krusty 80 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great build @enox ! I just got the 4x4 labs rear bumper kit - did you do the welding and install yourself? Looking for help here / a fabricator or shop in LA, I'm based in Culver City. Would appreciate the advice.

Nice! I had them (4x4 labs) build & install it. When it was ready I drove up there/ they installed it, then went to Tahoe. So kinda made a trip out of it...

So now you have the kit and need someone to weld it up and install it?

Nice! I had them (4x4 labs) build & install it. When it was ready I drove up there/ they installed it, then went to Tahoe. So kinda made a trip out of it...

So now you have the kit and need someone to weld it up and install it?
yeah exactly. probably should have done the "fully built" solution but here we are! Was working with a group down in SD on a buy+install, but it's my daily driver so can't really leave it down there for an extended period of time. so now looking for a fabricator + shop that can do install.

(deleted)

Last edited:
While the seats were getting re-upholsered I lined the floors/ doors and quarter panels with sound deadening/ thermal barrier.

It significantly reduced outside noise and also keeps the center console from getting as hot.

View attachment 2564934

View attachment 2564938

View attachment 2564939
Wow! I'm glad I found your build thread. Thanks for the write up - you've done quite a bit of what I'm looking to do with my '95. I'm also in the LA area - who did the sound deadening work? Also, could you let me know who did the reupholster work? I'm thinking about redoing the front seats with Scheel-Manns or Recaros but the current wait time is 12-16 weeks which might not be too bad since I'm going to re-paint her. If you get a moment and let us know who did the different installations (assuming you would recommend them), I would greatly appreciate it!

Wow! I'm glad I found your build thread. Thanks for the write up - you've done quite a bit of what I'm looking to do with my '95. I'm also in the LA area - who did the sound deadening work? Also, could you let me know who did the reupholster work? I'm thinking about redoing the front seats with Scheel-Manns or Recaros but the current wait time is 12-16 weeks which might not be too bad since I'm going to re-paint her. If you get a moment and let us know who did the different installations (assuming you would recommend them), I would greatly appreciate it!
I did the sound deadening myself (when the seats were out getting re-done) My friend in San Diego did the seats and I can send you his number if you'd like. Happy to help and answer any questions. we can take it off the build thread and move to a conversation.

Service Record;

251k mi
Oil + Filter Change, Toyota filter w/ Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck Full Synthetic 5w-40
T-Case + Diff Oil Change - Valvoline Full Synthetic - 75w-140
Transmission Fluid Flush
Re-work brake lines at proportioning valve and bleed all 4 corners.
Blow out air filter with compressed air
Swap new Toyota ignition coil in.
Drain and refill blue hub fan clutch - net approx 20k-25k weight (somewhere in there, had to mix (2) oils.
Greased rear DS - Installed new front DS from Tom Woods.\
4.88 gearing and rear locker installed
New wind deflectors

Sent gearbox out to Red Head for rebuild - - awaiting for its return

Swapped in rebuilt gearbox from RedHead.

Made steering feel responsive and turns the 35"s with ease.

PXL_20210712_190300979.jpg

Replaced the Denso radiator with TYC 1918 and swapped in OEM thermostat.

Note the channel difference between the (2) radiators, the TYC Is running cooler.

PXL_20210712_182409393.jpg

PXL_20210712_182446623.jpg

Replaced the green 50/50 mix with Toyota Red.

Added the LCP aux fan kit, along with the yodateq gull wings

View attachment 2730925

View attachment 2730926

View attachment 2730927
I'm looking at replacing my radiator...I've only got 140K miles but it is 26 years of age. Since I'm redoing all my hoses and I had some cooling issues driving back from Vegas, I was thinking this is a good time to replace it. Might be a good time to add the aux fan as well. Did you add yours to help the AC or just to keep everything running cooler under load? My AC hasn't been tip top for a while. I had it serviced and it's running cooler, but was thinking a new radiator might help and the aux fan even more.

I'm looking at replacing my radiator...I've only got 140K miles but it is 26 years of age. Since I'm redoing all my hoses and I had some cooling issues driving back from Vegas, I was thinking this is a good time to replace it. Might be a good time to add the aux fan as well. Did you add yours to help the AC or just to keep everything running cooler under load? My AC hasn't been tip top for a while. I had it serviced and it's running cooler, but was thinking a new radiator might help and the aux fan even more.
This fan will not help at speed, Low speed rock crawling or stopped in traffic. I'm running the same one.

This fan will not help at speed, Low speed rock crawling or stopped in traffic. I'm running the same one.
When does it help? Just with the engine off?

When does it help? Just with the engine off?
when you going 5MPH or slower, Like sitting in stop and go traffic or low speed rock crawling it helps keep the AC colder. I do have mine wired so I can run it with engine off to help with heat soak.

Did you add yours to help the AC or just to keep everything running cooler under load? My AC hasn't been tip top for a while.
Not to help with engine cooling. Engine cooling system in order with radiator, hoses, fluid, t-stat, fan clutch modified, insulation around shroud...etc.

Your AC should be in good working order before adding the AUX fan. AUX fan helps with low speed crawling mainly.

I do have mine wired so I can run it with engine off to help with heat soak.
I did the same - I will leave the fan on when I run into a store or even on the trail and stop for lunch for 30 min - helps when I get back in and turn the ignition back on - the AC starts out colder than it did w/o the fan.

- - Its important to get your system (engine temps & AC vent temp) working as intended FIRST, i.e. normal driving and even off road. You want to make sure you don't have another issue. The AUX fan wont help engine temps either. - then add the AUX fan to help keep it cooler when crawling or if you frequent areas that are scorching hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom