Knuckle Rebuild Video Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OTRAMM

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.otramm.com
Started shooting a knuckle rebuild video series today. Got the first video of the tear down done. As soon as @CRASHTH gets all the parts cleaned up I'll shoot the second video on using the knuckle centering tool. And then we'll do a third video on reassembly.

Please be better than the crappy one the Duiser clowns made. :)
I'm not promising anything, my video skills are pretty bad :) I figured I can do knuckles in my sleep so they'd be decent fodder for trying videos. I haven't seen the Duiser ones.

I'm not promising anything, my video skills are pretty bad :) I figured I can do knuckles in my sleep so they'd be decent fodder for trying videos. I haven't seen the Duiser ones.
you did great brother, the duiser one got me thru my birfs so I cant complain.

Question. On my 79 FJ40, I couldn't remember if there were snap rings on my warn hubs when reinstalling. It did have a bolt and washer into the axle end. Does that bolt hold the hub internals in place instead of the snap ring?

Thanks, I order new snap rings and could not get them on. I was really worried I screwed them up. Great series. I will be using it for timing, electrical, etc.

Finally got the reassembly video to upload. I think I may have been pushing what rural broadband wanted to handle.

Thanks for this vid. I also just watched the centering tool video. Very helpful.

Question: My FJ40 manual says to check for preload with the scale after assembling and torquing the upper arm and lower bearing cap in order to check for the same torque present when using the centering tool. Any reason to not do that?

I just went through the motions with the tool, my first time, and upon assembly it was several pounds less than I'd aimed for. So, I just took it apart and will retry tomorrow.

Checking with the scale is always a good idea. I must have left that step out of the video. I've done so many I've got a pretty good feel for the drag they should have so I rarely get the scale out.

Well, just did mine again and same result - not enough preload. Not sure why I spent good money on this tool if there's so much voodoo involved. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And no, this is a new build up, I don't know what order the shims were in originally.

It's always fun when you don't have a shim pack to compare to. The centering tool will usually get you in the ball park though. It doesn't take much shim thickness change to alter the preload. If you've got one side with a shim stack that's thicker than the other I'd try taking a bit out of the thick side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom