuot the head gasket! I have heard similar stories from a number of fronts now...

Once fixed...supposed to be all is well!!

Yes, please keep the board posted. I do think these are a very viable run about once that one issue is looked after.

gb

Last edited:
2rivers said:
Hi Greg,

720 kms from 70L of diesel day 1 up Fraser Canyon!!! not bad!
elec diff lock in rear only
very nice inside / upholstery
very roomy, dash setup identical to the other BJ7 etc
no susp seats
good power - similar to 13BT (w/auto)- we had a few 100 lbs of ARB springs in the back of the truck also (it is an automatic )
very nice finishing on the rear quarters (inner fender well meets outer) is now (1989+?) sealed !!! YAY FINALLY TOYOTA

Sorry for the downer report but the old saying is buyer beware I guess. Kind of makes me wonder if I should have stuck it out with the 3Bs 2H 13BT 12Ht etc.
I hope others bringing them in make out better.

now for some beer to cry my sorrows into...

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

johnny

Well John that really sucks on new car day.:mad:

I thought this might be a starting point if your looking to oz,dunno anything about them but they are cheap:D
http://www.japparts.com.au/products/3LHead/

If you havent seen it already...
http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1927

update

Head cracked its official. Badly I might add... all 4 cylinders between the valves! Never seen that before. Difficult to say right now other issues - wonderng now about bottom end and rings. Cylinder walls dont look too bad and might shine up nicely. Making up my parts list from Aus this weekend. ouchy...keep you informed. I wonder how others are making out - I know Outback had some issues with the surfs. sigh

2rivers said:
Head cracked its official. Badly I might add... all 4 cylinders between the valves! Never seen that before. Difficult to say right now other issues - wonderng now about bottom end and rings. Cylinder walls dont look too bad and might shine up nicely. Making up my parts list from Aus this weekend. ouchy...keep you informed. I wonder how others are making out - I know Outback had some issues with the surfs. sigh
i have seen dozens of 3Bs with cracks on all 4 cylinders between the valves. this is a common problem with 4 cylinder Toyota diesel engines. we have not had enough 13BTs here yet to make a claim either way.
now the person that you bought the truck from, what does he say about a warrenty?
cheers

Hi Wayne, Since I bought the truck from an auction house (one of the more reputable believe it or not) in Japan, who the previous owner/seller was doesnt make any difference. It was graded a 4B and bought for our DD grocery getter. So I dont have any recourse unfortunately. I dont fault anyone really ....I bought this truck fully aware of the head issues - it was a gamble and in this case I got burned. But even with $3K in repairs on this Prado, I still think this ride will be worth what I paid in the end.

This truck was supposed to ahve to service records, glovebox manual etc, but it seems they got stolen somewhere along the process along with the tool kit and winch controler :mad: b@stards I think this is getting to be a common problem so make sure valuable stuff that can be stolen get shipped separately. On that note Canada Customs is also now doing the CIFA inpsections and like you mentioned before if there is anytihng extra inside not declared on the Bill of Lading (like tires, spare parts) they will not only seize them, they slash them on the spot and CHARGE YOU the time to do it AND fine you for contraband! All the more case I feel for reputable importers who look after this stuff and deliver high qualitry used vehicles. Now that we have a good stockpile of trucks I look forward to enjoying what we have now for many years. Anyone considering a Surf or Prado though should ask to have a pressure test done on cooling system though if possible.. hindsight 20/20 :) Reading my first post I think I jinxed mysefl really.... I will share my parts findings on the list soon.

see you on the trail,
johnny

crushers said:
i have seen dozens of 3Bs with cracks on all 4 cylinders between the valves. this is a common problem with 4 cylinder Toyota diesel engines.cheers

And unlike the 2LT which can take head gasket as well, many 3B's will run for years this way unknown by anyone...right Wayne?

gb

2rivers said:
Hi Wayne, Since I bought the truck from an auction house (one of the more reputable believe it or not) in Japan, who the previous owner/seller was doesnt make any difference. It was graded a 4B and bought for our DD grocery getter. So I dont have any recourse unfortunately. I dont fault anyone really ....I bought this truck fully aware of the head issues - it was a gamble and in this case I got burned. But even with $3K in repairs on this Prado, I still think this ride will be worth what I paid in the end. johnny

Yup, I would think it will be worth it too...

2rivers said:
This truck was supposed to ahve to service records, glovebox manual etc, but it seems they got stolen somewhere along the process along with the tool kit and winch controler :mad: b@stards I think this is getting to be a common problem so make sure valuable stuff that can be stolen get shipped separately. On that note Canada Customs is also now doing the CIFA inpsections and like you mentioned before if there is anytihng extra inside not declared on the Bill of Lading (like tires, spare parts) they will not only seize them, they slash them on the spot and CHARGE YOU the time to do it AND fine you for contraband! All the more case I feel for reputable importers who look after this stuff and deliver high qualitry used vehicles. Now that we have a good stockpile of trucks I look forward to enjoying what we have now for many years. Anyone considering a Surf or Prado though should ask to have a pressure test done on cooling system though if possible.. hindsight 20/20 :) Reading my first post I think I jinxed mysefl really.... I will share my parts findings on the list soon.johnny

I have heard more and more stories like this. Make sure all the small stuff you want is shipped seperately. With the bif items inside: CFIA is simply clamping down...those rules have been around for a while.

Enjoy your trucks!

gb

Greg_B said:
And unlike the 2LT which can take head gasket as well, many 3B's will run for years this way unknown by anyone...right Wayne?

gb
that is correct, you can run the 3B for years with cracks, as time goes by and more and more 13BTs and 2LTs make their way here then i will be able to tell if this is the case with the 2LT or not.

do a compression test as well as a coolant test as soon as one of these trucks arrive... this is a good test of the internals of the head and combustion chambers...
cheers

crushers said:
that is correct, you can run the 3B for years with cracks, as time goes by and more and more 13BTs and 2LTs make their way here then i will be able to tell if this is the case with the 2LT or not.

Yup. The learning curve is going to continue in Canada for years yet. Look to experiences in Europe and Oz for guideance, and filter that with the real world data that is going to appear in Canada.

crushers said:
do a compression test as well as a coolant test as soon as one of these trucks arrive... this is a good test of the internals of the head and combustion chambers...cheers

Yup...and a really good hard run. It seems sometimes issues don't appear till they are run and stressed a bit.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom