KDSS Lean (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm sure most know about the topic, between landcruisers, 4runners and the 150, we have seen KDSS equipped Toyotas with either a lot of lean, little to none or none at all. Can any of you help me or make any suggestions.

I have tried this

It did not really do anything. On the most part I see from .75 to over 1 inch of difference sometimes.

Any help or experience would be appreciated. Pics
IMG_7412.JPG
IMG_7415.jpg
for attention

Something that worked on my 470 with KDSS...
I had a lean of about 1.5”, where the driver side was higher.
After looking into solutions, and talking to a local off-road shop, I loosened the hydraulics (2 Allen-head bolts, located under the DS, protected by a nice skid plate) about 3 turns.
I then drove in tight figure-8s at about 10 mph in a parking lot. This made the weight shift left to right several times, and equalized the hydraulics...somewhat.
I still have a slight lean, but I’m betting that it zero’s out as soon as I put my fat ass into the drivers seat.
Good luck...

Something that worked on my 470 with KDSS...
I had a lean of about 1.5”, where the driver side was higher.
After looking into solutions, and talking to a local off-road shop, I loosened the hydraulics (2 Allen-head bolts, located under the DS, protected by a nice skid plate) about 3 turns.
I then drove in tight figure-8s at about 10 mph in a parking lot. This made the weight shift left to right several times, and equalized the hydraulics...somewhat.
I still have a slight lean, but I’m betting that it zero’s out as soon as I put my fat ass into the drivers seat.
Good luck...
Thanks for that, I may have to try this method

i've got my lean corrector for 150 series coming out in the next 4 weeks. Its already live for GX470

effectively lengthens the front passenger link to "neutral" and both rear sway bar attachment points. Corrects lean, and offers some more rear wheel travel.

i've got my lean corrector for 150 series coming out in the next 4 weeks. Its already live for GX470

effectively lengthens the front passenger link to "neutral" and both rear sway bar attachment points. Corrects lean, and offers some more rear wheel travel.
Can't wait! Let me know when I can place an order

These guys are bringing some KDSS products to market very soon.

v0d5tSs.png

Link to product

1.jpeg
KDSS_Switch_1-3_1296x.jpeg

Last edited:

I have been curious about those and I am waiting for the GX 460 version to be released! Why one piece for the front instead of two? Also, I am very happy with the Dobinsons 2” lift I bought from you a few weeks ago. The 5.11 shirt is great too!

I have been curious about those and I am waiting for the GX 460 version to be released! Why one piece for the front instead of two? Also, I am very happy with the Dobinsons 2” lift I bought from you a few weeks ago. The 5.11 shirt is great too!
Do you have any lean after the install? I'm getting ready to install mine on my 2012.

Do you have any lean after the install? I'm getting ready to install mine on my 2012.
I could see a lean but waited until I drove it a while so the new suspension could settle. Before the ift I usually had a 1/4” lean in the front and 1/8” lean in the rear. I believe 1/2” or less is acceptable according to Lexus. These measurements were taken inside a garage on a flat floor.

After the lift install, parking in the same garage, I get just under a 1/2” lean. Parked on slightly uneven or sloped surfaces I can see a 1 1/2” lean. I don’t minedthe lean being so much on an uneven surface, but the 1/2” lean on a flat surface sometimes bothers me, even though Lexus says it okay.

I could see a lean but waited until I drove it a while so the new suspension could settle. Before the ift I usually had a 1/4” lean in the front and 1/8” lean in the rear. I believe 1/2” or less is acceptable according to Lexus. These measurements were taken inside a garage on a flat floor.

After the lift install, parking in the same garage, I get just under a 1/2” lean. Parked on slightly uneven or sloped surfaces I can see a 1 1/2” lean. I don’t minedthe lean being so much on an uneven surface, but the 1/2” lean on a flat surface sometimes bothers me, even though Lexus says it okay.

I have a 1/4-1/2" lean on a flat surface as well and that is considered pretty normal to pretty good haha. The left side of our drive way has a pitch to it and when the GX is parked there it magnifies the lean like you mentioned and it produces a solid 1.5" of lean. It always bothers me seeing it like that as I pull up even though I know it's because of the driveway. I hope that these Black Gate guys are truly on to something here with their KDSS switch module, because I am not a fan of this issue. We had three 5th Gen 4Runner's prior to this GX and I avoided KDSS on those for this reason. I appreciate the merits of KDSS but it isn't enough of a win to justify this lean issue as a trade off.

Yea, a lean would bother me too. I've never had that problem 🤞... Yet.
You can always claim to have a 500 lb wife/girl friend that causes it? :rofl:

Feedback from Blackgate Customs: "We don't have full production photos yet, we're working on getting the last oem connector to make it fully plug and play. Everything else is ready to go and we've been testing a pre-production version for months now on our KDSS 4runner. @blackgatecustoms and @bg_4rnr on Instagram are where most of our postings go and we've been updating with the progress on the switch and all of our other products as well."

"And the 4Runner/GX460 are identical underneath so it will work on the 460. We don't have a 470 to test on, but we'd love to see if the connector/electrical control portion of the system is the same because then it would work. I'll head over to that group and maybe we'll be able to find someone who would be willing to either take pictures or drop by and let us check it out."

Yea I have been in touch with them for a bit now as well. Interested to see what comes of this.

Randomly found this video on YouTube. So far after 300km. My lean is nearly non existent. All other methods I have tried did not resolve my lean

Randomly found this video on YouTube. So far after 300km. My lean is nearly non existent. All other methods I have tried did not resolve my lean

I don't speak Arabic so I couldn't follow along word for word haha. So are they lowering the rear or the front tire to the ground without touching before closing the valves? I'm assuming that you must have the passenger side completely off of the ground in order for it to equalize?

I wish I knew more about the KDSS system internals and how it works. I've seen this fix before, however I also read that it's temporary. On a side note, I disconnected my rear sway bar once from the rear end and was surprised at how much force the KDSS piston had. I had to use a floor jack to get it back into position to reattach it.

sorry for the delay in this, if a spacer was included on the front driver side you would impact all skidplates at down travel. Also, we have found that the lean is not really reduce when doing all 4. 3 has been the sweet spot. The sway bar goes back to flat when installing just the spacer on the front passenger side.

anxiously waiting for a solution. I took the family on a long trip and now my car seems to lean more than usual. my car is lifted now but it was leaning before it was lifted. I really wish the GX460 had basic sway bar instead of the KDSS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom