Key/lock questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I'm starting to work on my 71 FJ40 and have no keys for it, the PO didn't have them anymore (it was sitting for 10 years). It's missing the ignition switch :mad: and I got one w/o a key and noticed a 5 or 6 digit number stamped on it. I was wondering if anyone knows if Toyota or a locksmith can make keys based on the VIN number (for the doors) and that number on the ignition switch. Any help you can give a newbie is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

a locksmith can make a key for you, i had to have one made for the lock on my ambulance doors i just took the lock out and took it to him and he made a key, but it wasnt cheap it cost me about $24.00. i have been told you can get new lock and keys from the toyota dealer for half that. might be worth a call, i dont know if they use the numbers or what, but the key i had made works great. good luck

Holy cow, i paid $8 and took the locksmith 5 mins to make a key for my amby doors, and that includes the three copies i also had made of that key. it was some really off the wall key blank.

toyota might be able to use that number, it more then likely is the same number on the numbered key which no toyota owner should use, that one gets packed away for safe keeping.

Trust me on this one... You'll be glad you just went and bought a new ignition switch and door lock from Toyota. I have a new ignition switch because my old one would just turn off on it's own as I was driving down the road!!

I also got a new lock for my rear hatch. So I have two nice new shiny Toyota keys and a 32 year old worn out Toyota door key.

Jody.

I bet you can put any key in the ignition and it will turn.

Just went through this... If the doors are orginal you can remove the door cylider lock and look for the code stamped on the lock, with this number they can cut you a new key that will fit both door and ignition. Can't remember, but I believe it was only a couple dollars and my time spent.

Thanks for the help. Outback how long ago did you get the ignition switch from Toyota, I thought it had been discontinued?

i had this same prob, I just took out all the pins in the lock... you do this by taking the lock apart and banging it upside down, the pins will all fall out and will turn with any key. I did this beacuse the lock set from toyota was $70 and the club is only $34 so any one can start my car but they cant tund the weel. If i park some place thats not safe i pull the lead coil wire. also i put the trans case in N. Also it's a 3 on the tree, good luck finding 1st... if you know what i mean.

I actually got it from $OR when I was a noob. It came in a Toyota box. About 6 years ago????

You know the drill... PM C-Dan. He'll know AND have a better price!

Jody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom