Kings/Total Chaos Suspension installed on 2015 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wrxmodders.com
Hello everyone, I just wanted to share the progress that i've made over the first 6 months of ownership of my 2015 GX460. I sold my fully built 2012 FJ Cruiser to fund the GX460 because I was simply tired of not having enough room and not enough creature comforts. Here is how she currently sits on 32" Duratracs. Mods include the following:

- King 2.5" front coilovers with adjusters and 700lb springs
- King 2.5" rear shocks with adjusters
- Icon Overland rear springs
- Timbren bump stops front and back
- RCI rear shock skidplate
- Victory 4x4 Blitz sliders

GX1.jpg

GX3.jpg

GX4.jpg

gx5.jpg

GX3.jpg

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share the progress that i've made over the first 6 months of ownership of my 2015 GX460. I sold my fully built 2012 FJ Cruiser to fund the GX460 because I was simply tired of not having enough room and not enough creature comforts. Here is how she currently sits on 32" Duratracs. Mods include the following:

View attachment 2215549

View attachment 2215550

View attachment 2215551

View attachment 2215552

View attachment 2215548
That's looks perfect. How is ride quality relative to factory?

That's looks perfect. How is ride quality relative to factory?

It's a tad bit stiff at the moment due to the fact that I used 700lb springs. Once I start to load it down with additional weight (front and rear bumpers, winch, dual batteries, skidplates and an RTT) it will settle in.

Now that you have the suspension, it's time for the armor!
Looks great!

Now that you have the suspension, it's time for the armor!
Looks great!

Absolutely. Currently working on putting together a Coastal Offroad rear swingout bumper, and i'll be working with Jason Demello to develop a prototype front bumper.

Absolutely. Currently working on putting together a Coastal Offroad rear swingout bumper, and i'll be working with Jason Demello to develop a prototype front bumper.
If you can afford it and if he has the skill, see if he can do it in aluminum.
It'll be about half the weight, no rust and if you add a winch, use synthetic line you'll have a much lighter vehicle!

If you can afford it and if he has the skill, see if he can do it in aluminum.
It'll be about half the weight, no rust and if you add a winch, use synthetic line you'll have a much lighter vehicle!

I plan on getting this truck ready for the Rubicon. I will ONLY run steel bumpers on my rig based on the types of trails that I'm accustomed to taking them on.

With all due respect, if you plan on doing the Rubicon, you may need a little more suspension lift and larger tires than 32's on a GX.
I did the Holcomb trail rated at a 3 out of 5 here in our local mountains in SO CA and should not have had any problems. I have larger tires and more lift than your current build and I still came out with some minor damage.
Unless you've done it before (and recently), I hope you know what you'll be going through. Also, if you're review trail videos of Rubicon, be sure they are relatively recent, in the last year or two.
When I did Holcomb trail, my whole club said, "Piece of cake, your rig shouldn't have any issues!" Well, we had a heavy winter and the last time anyone in our club ran the trail was about 5 or 6 years ago. Last years rains completely changed the "Gate Keeper" entry of the trail having moved a bunch of huge boulders and a different attack line than was normal. Even experience Jeeps with 35" and 37" tires were having issues.
I'm just saying...
Good luck!!

With all due respect, if you plan on doing the Rubicon, you may need a little more suspension lift and larger tires than 32's on a GX.
I did the Holcomb trail rated at a 3 out of 5 here in our local mountains in SO CA and should not have had any problems. I have larger tires and more lift than your current build and I still came out with some minor damage.
Unless you've done it before (and recently), I hope you know what you'll be going through. Also, if you're review trail videos of Rubicon, be sure they are relatively recent, in the last year or two.
When I did Holcomb trail, my whole club said, "Piece of cake, your rig shouldn't have any issues!" Well, we had a heavy winter and the last time anyone in our club ran the trail was about 5 or 6 years ago. Last years rains completely changed the "Gate Keeper" entry of the trail having moved a bunch of huge boulders and a different attack line than was normal. Even experience Jeeps with 35" and 37" tires were having issues.
I'm just saying...
Good luck!!

The tires on this truck are temporary until I get bumpers, since they are the largest I could run without the additional clearance that bumpers will provide. Once the bumpers are on the truck is getting 35s, gears and harrop lockers. There’s no way in hell I would take a truck with 32s and open diffs on the rubicon.

Keep us posted when you do mount 35"s. I curious what all will need trimming and if any further lift beyond a 3" is needed.
I may go that route also after these wear out.

Last edited:
Keep us posted when you do mount 35"s. I curious what all will nee trimming and if any further lift beyond a 3" is needed.
I may go that route also after these wear out.

To clear 35s you need an aggressive BMC and fender trimming. Some people have also run a 1" body lift which i'm not entirely keen on.

On my previous IFS rig (2012 FJ Cruiser) I ran a BMC, upper control arms and17x9 wheels with a -12mm offset to clear 35s. I was very happy with that setup and these two trucks share the same underlying frame geometry (with the exception of KDSS).

Reactions: r2m
When I mounted 35's on my 100 series Landcruiser, I had the suspension lifted as much as can be done on those rigs and had to make my own 1.75" body lift since there were none of those available either.
Worked great for clearance, but started to get a lot of torque steer.
Also, I too am not keen on body lifts. I like keeping my CG as low as possible and only do suspension lifts. But that was the only way to get 35's on the LC.

View attachment 2215549

View attachment 2215550

View attachment 2215551

View attachment 2215552

View attachment 2215548
hey, just wondering how tall of a spring did you get for rear? 1.5" lift rear spring im guessing?

That's a rough trail for sure. I have been in both directions quite a few times (on my motorcycles) and there is always a broken rig on that trail on any given weekend. I commend you on navigating it in a GX without breaking a front axle.

Reactions: r2m
That's a rough trail for sure. I have been in both directions quite a few times (on my motorcycles) and there is always a broken rig on that trail on any given weekend. I commend you on navigating it in a GX without breaking a front axle.
The main problem I had which would should not have been an issue was that the last time anyone in my 4x4 club was on that trail was a couple years prior. Since that "prior" run, the gatekeeper had changed a lot and many of the boulders and rocks had moved making it a much more difficult crossing, even for the rock crawling Jeeps. I was pretty lucky I made it through as "cheaply" as I did with only my resonator pipe being crushed.
If you want some pic's, go to my build thread: Builds - R2M 2013 Lexus GX460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r2m-2013-lexus-gx460-overland-build.1104719/page-3
Starts on page 3, post #59.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom