Knuckle Kit and Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have August 1975 FJ40 with disk brakes. I tried to order parts from the dealer and they want me to take the knuckle a part as they are telling me I do not have disk brakes :mad: Well I have disk brakes. What company has the best, complete kits and knowledgable staff?
I am trying to avoid a long down time.
I realize this is an item that has been beaten to death, but here it is again.
I searched the LCML and Wardens, who is out of business was the top referal.

Try heart of Texas. Just heard they have the best deal

Cruiser Outfitters (search for their page) has a good price and good help as well. Both HOT and CO didn't have knuckle kits for drum braked axles in stock, so I bought SOR, very complete kit, not as cheap as the others, but not outrageous either.

heart of texas will have what you need. Owner is very knolwledgable and helpful. I think I paid $86 shipped to my door for the kit.

Toyota did not start equipping FJ40's with disc brakes until September 1975 which was the start of the 1976 model year.
Your discs most likely came from a donor vehicle. The catch is what year is it? One way to identify the knuckles is by the trunion bearing cap stud size. 76 to 12-78 use 11mm studs, Jan79 up use 12mm studs.

Dan.

Thanks. I guess I will be taking it apart to figure out what I Have.
Is there a way to run a vin number to figure out what came stock on a car?

My Revision reference codes show that the last frame to get drum brakes was FJ40-209231 and the first to get discs was FJ40-209232. The last drum brake 55 was F55-053906 and the first disc was FJ55-053907.

Dan.

Dan-
Based on those numbers mine came with Drums. I am FJ40-206428. NOw I have no Idea what I have. ???
Time to take it a part. Who knows what the previous owner did.
Thanks for the info.

pete's

No 1975 had factory disks...by chance do you have a MAF/ Willwood conversion? Common for drum brake trucks and would use a "drum knuckle OH kit". If you have Toyota brakes of any sort the standard issue "disk knuckle kit" will have shims for both 1976-1978 type and 1979-1990 type and the seals etc all interchange.

the differences between kits are:
hub seal
spindle seals inner and outer

If you just don't know, get a disk kit and order those parts above from local dealer when you tear it down (if you discover 6 spline birfields you have a willwood)

The OEM knuckle kits do not inter mix the trunion shims.

04434-60013 for Drum brake axle (11mm trunion studs)

04434-60014 for disc brake 76-dec78 (11mm trunion studs)

04434-60015 for disc brake jan79 up (12mm trunion studs)

All three use the same inner axle seal, 90311-33085 x 2 which is not included in the OEM knuckle kit.
D-

I should have time to tear it a part this week to figure out what I have. I have know Idea what the P.O. used. ???
Thanks for all the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom