Koyo wheel bearing part number/source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gotta redo wheel bearings on one side, 92 FJ80. Rock auto only has Timken, no Koyo. Trying to track down the Koyo part number (and ideas for a source? Cruiser outfitters is out of stock. Only Timken.)

What do you have against Timken?

Have you called @cruiseroutfit? I just got a full rebuild kit last week.

Not yet. Website shows out of stock for the Koyo kit, Timken in stock.

What do you have against Timken?

Nothing in particular except the other side has Koyos in it already.

Okay well maybe. Common sentiment is they’re Chinese made? Can’t find anything definitive, mostly because I don’t know the part number nor how to find that out even if I did.

I certainly can’t argue with your personal experience, but there are a LOT of people claiming they’re Chinese. Or “other countries.”

“Timken wheel bearings are made in the USA, Mexico, and a number of other countries. The bearings are all made to the same high worldwide standard which Timken is well known for.”

I have no idea. I just need wheel bearings and an oil seal. Can’t find a source with stock with those parts either Japanese or US made.

Gotta redo wheel bearings on one side, 92 FJ80. Rock auto only has Timken, no Koyo. Trying to track down the Koyo part number (and ideas for a source? Cruiser outfitters is out of stock. Only Timken.)

We definitely have the Koyo in stock! We'll get CruiserTeq tomorrow!

We definitely have the Koyo in stock! We'll get CruiserTeq tomorrow!
Works for me. I’ll just call in the morning and get a kit on the way. Far easier than tracking down numbers and piecing stuff out.

If I were smarter, (life wouldn’t be so hard) and I would have known I needed these in my last order that showed up Thursday. But, here we are.

Works for me. I’ll just call in the morning and get a kit on the way. Far easier than tracking down numbers and piecing stuff out.

If I were smarter, (life wouldn’t be so hard) and I would have known I needed these in my last order that showed up Thursday. But, here we are.
Every bearing distributor in the country can ship these bearings next day. You can buy the cups and cones as as set, or individually; that's important to know, because some distributors list them one way, and some the other. Though you "should" replace them as a set, many industrial users don't, and that's why some distributors list the parts separately.

They are common wheel bearings. And the Timken wheel bearings are made in the USA. Not all Timken, any anyone else's bearings, for that matter are made here, but these are. If memory serves, they are made in the South Carolina plant, or they were, the last time I was there.

They are good folks at Cruiser Outfitters! Where are you in FL?

For sure.

Panhandle, Ft Walton Beach area.

@Malleus Thanks for the info. Good to know about the Timkens, at least the ones I’d be using anyway. My issue is always finding which ones (part number.) I have definitely noticed it varies on whether they come complete with races or not. Seems odd for wheel bearings, but what do I know.

Bearings are all re-loaded on CruiserTeq.com, all available to ship today. We run our inventory a bit more conservative than some. Rather than list 100% of our in-stock inventory, we save a good deal for 'safety stock' to cover large wholesale orders and phone orders that won't immediately reflect on the CruiserTeq.com site. As time goes on we are refining that inventory listing but we'd rather keep it under our actual count vs sell stuff we can't honestly ship for months.

Long story short, we have 200+ axles worth of Koyo wheel bearings in stock for the 4x/5x/6x/7x/8x axles alone

:cool:

EDIT: Looks like we indeed got wiped out on a massive wholesale order for bearings. We'll have more Timkens coming Wednesday and Koyo inner bearings only are back-ordered and a few weeks out. We can put a couple orders together, call to order as they lowered the inventory on CT.com

For sure.

Panhandle, Ft Walton Beach area.

@Malleus Thanks for the info. Good to know about the Timkens, at least the ones I’d be using anyway. My issue is always finding which ones (part number.) I have definitely noticed it varies on whether they come complete with races or not. Seems odd for wheel bearings, but what do I know.
It's not just wheel bearings, all bearings are listed that way. And, FWIW, the bearing doesn't know where it goes, and the bearing distributor doesn't care.

The wheel bearings Toyota used on the 80 series were developed by Timken especially for that general automotive application. It's used in a lot of vehicles, in various sizes.

Timken TS (1).png

I use ppg 154-155 from the Timken engineering manual when I change out wheel bearings, just to make sure the spindles and hubs aren't out of spec. Generally it shouldn't be a problem with the spindles, since the bearings are slip fit there, but the housings can be damaged (even by someone who knows what they're doing) when the cones are driven out or pressed in, so it's good to check, if for no other reason than piece of mind.

Attachments

• Page (154-155) from Timken Fit manual (Engineering and Lubrication Manual, 10424)-9.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Page (182-183) from Timken-Tapered-Roller-Bearing-Catalog-2.pdf
    54.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Bearings are all re-loaded on CruiserTeq.com, all available to ship today. We run our inventory a bit more conservative than some. Rather than list 100% of our in-stock inventory, we save a good deal for 'safety stock' to cover large wholesale orders and phone orders that won't immediately reflect on the CruiserTeq.com site. As time goes on we are refining that inventory listing but we'd rather keep it under our actual count vs sell stuff we can't honestly ship for months.

Long story short, we have 200+ axles worth of Koyo wheel bearings in stock for the 4x/5x/6x/7x/8x axles alone

:cool:

EDIT: Looks like we indeed got wiped out on a massive wholesale order for bearings. We'll have more Timkens coming Wednesday and Koyo inner bearings only are back-ordered and a few weeks out. We can put a couple orders together, call to order as they lowered the inventory on CT.com

No worries at all. I called this morning and got the skinny, got a kit ordered and some replacement/backup cone washers. All good and order is in!

It's not just wheel bearings, all bearings are listed that way. And, FWIW, the bearing doesn't know where it goes, and the bearing distributor doesn't care.

The wheel bearings Toyota used on the 80 series were developed by Timken especially for that general automotive application. It's used in a lot of vehicles, in various sizes.

View attachment 3137091

I use ppg 154-155 from the Timken engineering manual when I change out wheel bearings, just to make sure the spindles and hubs aren't out of spec. Generally it shouldn't be a problem with the spindles, since the bearings are slip fit there, but the housings can be damaged (even by someone who knows what they're doing) when the cones are driven out or pressed in, so it's good to check, if for no other reason than piece of mind.
Wow, thanks again. All good info, and the charts are great. I hope those are in a FAQ somewhere on here.

I was definitely unaware on the 80 series development. Very cool.

Wow, thanks again. All good info, and the charts are great. I hope those are in a FAQ somewhere on here.

I was definitely unaware on the 80 series development. Very cool.
I'll put them in the Resources section, when I get a chance. One of the moderators would have to put it in the FAQ section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom