Keep or remove California SMOG components? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After some thought I decided it was best for my situation to remove the smog pump and related components. 1) I am not required to pass any sort of emissions testing where I live, 2) I figure if I do not need the parts, it makes sense to remove them now and either save them for a possible complete restoration down the line, or set them aside for possible sale to a Californian in need.

After removing the pump and the two air lines, I have two questions I need some direction on:

1. I the first picture below, the flexible hose coming off of the EGR cooler is only supported by the connection of the hoses, so it's basically flexible. It obviously is intended to be supported with a bracket of some sort, but mine is free standing at the moment. It also seems to have a slight leak where the EGR valve threads on... There is a location that looks to be the same size/shape on the manifold seen in the second picture, but I'm not sure if the EGR valve is supposed to mount there as the current length of the flexible hose will not allow it. It's possible the PO rigged it up this way, but it doesn't seem correct to me...

2. I ordered the air rail cap and plug delete kit from TLC, but there is a vacuum line connected to the ABV unit at the moment in the third picture below. I assume I am OK to plug this line?
Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 6.58.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 6.56.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 6.32.35 PM.png

Here's some pics of my 2/76 FJ40's stock EGR valve mount. The bottom of it is trimmed slightly to make room for my EGR cooler. Sorry for the poor quality pics, my rig is currently at the engine rebuilders.

Thank you for posting the pictures. I now know I do not have the correct bracket, or any bracket at all. I did a quick search and was not able to come up any for sale, but based on the pictures you posted, I think I can probably make a bracket to do the job.

@BIRDMAN84 how did it turn out? It looks like you were making progress in February - did you complete the de smog and are you happy with it?

I am still debating whether to do the same on my 05/78. At least part of the consideration for me is the need to adjust the valves and replace the exhaust manifold gasket, so a lot of that stuff has to be moved and/or disconnected anyway. Curious how your project worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom