KZJ71 Front Mount Intercooler (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been reading through the forums to try and find an intercooler core size that will fit behind the grill on the KZJ71/78. What have others gone with? I'd like to keep the AC. I assume I'll have to cut a couple of holes in the body behind the grill? Also, I've seen folks go with 2" pipe from the turbo to the intercooler and 2.5" from the intercooler to the intake.

Have a look at this one. This fellow is still on these forums, so you could ask him some questions. KZJ78 front mount - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/kzj78-front-mount.1115568/

A lot of people oversize intercooler pipe IMHO. 2" is good to 200hp. So 2" should be fine for a 1KZTE. The advantage is it's much easier to route.

The front my my LJ78 is the same as your KZJ71. My intercooler is 27"x7"x2" if I remember correct (albeit water/air style). It fits well, but I did have to remove one grill brace. No issues in the last 8 years since I did it. Bigger the better. My A/C is still intact.

SAM_0083.JPG

Last edited:
@epaul , you will want an FMIC between 22” - 24” wide by 7“ high. Anything wider will make your life and fabrication more difficult and anything higher will start blocking airflow to the rad. That size FMIC will fit exactly behind the front core.

Also consider, you may have to modify or move throttle linkage and battery, depending on how good you are at making bends in 2” aluminum tube.

I have some picks if interested on my build. Different engines but same concept.

@epaul , you will want an FMIC between 22” - 24” wide by 7“ high. Anything wider will make your life and fabrication more difficult and anything higher will start blocking airflow to the rad. That size FMIC will fit exactly behind the front core.

Also consider, you may have to modify or move throttle linkage and battery, depending on how good you are at making bends in 2” aluminum tube.

I have some picks if interested on my build. Different engines but same concept.
Do you mean 24" total from flange to flange?

Yep! And the inter cooler will probably have 2.5” inlet and outlet, but use 2” tube, and find 90 degree elbows 2” to 2.5” to hook everything up.

I can't give you a size. This one was suitable for the space and leaving parts of the radiator open for air flow.

I would suggest you measure the space you feel comfortable installing into and find an intercooler to suite.

@epaul, 22-24” wide X 7” high.
Long enough so Inlet/Outlet can clear your radiator , any thing wider gonna start interfering with battery and air filter locations. Measure how wide your radiator is and factor in the size of your 90 degree silicone elbows. Notice how little you have to notch the front core in the one foto below. You can adjust the height/ where you want the FMIC to hang with top and bottom mounting locations.

10799D90-1304-4AD9-97D5-DEA1923DE51E.jpeg

F9827344-2EE9-4BD0-8755-DE13C2A4A02B.png

3AACDEF5-0F93-45C4-871E-FE01D906124A.png

8346C49C-5E1C-4AD8-9708-CDD6EC4CB1AF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom