land cruiser crash safety? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slam on the brakes. It'll snug up rather quickly.
There's a motor in the seatbelt assembly that tightens up the belt upon hard braking or an impact. It'll pull you into the seat with some decent force.

Yep. This function is pretty amazing. If I have to really hit the brakes, the seatbelt tightener definitely gets comments from passengers. It’s a genius idea and super quick/effective.

Also important:
-Slide the shoulder-belt height adjuster down to your shoulder level. This will mean far less slop and thrashing about especially in a rollover bc it limits how far up your shoulders can stretch toward the roof and sides. It’s easy to forget to adjust these because they aren’t in your natural field of view.

Last edited:
Not a damn thing.

Many of the things that we do, like lifting, make the LC less safe by making it easier to rollover.

Crash safety requires sophisticated engineering, modeling, simulation, and testing. That type of work is beyond what the aftermarket can do.

Make sure everyone in the vehicle is belted in. Secure any loose cargo in the back. Drive defensively.

This ^^

I think the biggest risk with our trucks is the risk of rollover. Quicks swerves to avoid obstacles would be the scariest. I have always secured cargo in the back - on road trips all luggage is strapped down with ratchet straps.

Slam on the brakes. It'll snug up rather quickly.
There's a motor in the seatbelt assembly that tightens up the belt upon hard braking or an impact. It'll pull you into the seat with some decent force.

Seriously. If anybody hasn't experienced this yet, give it a try in an empty parking lot. They really do yank you back into the seat.

Honestly, all aftermarket steel bumpers actually INCREASE impact force to passengers. Cars are designed to have "crumble" zone to absorb impact force. Just look at above youtube video for crash test, pay attention to what happen from the front bumper to firewall where it all got destroyed in the process, the windshield remained intact.

Honestly, all aftermarket steel bumpers actually INCREASE impact force to passengers. Cars are designed to have "crumble" zone to absorb impact force. Just look at above youtube video for crash test, pay attention to what happen from the front bumper to firewall where it all got destroyed in the process, the windshield remained intact.

That can certainly be true. But if cabin intrusion is what you're trying to avoid in the rear upon MAJOR impacts, they will help.

It got destroyed in a full front impact with a solid wall but in a situation with another car there is energy transfer. I think the steel bumper does protect in those type of accidents when the vehicles are comparable in size and speed.

I ended up selling my ARB bumper without putting it on as I like to drive ~100mph in my LC on the highway.

Guys that buy steel bumpers don’t want to hear the truth about force transfer;). If it doesn’t kill you it makes you walk

Isn’t that called whiplash?

If that's the only reason you get whiplash, then it's not a "MAJOR" impact. ;)

I'm talking getting slammed at a stop like the OP mentions...where intrusion means death.

Think we need a structural engineer for that analysis

Ya, no doubt. :)

I'm thinking on a rear impact, you really don't want a lot of crumpling--instead, you rely on the front crumple structure of the other vehicle.

Last edited:
But steel bumpers are cool and great for rock crawling and off roading. $$$ saving

Both my front and rear bumpers have easily payed for themselves at least twice already due to specific, major damage prevention after only a few months post-install.

-Deer strike my TJM T13 save the front...
-Side body panels on Hell's Gate with rear Slee side wings that didn't budge.

I think it varies. I am sure in some situations it adds protection and in others it does not. My gripe is that it affects handling and maneuvering. Also the ARB bumper is pretty ugly. I do feel less safe driving without one.

I think it varies. I am sure in some situations it adds protection and in others it does not. My gripe is that it affects handling and maneuvering. Also the ARB bumper is pretty ugly. I do feel less safe driving without one.

You feel less safe...but you drive 100mph. :) hehe

In my tweens I rode motorcycles and my riding philosophy was not to stand still in traffic. I felt like I was a target for soccer moms and would usually drive faster than everyone else to avoid getting hit from the back. I saw someone get hit from the rear once and it left me scarred.

100 mph on open road is not a big deal in the LC. After putting on my Icons my Bruiser's sweet spot is 80 mph.

In my tweens I rode motorcycles and my riding philosophy was not to stand still in traffic. I felt like I was a target for soccer moms and would usually drive faster than everyone else to avoid getting hit from the back. I saw someone get hit from the rear once and it left me scarred.

100 mph on open road is not a big deal in the LC. After putting on my Icons my Bruiser's sweet spot is 80 mph.

Ya, my Record in my little WRX was 154 miles an hour… So no speed or judgmental comments from this driver! Ha ha

It got destroyed in a full front impact with a solid wall but in a situation with another car there is energy transfer.

What energy transfer are you referring to? Hitting another stationary car or someone hitting you while still is basically the same as running into a wall (at least for the initial impact). You'd have to adjust your hypothetical speed-into-the-wall for the mass/velocity of the other vehicle, of course.

I'm thinking on a rear impact, you really don't want a lot of crumpling--instead, you rely on the front crumple structure of the other vehicle.

ANY crumpling is absorbing energy that would otherwise get transferred to the passengers who tend to be strapped in to the center of the vehicle.

As someone else mentioned, excessive passenger compartment intrusion is when crumpling is a bad thing.. as long as it happens in a progressive manner starting further away from, then toward, the passenger, and stops short of the passenger, that is absorbed kinetic energy and the passengers in BOTH vehicles will be subjected to less force.

My gripe is that it affects handling and maneuvering. Also the ARB bumper is pretty ugly.

Agreed on both points.

Reactions: HGB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom