Katit's LX470 2000 - take #2 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If your just going to swap battery for testing purposes, try a Toyota brand. They are cheap and have a 72 month warranty.

Yeah.. I did replace starter in 2001 I had so I know exactly what it is. Actually I didn't replace it, I rebuilt it. Might just have to do the same here... There is no history of starter replacement, maybe it's time.

Will probably swap a battery just because and see where it goes.. Any suggestions on which battery to get?
Oooo, info on starter rebuild? I'm not sure what's in the (currently still dead) engine in my '05LX, but if it's the original (or at least a quality replacement) I wouldn't mind rebuilding it while I've got it all apart.

I'm a big fan of Odyssey AGM batteries. They aren't cheap, but IMO a good battery is a worthy investment for an off-road rig.

Regarding the starter, a Denso reman is usually around $100 from Rock Auto. I have one in my rig and it's been fine for 3.5 years now.

I'm a big fan of Odyssey AGM batteries. They aren't cheap, but IMO a good battery is a worthy investment for an off-road rig.

Regarding the starter, a Denso reman is usually around $100 from Rock Auto. I have one in my rig and it's been fine for 3.5 years now.
Called Toyota dealership. Battery is $155+tax. I think I will go with it. It's not off-road truck for me, and odyssey @ almost $400 would be overkill

More questions to those who knows/have opinion.

According to this, even if I see voltage of 12.4-12.5 - car should start just fine. But in my case it just clicks.
Also, when testing load with special tool and it's at 12.4 - I can see it in "yellow".

I kind of think that this maybe battery is Ok-ish on a low side, but starter wants full juice to run. Meaning starter will need to be replaced.

99% sure it's your starter solenoid. A Denso reman starter is usually around the $100 mark on Rock Auto. Mine is still going strong 3.5 years after installing it.

Valve covers. They were seeping a little, plus oil in spark plug wells.

Looks like passenger side was replaced, you can see how those blue seals all crooked??! Can't they install them any better? One is torn. Bolts all smashed. One bolt wasn't even tightened all the way. But inside is all good.

Driver side spark plug well seals black/original and all cracked and hard as rock. Gaskets all were OK but will be replaced anyway

Good news - under covers it's not so bad. No visible cam wear.

IMG_0036.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg

When I was taking intake out I noticed mixed up nuts. One tall 14mm nut was on top of intake bracket. That was a give away that someone was working on it.
Sure enough - it's Toyota reman. But I don't have any history of starter replacement so no idea when.

Couple of things I see right away. Terminal where power connects wasn't tightened properly, see how it looks burned up and even "cut" on a side?
Another things - contacts weren't properly contacting plunger.

IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0038.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom