Knuckle Rebuild Video Series

Ryan ... thank you for these videos!! You will see my truck(s) soon enough for gearing and suspension install.

Have a couple of questions regarding 80 Series knuckle rebuilds:

1. It appears there is not a knuckle centering tools for the 80? Is this correct?

2. Let's assume the PO was in the knuckles, since he jacked up every other repair he tried. Is there any way to be sure if the shims are correct?

OTRAMM

Supporting Vendor

Ryan ... thank you for these videos!! You will see my truck(s) soon enough for gearing and suspension install.

Have a couple of questions regarding 80 Series knuckle rebuilds:

1. It appears there is not a knuckle centering tools for the 80? Is this correct?

2. Let's assume the PO was in the knuckles, since he jacked up every other repair he tried. Is there any way to be sure if the shims are correct?

On the 80 series there isn't a shim on the steering arm side. Only the cap side. So there isn't an adjustment for centering. You just set the preload with the cap shim. You can check the preload with a fish scale. Most of the time we don't even take the cap side or shim off. You can pull the bearing from the inside with the cap still on once you take the knuckle off.

Vulcan

SILVER Star

Got the second video with the knuckle centering tool done today. I may reshoot it in the future since i'm still trying to kick the flu today.
Dumb question but what is the part # on that chassis grease / where do you get it? That tin is awesome

I just watched one of your 80 series knuckle videos. I'd like to tackle my own as it seems like a land Cruiser badge of honor, but after I go out and spend another 1k on tools seen your videos, that diy cost savings is gone. Sigh.

OTRAMM

Supporting Vendor

I just watched one of your 80 series knuckle videos. I'd like to tackle my own as it seems like a land Cruiser badge of honor, but after I go out and spend another 1k on tools seen your videos, that diy cost savings is gone. Sigh.
The only real special tools you need are the 54mm socket, a brass drift, and a torque wrench. Everything else can be done with regular hand tools.

I guess... If anyone is curious, the nice Snap-on torque wrench similar to the one in the video is running $500-550. The only tool that really makes sense to me is the race/seal drivers. I can't think of any analogue to that that I currently own. I have the Wits-end modified 54mm socket.
If I do mine, I will rent space at a garage we have semi-local to me out here, so I'm really trying not to fall into a while I'm in there scenario and end up paying a stupid amount for unintended overnight storage.
It seems like new rotors at the same time makes a lot of sense if needed.

OTRAMM

Supporting Vendor

But there's no reason you need the snap on torque wrench. A harbor Freight or the like will get you by just fine. I've got the Snap Ons because I do this for a living.

For sure. Just tool envy talking. I have 2 available in different torque ranges. Any thoughts on the Harbor Freight bearing and race driver set ( $40 without coupon) getting me through ok vs a name brand version (Lisle regular duty for $60-ish) I'm guessing it's all in the steel used, and the fineness of the machining.

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor

I remember the day when 40s were so cheap when you wore out the front end parts you just traded it for a new 40 :)

Top Bottom