Key weirdness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive me if this sort of thing has been discussed before. I did a search and found nothing, but I'm admittedly new to searching this forum, so definitely could have missed something.

'94 FZJ80 GXL, Aussie RHD import. I've had it for about 5 weeks. Came with two keys. One of those keys opens/unlocks the doors, but it will not work in the ignition. The other works in the ignition, but will not open the doors. There's resistance and it won't insert all the way, so definitely feels like a different key, although physical inspection shows the two keys to be VERY similar. Fair enough. Seemed a little odd for a '90s era vehicle (my '98 Accord had just one key), but I've had old '60 and '70s GMs and Fords in the past that had separate keys for door and ignition, so I chalked it up as maybe a JDM/Aussie oddity, but otherwise normal.

BTW, neither of these keys will open the back hatch lock. Power door locks unlock the back hatch, and both outside and inside latches work fine. The door key will insert into the hatch lock without resistance, but it will not turn even a little. Another problem for another day...

Today I was getting a TX State inspection (thank you, 1994: no emissions test required! $7 "safety" inspection, 5 mins later done and done...but I digress...). The inspection place was next door to a local lock and key shop, so decided to get a spare key made. I explained the two keys to the guy. He also thought it was a little odd, but didn't make a bid deal out of it. They did not have any official Toyota blanks, but he said that Kia blanks worked on older Toyotas, so he'd give that a try and not charge me if it didn't work. Seemed fair.

He started with the door key, and we went out to test it. Opened the doors just fine. On a whim he decided to also test it in the ignition. Fired right up! I showed him myself how the original two keys would only do one or the other.

So now I have a single key for both doors and ignition, but I'm baffled about the original keys. All I can think is that it must be related to just the age of the keys and locks, warn teeth or tumblers or both. Maybe the original key I have that only works in the ignition is like a valet key or something?

And if you're wondering, no, the new key does not unlock the back hatch from the outside. Same behavior (won't turn at all). So I'm thinking that's an unrelated issue. Could just need some lubrication. I'll try some dry lube later.

Anyone else experience this sort of key weirdness?

Sounds to me like your key's and/or locks are just worn out. Initially I was thinking someone before you swapped the ignition at some point, which would lead to having a separate key. But if the new key opens the door and starts the truck, then I think it points to having a worn out key.

I also have a '94 JDM FZJ80 and I've had no such issue nor have I read anything on Aussie forums about it.

Totally unrelated question, but does your cruise control limit you to only going 70mph? I know most guys on here don't drive their trucks past 65mph but mine will do 75mph with ease and it would be awesome to figure out how to get my cruise control to allow me to go faster lol.

Sounds to me like your key's and/or locks are just worn out. Initially I was thinking someone before you swapped the ignition at some point, which would lead to having a separate key. But if the new key opens the door and starts the truck, then I think it points to having a worn out key.

I also have a '94 JDM FZJ80 and I've had no such issue nor have I read anything on Aussie forums about it.

Totally unrelated question, but does your cruise control limit you to only going 70mph? I know most guys on here don't drive their trucks past 65mph but mine will do 75mph with ease and it would be awesome to figure out how to get my cruise control to allow me to go faster lol.
Alas, no cruise control, lol! GXL trim, so pretty bare bones. I will say she did 80 or so the whole drive from Nashville to Dallas (~700 miles) and purred like a kitten. Sore ankles the next day for sure.

Just worn out keys.

I've experienced this on my 80.

I was given one original "master" key. I keep that in a drawer and have blanks made from it.

My daily ignition key git to the point I could not turn the ignition, but it worked fine in the doors.

When I compared it to the master, it was the square corners on the edges where the tumblers start that controls the insertion and helps set key depth.

I had new keys made from my master and the problem went away.

I would say if you now have one that is new and clean and works in everything, keep that one in the drawer and make copies from it.

Just worn out keys.

I've experienced this on my 80.

I was given one original "master" key. I keep that in a drawer and have blanks made from it.

My daily ignition key git to the point I could not turn the ignition, but it worked fine in the doors.

When I compared it to the master, it was the square corners on the edges where the tumblers start that controls the insertion and helps set key depth.

I had new keys made from my master and the problem went away.

I would say if you now have one that is new and clean and works in everything, keep that one in the drawer and make copies from it.
Good advice!

This may be stating the obvious, but are you certain the hatch is original to the vehicle? Given the age, rust, damage, etc, the rear hatch isn't difficult to swap- the key passage is the same, but may be a different core. Just a thought.

This may be stating the obvious, but are you certain the hatch is original to the vehicle? Given the age, rust, damage, etc, the rear hatch isn't difficult to swap- the key passage is the same, but may be a different core. Just a thought.
Entirely possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom