Landcruiser Machanic in Iowa? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m NOT taking my fj40 to an “ordinary” Machanic.... been there done that.... I need someone who knows their way around an fj40. I live in eastern Iowa.....

Electrical issues. I did a complete restoration and put a wire harness out of a 1973 into my 1971. The crazy thing, I’m having the same electrical issues !! At the moment, I have no spark or weak spark well turning the engine over. It wants to fire as I let off the ignition switch (which is new.)

If it wants to fire when you let off the ignition it could be that you need a new ignition . I had the same issue with mine .New ignition .No more problems . It's an easy fix.

Will it run or have you had it running since you have it all together?

Yes I had it running for a time. What happened is this. I had some holes in my gas tank after I sandblasted it, so I had them welded shut. the tank sat empty for several months, then when I finally was ready to install it, I rinsed it out with gas, then oil, then put gas in it to run the engine. It ran like a dream for a while, eventually it stopped running because the fuel filter was completely clogged with rust. I replaced The fuel filter and haven’t been able to get it running or even firing. Not even with ether.

Maybe I’ll try cleaning the points again before I give up. The truck has been sitting in my shop, I occasionally turn the furnace on so it goes from completely cold to warm and then cold again. Maybe condensation has rusted the points....

Are you getting fuel in your carb bowl?

That would be my first place to start based on what I just read.

Then on to the spark.

Has the distributor been pulled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom