JW Offroad Spare Tire Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder what the FJ Cruiser has in the door that allows the strut/spare tire combo to work?

I tried all sorts of combos and couldn't get the FJ strut to work on my GX. I'm curious why the FJ doesn't have seam failures.

Either way, got an email saying my carrier shipped.

Test time is coming!

I wonder what the FJ Cruiser has in the door that allows the strut/spare tire combo to work?

I tried all sorts of combos and couldn't get the FJ strut to work on my GX. I'm curious why the FJ doesn't have seam failures.

Either way, got an email saying my carrier shipped.

Test time is coming!

Speaking of the FJ, I started reading up on their spare tire carrier since it’s similar to our setup. Those guys struggle to carry anything larger than a 35” without causing damage. Some have used the washer method in the hinges to fix the droop. Others had to get the seam welded. I hoping the JW door/carrier support bracket will help as advertised.

Last edited:
Speaking of the FJ, I started reading up on there spare tire carrier since it’s similar to our setup. Those guys struggle to carry anything larger than a 35” without causing damage. Some have used the washer method in the hinges to fix the droop. Others had to get the seam welded. I hoping the JW door/carrier support bracket will help as advertised.
Good to know! Who would have thought it’s so hard to carry a spare.

There's actually 3 options. The standard, then a 2.5" and a 3.5" option.

They hug closer to the door.

I opted for the 3.5" version. I run 285/70/17's on an FN 5 Star wheel. I want the wheel as close to the body as possible. The farther the wheel is from the body, the greater the effects of leverage will be. Think holding a gallon of milk at full arms extension vs closer in towards your body.

Knowing there is a weak point somewhere in the door/hinge/skin combination, I'm thinking that keeping the wheel as close as possible will only help offset the possibility of failure.

Also worth mentioning, you give up the option of adding his hi-lift or rotopax carriers with the 2.5" for sure and possibly with the 3.5" option. In an email with Nick, he said the plate holder will still work with the 3.5" version with my wheels and tires.

Mine should be in this week. I'll have it mounted this weekend if it gets in. No baja roads in the PNW but I'll take it out camping deep in the Cascade Mountains and drink some gourmet coffee and micro brew IPA near a campfire with it. So, kinda the same, but not exactly...

If you are looking at either option and have added a strut in place of your OE stop, you may want to go back, not to assist with opening, but to keep it from closing on you. The added weight of a spare on the back on any type of side incline is going to push the door back on you pretty hard, I was going to put a strut on ours, but since we put the Becky on, I find I use the lock feature almost every time the door is open to make sure the door doesn't crush me while I am in the back doing things. Perhaps a strut assist for the OE stop would be the best of both, but would require some added thought.

If you are looking at either option and have added a strut in place of your OE stop, you may want to go back, not to assist with opening, but to keep it from closing on you. The added weight of a spare on the back on any type of side incline is going to push the door back on you pretty hard, I was going to put a strut on ours, but since we put the Becky on, I find I use the lock feature almost every time the door is open to make sure the door doesn't crush me while I am in the back doing things. Perhaps a strut assist for the OE stop would be the best of both, but would require some added thought.
I don’t understand why everybody swaps the lock for a strut. I love being able to open my door in the garage without worrying about the door opening into the garage door and the lock works great.

Great point - I think I'll be swapping my OE assembly back on.

No. Apparently when the owner said it was shipping "tomorrow" he meant it was shipping in three "tomorrows". It should be here middle of next week.
Yeah can’t wait to see some installs and get some road trip results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom