KDSS front sway bar off kilter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Y’all,

hoping i’m just overthinking this one. My front sway bar shifted about 1.5” to the driver’s side and is rubbing the steering knuckle on turns. Dealer won’t touch it because of the aftermarket suspension (icon stage 2), but the tech I spoke to looked it over and confirmed none of the parts are bad (brackets, bolts, bushings). Love the shop that did the lift, but they’re booked out for a couple months (good on them, they deserve the work).

anyway, I don’t want to ignore this because it does rub the steering knuckle. found a lot of guides for working with the front sway bar on kdss 4runners but not the GX. Can anyone let me know if my steps to try and fix this are right, or if there’s a shop here in GA that they’d recommend? Also, is there some sort of extended sway bar link for the passenger side (the fixed one, not the kdss piston)? I think this is slipping because of the lift + that fixed arm holding the sway bar higher on the passenger side than the piston holds it on the driver side.

1) unbolt sway bar from passenger LCA bracket.
2) unbolt sway bar from driver side LCA bracket
3) unbolt bracket from kdss piston on sway bar
4) re-position sway bar
5) re-attach sway bar to kdss piston
6) re-attach sway bar to fixed arm bracket on passenger side
7) re-attach to passenger LCA
8) re-attach to driver side LCA

will it just slip again?

im at a loss on this one and google hasn’t turned up anything
5B95EA82-44F1-4C7F-9741-6BEE14FF0B0F.jpeg

7F4F6564-17D5-456E-A912-E153EDB473F8.jpeg

You need to do it at ride height and install both LCA first, kdss cylinder, jack the cylinder and last attach the fixed side.

It can go off center like that when installed using wrong sequence.

You need to do it at ride height and install both LCA first, kdss cylinder, jack the cylinder and last attach the fixed side.

It can go off center like that when installed using wrong sequence.

thanks a ton for letting me know. Appreciate the info. Do I jack the kdss cylinder in order to be able to line up the fixed side? Figure I don’t want the truck jacked at all since you said ride height, yeah?

thanks a ton for letting me know. Appreciate the info. Do I jack the kdss cylinder in order to be able to line up the fixed side? Figure I don’t want the truck jacked at all since you said ride height, yeah?
Yes. Jack the kdss cylinder only to be able to bolt the fixed side.

Well this has turned into a confusing issue. I was able to readjust the sway bar pretty easily on Sunday. After driving it around, it had slipped off kilter again.

ACC garage was kind enough to work me j to their schedule today, and they found the same thing. They’d remove the sway bar and get it re-attached and lined up, then after a test drive it was out of place again.The KDSS piston seems to be pushing the sway bar lower than the fixed arm on the passenger side. So it sits angled down. Fortunately there’s no rub with the steering knuckle anymore. Next steps are hooking the car up to whatever machine Toyota has for the kdss system to figure out why the piston is pushing down like that.

fingers crossed it isn’t something stupid expensive because I know that kdss issues can get pricey quickly.

are you lifted? I bought some kdss spacer to address my learn. The front passenger fixed arm is now extended lower with the spacer.

hey thanks for that link!

I am lifted slightly (icon stage 2). I was wondering if I needed some sort of extended arm for the front passenger, but that seems like a great option. Is the idea that it just lowers that fixed arm a bit to make sure it’s level with the kdss piston (this hopefully keeping the sway bar level when the car is on flat ground)?

hey thanks for that link!

I am lifted slightly (icon stage 2). I was wondering if I needed some sort of extended arm for the front passenger, but that seems like a great option. Is the idea that it just lowers that fixed arm a bit to make sure it’s level with the kdss piston (this hopefully keeping the sway bar level when the car is on flat ground)?

yup, i know each truck is going to be a different depending on the bushings, lift, suspensions component and what not. But these spacers allowed me to fix my kdss lean. I imagine it will address your problem since it seems like your hydraulic kdss cylinder is extending further down than the fixed side, allowing the sway bar to travel more on the driver side. this will level it out so the sway bar sits properly.

side note, you have the older model sway bar bushing on the LCA. the newer one has a lip on the bushing. If you never replaced them, might as well give them a shot. I replaced all 4, two on the LCA and two on stabilizer bars.

I imagine it will address your problem since it seems like your hydraulic kdss cylinder is extending further down than the fixed side, allowing the sway bar to travel more on the driver side.

that's exactly what is going on.

yup, i know each truck is going to be a different depending on the bushings, lift, suspensions component and what not. But these spacers allowed me to fix my kdss lean.
yeah, i figure it might not be a perfect fit since everyone's lift is a bit different, but it can't be much worse than mine is right now, lol. may shoot Kyle an email to see if I can get the height of the spacers to compare against some measurements about how much lower the kdss cylinder sits than the fixed arm.

side note, you have the older model sway bar bushing on the LCA. the newer one has a lip on the bushing. If you never replaced them, might as well give them a shot. I replaced all 4, two on the LCA and two on stabilizer bars.

If i snag these from the dealer would i need to ask for the bushings from a newer GX470, or do the newer bushings with the lip supersede the old ones my '04 came with? Just want to make sure I snag the right ones.

Thanks a ton for your input here. Gonna try to knock this fix out next week while I'm on PTO.

that's exactly what is going on.

yeah, i figure it might not be a perfect fit since everyone's lift is a bit different, but it can't be much worse than mine is right now, lol. may shoot Kyle an email to see if I can get the height of the spacers to compare against some measurements about how much lower the kdss cylinder sits than the fixed arm.

If i snag these from the dealer would i need to ask for the bushings from a newer GX470, or do the newer bushings with the lip supersede the old ones my '04 came with? Just want to make sure I snag the right ones.

Thanks a ton for your input here. Gonna try to knock this fix out next week while I'm on PTO.

i remember going to the toyota dealer and they pulled it up by looking at the 4runner with kdss. i think it was a 2010+. they said there was only one model and it does supersede the old one. i have a 06. the image will help them pull up the part number.
1593557892243.png

UPDATE: this issue has persisted, and I could really use some advice.

ISSUE
KDSS sway bar sits way off-level with the KDSS piston side (driver’s side) sitting much lower than the passenger side. The sway bar has also shifted towards the drivers side (see below photo). It sticks out far enough on the DS to rub the steering knuckle on turns. It’s barely past the bushing on the passenger side LCA.

The truck sits level front and rear. No passenger side lean. The rear sway bar is level, and has no issues with the KDSS piston jutting down. There’s no rub on the panhard bar either.
91D7F98D-2B72-405F-AF63-5B33969C5953.jpeg
FDFA3443-FA29-4F63-87EF-5A911EFFE775.jpeg

ATTEMPTED FIXES
1 shop (really great shop in atlanta) and I have attempted the same fix: removing the sway bar, replacing all 4 bushings, jacking up the KDSS piston, and re-attaching the sway bar. It sits level like it should until you drive the truck. One short trip through the parking lot and it’s back to being off kilter.

I have the treaty oak spacer kit. I have been hesitant to use it because the rear suspension looks perfect, and I don’t want to introduce extra variables back there.

I have not been able to find examples of the sway bar shifting off angle and slipping like this. All I can find is on kdss lean which I don’t have right now.

Any thoughts on this? I’m at a loss, and the Lexus dealers I’ve called won’t touch it because of the lift.

UPDATE: this issue has persisted, and I could really use some advice.

ISSUE
KDSS sway bar sits way off-level with the KDSS piston side (driver’s side) sitting much lower than the passenger side. The sway bar has also shifted towards the drivers side (see below photo). It sticks out far enough on the DS to rub the steering knuckle on turns. It’s barely past the bushing on the passenger side LCA.

The truck sits level front and rear. No passenger side lean. The rear sway bar is level, and has no issues with the KDSS piston jutting down. There’s no rub on the panhard bar either.
View attachment 2671876View attachment 2671880

ATTEMPTED FIXES
1 shop (really great shop in atlanta) and I have attempted the same fix: removing the sway bar, replacing all 4 bushings, jacking up the KDSS piston, and re-attaching the sway bar. It sits level like it should until you drive the truck. One short trip through the parking lot and it’s back to being off kilter.

I have the treaty oak spacer kit. I have been hesitant to use it because the rear suspension looks perfect, and I don’t want to introduce extra variables back there.

I have not been able to find examples of the sway bar shifting off angle and slipping like this. All I can find is on kdss lean which I don’t have right now.

Any thoughts on this? I’m at a loss, and the Lexus dealers I’ve called won’t touch it because of the lift.

Since you already have the Treaty Oak KDSS lean-eliminator kit, just install it to see if it does anything for your problem.
Its very easy to install, and can be completely removed just as easily...no drilling or any permanent mods.
As you know, the front is 1 spacer, the rear is 2. Because the rear spacers are the same height, they shouldn’t “influence” the front in any significant way.
And, just perhaps, getting your front and rear sways back to their original geometry might help your main issue.
Good luck...

Since you already have the Treaty Oak KDSS lean-eliminator kit, just install it to see if it does anything for your problem.
Its very easy to install, and can be completely removed just as easily...no drilling or any permanent mods.
As you know, the front is 1 spacer, the rear is 2. Because the rear spacers are the same height, they shouldn’t “influence” the front in any significant way.
And, just perhaps, getting your front and rear sways back to their original geometry might help your main issue.
Good luck...

can just the front spacer be installed? The rear geometry is pretty much perfect. Would rather not install spacers there when the front is the only issue.

can just the front spacer be installed? The rear geometry is pretty much perfect. Would rather not install spacers there when the front is the only issue.
I’d reach out to Kyle at Treaty Oak with that question...

It kinda sounds like your KDSS is malfunctioning, when driving pressure is being shunted to the front piston and building there, driving it down, and pushing the sway down and outwards a bit would be my theory. Have you tried opening the shudder valves and leaving them open for a short drive? it’s not a permanent fix but may help diagnose.

You could try the spacer on either side pretty easily, but I doubt this problem is directly related to the lift.

Perhaps your bushings are worn?

The bushings are supposed to keep the bar in place, and the bushings each live between the two raised ribs. In your case the ribs are probably squishing through the bushings.

Could be a good time to upgrade to poly bushings, which will be cheaper anyway. Well worth the $20 experiment.

Bushings circled in red, raised ribs pointed out with green arrows.

1593557892243~2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom