K02 vs KM3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a KO2 that I had to plug a few months back that is slowly leaking. I know Discount will want to replace it under warranty at which point I'll just go new all the way around. That being said anyone here have any experience with the KM3 and how it compares with the KO2?

Thanks,
Jim

I have KM3's on the FJ40 and KO2s on the Taco. They both seem to be holding up better than the KM2's and KO's they replaced.

The FJ40 has 35's and the Taco has 33's, but I can't really tell much difference between them as far as traction on dry rocks and sand.

On wet rocks the KO2's definitely grip better and I have slid the FJ40 several times on wet rocks.

Mud advantage definitely goes to the KM3's with their wider blocks. Sticky red mud turns both tires into racing slicks, but the KM3's will clean out faster.

Neither do particularly well on ice & snow.

I drive further on pavement in the Taco, and the KO2's are much nicer on pavement and I doubt I would ever go back to mud tires on it.

I ran KO's on the FJ40 for a few months and it just doesn't look right to me without mud tires.

In the end I like both tires and will keep the KM3's on the FJ40 and KO2's on the Taco.

Thanks for the video. Key parameter on Tim's review is at 10:45. Weight of the tire is key. Especially for braking. Get the lightest tire for your load range required. Lately it seems everything is load range E which are too heavy a tire for most weekend trips on 80s. Manufacture's should provide more load range options so we get more options in lighter weight tires. 5 to 10 lbs lighter per tire makes a difference. E mud terrains are best wasted on brodozer pickups.

Thanks for the video. Key parameter on Tim's review is at 10:45. Weight of the tire is key. Especially for braking. Get the lightest tire for your load range required. Lately it seems everything is load range E which are too heavy a tire for most weekend trips on 80s. Manufacture's should provide more load range options so we get more options in lighter weight tires. 5 to 10 lbs lighter per tire makes a difference. E mud terrains are best wasted on brodozer pickups.

What I have seen as I am looking at new tires for my 80, you really do not get into lower rated sidewalls till you hit 37s.

The Geolandar from Yokohama is 5lbs lighter and $70 a piece cheaper through Discount Tire/America Tire.

I spend hours watching reviews on both the KM3 and Geolandar MT G003.

Well everything I've seen and read tells me to stick with the KO2's.

Jim

Well everything I've seen and read tells me to stick with the KO2's.

Jim
My favorite tire, I've had 2 sets of those, and a bunch of older sets of AT & MT BFG's. Works well for just about everything like Tim mentioned. Never had KM3's, but there's no question the KO2 are a better choice than the KM2s for all around off roading.

I have the Muds on one cruiser and all terrains on the truck and see what he is talking about and agree with him.. Both tires work well

we really like the Procomp MTts we have on the 80 and LX450 - bought after Michael reported really good traction with Procomps on his Blazer

but now, the Procomps have been discontinued for 80-series wheels in the 315 size by 4Wheel Parts, so I have to find something else for my 40, which also runs 80-series wheels

our original idea was to have all three vehicles with 80-series wheels on the same tires, for interchangeability, but evidently, I was too late on the tire buy for the 40 :doh:

trending towards the newest BFG MT's right now . . . if only just for the looks :rolleyes:

I will never drive the miles to wear tires down on the 40 in those 5 years of tire use allowed by the AZ dry climate, so I really want the best grip on the trail - doesn't matter to me if the thread is shot at 25000 miles :meh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom