kill switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I want to put a kill switch in my cruiser and I was wondering how to go about this. Like what wire do I connect to and such. Thanks a lot.

[quote author=red64toy link=board=1;threadid=7409;start=msg61856#msg61856 date=1068593885]
I want to put a kill switch in my cruiser and I was wondering how to go about this. Like what wire do I connect to and such. Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

+ coil wire(the little one not the big one) just splice into it, then run to switch.......hidden.

John H

"little one, not the big one"

Is this the one that runs to the starter?

Also, I was told in order to put a kill switch in correctly you need to put a switched relay in between the ignition and the coil. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Ryan

Along with the kill switch, you might think of putting in a fuel shut-off valve. I have one the lilne coming out of the tank before it drops down out the floor. Turned off, less than two blocks of fuel in carb. This is in a pre 79 40

Another option is to put a boat battery switch in a center locked console. I have both of my batteries hooked up to this switch and the switch is locked up in the tuffy center console. I also use a grant steering wheel security system where my steering wheel comes off and the column is "capped" with their steering cap. I also park it next to a tree and wrap a heavy guage cable to the tree and around the front axle. Paranoid you ask? Yes.

Noah

The painless wiring kit I put in has you run the coil wire to ignition through the fuse block. The advantage to this is I just pull the fuse when I leave the cruiser. I made sure to scratch out the label on the fuse block that says coil. I know someone can just put in another fuse but first they would have to figure out why the cruiser won't start then which spot to put the fuse in.

I've also got the boat switch. I switch the ground cable to the battery, that way if you ever want to weld on the rig, you never need to undo terminals, just switch off the power. Also when something goes wrong, like smoke from ammeter wire, I can kill all power from the battery quickly. The switch has a removable 'key', which I take out when parked in a 'suspect' area.

I thought maybe to put two side-by-side "stereo" jacks... labeled "HEADPHONES" in my accessory panel (where radio used to be). Who would think to look for the short jumper cable that plugs from one jack to the other to complete the circuit for ignition ?

One could also wire the stereo plugs/jacks tip-to-ring to further confuse the mongrel Cruisernapper.

I still like that trick of welding a heavy tab near the base of the shifter that aligns with another tab welded to floorboard and is drilled for a hefty padlock.

John Sherwood
Charlotte, NC, '79 FJ-40, TLCA, Upstate Cruisers

Warning... anyone trying the above stereo jack/plug trick would be advised to isolate the "sleeve" connection from the vehicle frame.... otherwise, if you plugged in to the hot side first, you would possibly let all the smoke out of the ignition wiring. :eek:

John

We get these here:

tsysj013.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom