Landcruiser Prados (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers said:
i have seen dozens of 3Bs with cracks on all 4 cylinders between the valves. this is a common problem with 4 cylinder Toyota diesel engines. we have not had enough 13BTs here yet to make a claim either way.
now the person that you bought the truck from, what does he say about a warrenty?
cheers

Crushers,

I'm pretty interested in aquiring one of these deisel Prados. Would you mind telling me what causes these cracks ? Likewise, are there any signs to look for without driving the car ?

Frankly, for my purposes, the size of the Prado would be pretty near perfect and I do like the looks of it.

Kalawang

Hey 2rivers,

Where are U going to get your new head? I know of a few brand new head for a 3L (not in the US) email me and we can talk... (bj40man@yahoo.com) This might be a good solution for U.

regards

just to let you boys know i have a 2LT head here with 0 cracks, complete with turbo and intake manifold...
cheers

Kalawang said:
Crushers,

I'm pretty interested in aquiring one of these deisel Prados. Would you mind telling me what causes these cracks ? Likewise, are there any signs to look for without driving the car ?

Frankly, for my purposes, the size of the Prado would be pretty near perfect and I do like the looks of it.

Kalawang
i will be guessing since we have not had the 71s here long. over heating would be my guess. run the factory guage as well as an after market and a pyro to keep an eye on things.
from what i have heard those that have the problems are the ones pushing the tow rating and /or pushing the engines when climbing long grades...

but at this time this is guess work and hearsay...
cheers

Kalawang said:
I'm pretty interested in aquiring one of these deisel Prados. Would you mind telling me what causes these cracks ? Likewise, are there any signs to look for without driving the car ?Kalawang

Surf, search and ask your questions at these two forums as well, as they deal much more with the 2L/2L-T and 3L:

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/index.php?
http://www.toyotadieselmadness.com/

Kalawang said:
Frankly, for my purposes, the size of the Prado would be pretty near perfect and I do like the looks of it. Kalawang

They are interesting, as are the 4 door Hilux...

gb

Greg_B,

Thanks for the links. The Surf used to interest me but I was turned away when I saw the engine compartment of the deisel version. A genuine full house. Any work needed there would require the removal of a lot of parts just to get to the needed work. At the time I was shopping I wasn't willing to even begin to consider a gas engine, so I have no idea of the working space in those versions.

Crushers,

Thanks for the tip about overheating. Whereas I would agree that repeated overheating can eventually cause cracks, The numbers involved in your experience ( dozens ) would indicate that many bad owners, or that there is a built in ( design defect ) problem with the cooling system. It's rather disappointing to learn that Toyota can produce cars that don't wear well.

Kalawang

a couple of the guys on this list ran a pyro before tuboing and were shocked by the temps produced on a NA 3B which could be part of the problem and yes i have seen some very poor drivers that abuse the little 3B merciously...
cheers

Kalawang said:
Thanks for the links. The Surf used to interest me but I was turned away when I saw the engine compartment of the deisel version. Kalawang

I figured the engine information contained on those sites would stand you in good stead, as they have the same engine that the Prado has you are interested in...

Kalawang said:
Thanks for the tip about overheating. Whereas I would agree that repeated overheating can eventually cause cracks, The numbers involved in your experience ( dozens ) would indicate that many bad owners, or that there is a built in ( design defect ) problem with the cooling system. It's rather disappointing to learn that Toyota can produce cars that don't wear well.Kalawang

I think it is a lot of hubalaboo about very little. Think of all the 3B's in Dyna's, Coasters, and LandCruisers around the world. Mainly, all you hear about is how long they go, how much abuse they take, and how trusty they are. Sure, like anything there are times when things happen prematurely...but it is not the norm you hear about the 3B in chatter around the world.

The 3B as a rule seems to wear very well, thank you.

Again...I will say I do not think you can compare the 2LT to the 3B.

gb

crushers said:
a couple of the guys on this list ran a pyro before tuboing and were shocked by the temps produced on a NA 3B which could be part of the problem and yes i have seen some very poor drivers that abuse the little 3B merciously...cheers

Which to my mind speak volumns about the toughness of the 3B...Run the same pyro temps on the 2LT and see what happens? I've no idea...be interesting to sacrifice a few and see...no?

gb

i have been running pyros on the 2LTs for a few months now and a couple of the engines were running quite hot in stock setup. once i ran a larger exhaust the EGTs dropped significantly.
that old red bush truck LJ71 has been peaking at 20 lbs of boost and is extremely over fueled but the egts doesn't seem to go over 1100F, mind you i keep the boost down for long pulls.
we will see how long the engine holds together and if i have a reason to i will pull the head and check it out.

cheers
Wayne

Greg_B,

It isn't the engine in itself that turned me away from the deisel Surf. Fact is, I know zilch about engines. I turned away from it because the engine compartment was so crowded that you could barely slip a hand in. I've had that experience with an old Geminii and in the end my mechanic found it easier to pull the whole engine out just to do maintenance work. He really didn't like seeing me drive into his shop.

It's possible the Prado, being a slightly larger vehicle, would provide more working room for it's engine.

Kalawang

Kalawang said:
Greg_B,

It isn't the engine in itself that turned me away from the deisel Surf. Fact is, I know zilch about engines. I turned away from it because the engine compartment was so crowded that you could barely slip a hand in. I've had that experience with an old Geminii and in the end my mechanic found it easier to pull the whole engine out just to do maintenance work. He really didn't like seeing me drive into his shop.

It's possible the Prado, being a slightly larger vehicle, would provide more working room for it's engine.

Kalawang
Ive also heard that the cramped engine bay in a Surf is partly to blame for that models bad head gasket record.
The engine bay being so cramped inhibits the ventilation through the radiator making it more likely to overheat

Of course

roscoFJ73 said:
Ive also heard that the cramped engine bay in a Surf is partly to blame for that models bad head gasket record.
The engine bay being so cramped inhibits the ventilation through the radiator making it more likely to overheat Of course

What are you hearing in Oz about the older Prados with the L series of then then?

Thanks!

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom